Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 cars - 1 policy?

Options
  • 28-06-2004 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭

do any of the insurance companies offer the option of insuring 2 family cars under one policy?

lots of families have more than one car - seems like it would be a popular product. insurance companies already consider familes a lower risk - axa give a discount if you put your spouse on your policy as a named driver...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Hibernian will give you discount on second policy but will not insure two car on one policy.

it's not this simple

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hibernian *used* to insure up to 2 cars on one policy, but this no longer applies.

The best you can do there is transfer some of your no claims bonus years over to the new policy (Hibernian do this I know, not suer about other insurers)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is all part of the motor insurance scam and happens accross the world.
    If you have a 2nd car, you are forced to take out a 2nd policy. Furthermore, the NCB from your 1st policy does not go towards the 2nd policy and thus you are forced to begin a 2nd NCB (and pay the prices accordingly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

If you don't particularly need fire/theft/comprehensive cover on the second car, just register it to somebody else in your family. Then you're legally covered to drive it under your own policy's "anybody else's vehicle with their consent" clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Try the AA - they do two car - 1 policy afaik

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The AA are brokers but do not carry any policies that cover two cars - I tried myself before!

I don't know about the Irish branch, but any quotes I've had from the British AA in the past have always been way over the odds on premium. Either they add a huge brokerage fee or they don't have a particularly good deal with the underwriters.

I remember about 12 years ago getting quotes for my old '72 LeMans. Several companies came in around the £300 to £400 mark. The AA's best quote was £850, third party onl. (Told them I only wanted insurance, not shares in the company!) In the end I got third party fire & theft for £105. That sticks in my mind as about the largest differential ever from lowest to highest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    just register it to somebody else in your family. Then you're legally covered to drive it under your own policy's "anybody else's vehicle with their consent" clause.

The vehicle has to be privatly insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

just register it to somebody else in your family. Then you're legally covered to drive it under your own policy's "anybody else's vehicle with their consent" clause

How can you tax it without a valid insurance cert for the vehicle

This came up in another thread. Maybe the situation is different in Ireland, but here in the U.K. you don't have to produce a certificate that relates specifically to the vehicle.

You only have to produce a certificate which covers your use of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Two cars insured under two different policies at the moment. Told by AXA that once the policy with hibernian is up I can go back to them and get the two insured together at the same time extending the in force AXA policy by 12 months while bringing the car that is currently insured with Hibernian over to AXA at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by pipers
    just register it to somebody else in your family. Then you're legally covered to drive it under your own policy's "anybody else's vehicle with their consent" clause

How can you tax it without a valid insurance cert for the vehicle
    did you try thr website all the look for is a number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I have 3 cars and my house insured with Hibernian through a broker. They won't turn away that kind of business. Muppets like Quinn Direct will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The only way to cover multiple cars on one policy is to take out trader insurance.
    This really only makes sense if you have several cars and can't keep transferring the insurance from one to the other. If you own more than one car, insure the most valuable and transfer to the other when needed. Any car that is used on Irish roads must be covered by a dedicated policy, so if you use one car and someone else needs to use the other, it must be insured separately.

I have both car policies with Hibernian through a broker - Hibernian Direct would be €100 cheaper but I can phone any time during office hours and move my insurance between cars ( I have two Cinquecentos, two Fiestas, a '68 Mini, a '77 Renault 5 and a Renault Espace) but if one breaks down there is usually a spare.... When I checked the trader insurance last year it was going to add €1500 to my annual bill so didn't bother, but I have moved from one car to another ten times in twelve months. My policy of spending less on cars than on dog food forces this policy. Oh and yes officer, they are all taxed ;-)

'ceptr

Advertisement