Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool To make 'major announcement' at 3

• 28-06-2004 1:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I wounder what it will be it could be....

a load of things.....If it is Stevie G:

option 1) He is making an official "i am staying" statement

option 2) The club will anounce he has handed in an official TF request.

Or it could be about the on/off investment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Could just be Cisse's press conference .

or maybe Benitez has brought some1 from Valencia with him .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

it could also be ....Owen new contract.

Originally posted by Dub13
    it could also be ....Owen new contract.

With the possibility of Gerrard leaving I dont think so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it would be great to see gerrard leave which will probably happen. it would see the final collapse of liverpool and send them into new lows. with a new stadium on the way the need every penny they can get and why not cash in on gerrard and owen if someone is stupid enough to pay 30m each for them.

benetiz will instantly be the new gerrard houllier if he lets gerrard or owen go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Originally posted by smemon
    it would be great to see gerrard leave which will probably happen. it would see the final collapse of liverpool and send them into new lows. with a new stadium on the way the need every penny they can get and why not cash in on gerrard and owen if someone is stupid enough to pay 30m each for them.

benetiz will instantly be the new gerrard houllier if he lets gerrard or owen go.

That says a lot about what you no.....LFC do not need every penny they can get,just because other clubs go into the red to build a new ground does not mean LFC does...you just hope it does.The cash for the new ground is allready there,and it will not affect cash for new players.

When you wright something you should realy no what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

and united fans wonder why they're hated:rolleyes:

Anyway, hopefully it's good news:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

:rolleyes:

i don't think they would have a 'major' press conference just to say stevie has handed in a transfer request, maybe if his sale has been concluded

cisse joins on july 1, so it shouldn't be that, yet

couldn't see owen signing until the gerrard saga has ended, i don't see him staying tbh

couldn't complain if its a several million £ investment, thats what i'm leaning toward

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

it could be a lot of things:

1. Gerrard to go
    2. Gerrard to stay
    3. Owen to go or stay
    4. New signing (doubt it as transfer window not open till Thursday)
    5. Investment plan
    6. Rafa's new number 2 (could be Gary Mac)
    7. Development of new stadium to commence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Koptalk says Stevie's staying. That's good enough for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

oh yes, im sure the new stadium wont go a penny over budget, sure no stadium ever has! liverpool are not as safe and secure as you'd think.

failure in europe over the next few years will hit them hard and if they continue to flop in the league, their finances wont be long drying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For me, it can only be about a number two or an investement.

IGNORE smemon, he is just trying to provoke people into responding to him.

oh yes, im sure the new stadium wont go a penny over budget, sure no stadium ever has! liverpool are not as safe and secure as you'd think.

failure in europe over the next few years will hit them hard and if they continue to flop in the league, their finances wont be long drying up.

well, you can always hope :)

benitez will definetly want Gerrard to stay .
    His succes at Valencia has been down to a strong midfield mainly .

Vicente , Baraija , Aimar .

He definetly wont want his best midfielder gone .
    Unless he could get Baraija /Aimar for the price of Gerrard .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Houllier to return as number 2 :D

Or the above more sensible ideas expressed are more than likely it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sky Sports text say its to confirm Gerrard is to stay at Anfield so i'd be 99% sure thats what it is.

Originally posted by Big Ears

Unless he could get Baraija /Aimar for the price of Gerrard .

rumour is baraja for £8m, he didn't have a great euro2004 though
    bayern have said they'll let hargreaves go, don't fancy him myself, but some people do
    don't fancy aimar either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He's staying put.

STEVEN GERRARD is to stay at Liverpool.

The captain has turned down the chance of a money-spinning move to Chelsea to remain at Anfield and spearhead the club's assault on honours under new boss Rafael Benitez.

Huyton-born Gerrard had been offered around £120,000 per week to move to Stamford Bridge, where he was being wooed by new manager Jose Mourinho via Roman Abramovich's millions.

His commitment to the club, which is thought to have come after he had a major change of heart over the weekend, was being announced at a press conference at Anfield this afternoon.

His decision marks another success for chief executive Rick Parry and the Liverpool board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    IGNORE smemon, he is just trying to provoke people into responding to him.
    I only ever get to read what he says when people quote him:D

I'm hoping they are announcing SG is staying with the possibility of it being a double announcement to include the Thai backers.

Could also be the backroom staff announcements but I don't see it including Gary Mac as somebody suggested earlier - doesn't he work for the players agency that SG belongs to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Get ****ing in there! Thank Christ England got knocked out of Euro 2004 so he had a chance to get home and have some sense talked into him. Lampard and Terry's little plan has fallen on it's arse.

Originally posted by smuckers

His commitment to the club, which is thought to have come after he had a major change of heart over the weekend

what an interesting thing to say, so, if true, that still questions his character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I only ever get to read what he says when people quote him

Good idea, I always forget about the ignore option. Sorted so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Story in the Liverpool Echo is that he has decided to stay.

Sky Sports News just reported that Gerrard is definately staying and they believe Benitez has bought Michael Ballack. Nothing concrete yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

any1 hear anythin yet? 2 mins gone! haha! bet they r sellin baros for 3 mil to Aston Villa

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Someone give me news ... Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    any1 hear anythin yet? 2 mins gone! haha! bet they r sellin baros for 3 mil to Aston Villa

Im my dreams only!!

Steven Gerrard confirms he is staying with Liverpool. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Gerrard Staying ........ YAY :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It has just been announced that he is indeed staying put.

• Advertisement

Was that it? alot of fuss over nothin! prob do a Beckham now! No Im stayin!! 2-3 weeks later he history!!

Steven Gerrard today ended speculation that he might leave Liverpool this summer by committing his future to the Anfield club.

The 24-year-old England midfielder, who signed a new four-year deal on November 11 last year, had been strongly linked with a switch to Chelsea during Euro 2004.

But Liverpool issued a statement this afternoon, revealing Gerrard's intention to remain with the Reds giving new manager Rafael Benitez a huge boost.

The statement read: Steven Gerrard has today quashed all speculation linking him with a move away from Anfield by pledging his future to Liverpool Football Club.

The news will come as a huge relief to Liverpudlians everywhere who feared the club was set to lose the services of their highly influential captain.

Gerrard was the key figure last season as Liverpool just managed to secure the fourth Champions League spot.

And Stamford Bridge chief executive Peter Kenyon has already confirmed that Roman Abramovich would be happy to bankroll the move for Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by super_furry
    Steven Gerrard confirms he is staying with Liverpool. :D:D

Absolutely fantastic news

fair play raffa
    you managed to get our best player (prob best midfielder in the premiership) to turn down £120,000 a week. All I hope now is that the reported transfers of world class players that is needed to keep Gerrard and Owen (although at the moment Cisse and Baros would be my starting strikers) at the club also happen.

great, now rafa can focus on bringing in new players
    owen could even sign now, though that should've been announced today also

Was Rafa not told that he will have to clear out some of the dead wood(mostly French) before he can buuy because Houllier spent it all keeping clubs in France alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't think so, but it'd be nice if he did.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Was Rafa not told that he will have to clear out some of the dead wood(mostly French) before he can buuy because Houllier spent it all keeping clubs in France alive?
    In a word - NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

but to be fair he'll probably set about doing so anyway I'd a thought...

don't think so either, but theres talk of cheyrou, traore and smicer being sold to french clubs
    still no mention of biscan though :p

Liverpool will be a forced to be reckoned with if they get Ballack,although it could see Gerrard sitting back .

I know a lot of people have been talking about Cisse and Baros up front which is a good partnership , dont be suprised if Benitez uses 5 in the middle a lot , and 1 up front .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ballack has supposedly told german papers he's in talks with Liverpool, Barcelona and others. Liverpool are trying to get the transfer fee down to £8,000,000, although there's probably a possibilty of Hamann going the other direction.

Get us a decent right-sided player, (or give Partridge a run) and we'd have an incredible midfield. Kewell, Gerrard and Ballack, they'd run riot.

• Advertisement

different tactics for different games, the 3 points are whats important, and good entertaining football:eek:

..............................Gerrard.......Ballack........................

Partridge.....................................................Kewell......

thats a damn good midfield , but it could involve Gerrard sitting back , which he didnt look to good at in the Euros

Still not convinced Partridge will make it. Talking to my cousin over the weekend (lived in Liverpool all his life) and the rumour going around Anfield is that the only reason Partridge was offered a new deal is because he's Owen's best mate at the club (he's also marrying his sister) and if he's there, Owen is more likely to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This all sounds very positive indeed. Gerard a certainty and with a big player like Ballack a possibility, it all sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by super_furry
    Still not convinced Partridge will make it. Talking to my cousin over the weekend (lived in Liverpool all his life) and the rumour going around Anfield is that the only reason Partridge was offered a new deal is because he's Owen's best mate at the club (he's also marrying his sister) and if he's there, Owen is more likely to sign.

Have heard that allright, but different manager, some people clearly rate him - Macca at Coventry. Rafa will most likely assess everyone fairly without preconceptions so its upto Richie from there. Good luck to him.

its just speculation though, there was a lot of speculation that gerrard was leaving and look now, so i'll believe it when i see the press conference
    if he plays like he did for germany in the euro champ' he'd be a good buy, for the right price
    he is unsettled and bayern want didi, so it could happen
    and the barca deal is supposed to be dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cisse/Baros is the way Liverpool should go next season up front, providing Baros can remain injury free.

I have said before that I think Owen needs a new challenge in his career, I think he has gone "stale" at Liverpool, in much the same way that Beckham did at Manchester United, it seems Owen's time at Liverpool should come to an end, for his sake, and the sake of the club. I don't think he would settle for a place on the bench behind the Cisse/Baros partnership.

Another thing I noticed about Owen in the Euro's is that he seems unwilling to run at his top speed, perhaps he is concerned about his hamstring.

His contract is up at Liverpool next summer, and they should sell him now. I don't expect Liverpool to do spectacularly well next season, and if they don't then Owen could walk away on a Bosman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its indeed good news to hear that Stevie is staying at Liverpool, but lets not get carried away. Whilst I agree that he is one of Liverpool's better players, he doesn't have close ball control and that lets him down on many's an occasion.

He does combat well and can hit the ball well, even scoring the odd goal, and he has good pace. Liverpool do need him badly, escpeially as Murphy was off form (dropped) for most of last season.

But whats more important for Liverpool is that they have now shown that they can compete and keep players even though there is a 36m ukp offer out for them. OK, Liverpool cant match that amount in the marketplace, and Stevie is a Liverpudlian, but it is an important stance to take and shows that money is not everything (although it nearly is!).

Owen is needed at Liverpool with Baros, and with Cisse as replacement for Heskey. Liverpool are likely to have the same set of players as last year, by and large. I dont see them purchasing a star for 30m, although Duff at 15m might be plausible. Maybe Bannor knows more.

Hopefully the new manager can gel the players better and make them play more enterprising football and at least make some sort of a challenge. Its a new start.

Originally posted by eyerer
    its just speculation though, there was a lot of speculation that gerrard was leaving and look now, so i'll believe it when i see the press conference
    if he plays like he did for germany in the euro champ' he'd be a good buy, for the right price
    he is unsettled and bayern want didi, so it could happen
    and the barca deal is supposed to be dead
    Gerrard leaving was not "just speculation" - last night he was preparing to go on his holidays and had already given his agent instructions to sort out his move to Chelsea. He had a change of heart over night and informed the club earlier today.

As stated before Benitez contacted Bayern about getting Ballack as a replacement for Gerrard. Whether he still wants him now that Gerrard is staying is another matter.

Ballack wants a move to Barcelona. Bayern want to sell him but ideally they want an auction for the player. Barcelona won't be held to ransom and have decided to go after the man Bayern saw Ballack's replacement - Deco. There's still a bit to run in the transfer saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Admirable enough , considering the money he's probably turned down , We will need to show a lot more proress in the coming season to keep him though ...

press conference video clip (~2 mins)
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/newsflash/special_event3_medium.ram

Full interview text
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N145277040628-1602.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement