Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool To make 'major announcement' at 3

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I heard a similar story to redspiders one. Blackburn offered more money to ManU and more money to Roy Keane. Keane decided that playing for ManU was worth the reduction in wages - he was still getting a massive increase from what he was on at ManU.

But the transfer price was interesting. Ferguson wanted Keane, but ManU wouldnt match the £4m (as far as I remember) offer by Blackburn. So Ferguson persuaded Clough to persuade the Forest board to accept the ManU bid. I think 3.6m was the figure paid in the end by ManU. Thats all the facts. Why did they accept the lower bid (instead for example of going to, say, Arsenal, Liverpool, Celtic or even Spurs (who Keane supported) for a counter offer)? The specualtion is that clough was promised a 100k if the Keane transfer to United went ahead. The speculation continues that Ferguson did Clough and only gave him 50k. Clough obviously couldnt complain. Clough believes Ferguson pocketed the other 50k (hence Clough ALWAYS refers to Ferguson as "greedy", "hungry Scotsman" and similar whenever he's asked about him), but whether Ferguson really did get any money out of it is completely unknown. But as I said, this is all speculation, not to mention ancient history. Certainly nobody would sue about it, as they would only bring the story back into the newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Barcalona have just alleged that Man Utd. have tapped up Pique. Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and dont forget Bellion was tapped up aswell , and United were forced by the FA to pay compensation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

according to skysports owen is going to sign a 2 year extension worth 80K a week, is he worth 80k a week? is he **** (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

119 goals in 221 games for the club? Of course he is.

no doubt he was a very good player, just seems now that his wages are inversely proportional to his performances
    still, we'll see next season
    i think this could well be his last season at liverpool, i'm glad hes gonna sign a 2 year extension so liverpool can cash in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I’ve looked at a few books by Ferguson and Dalglish and it seems that there was quite a bit of animosity between them before the Keane bung saga. Ferguson managed Scotland for a while but immediately dropped Dalglish who was on 97 caps at the time and just short of the 100 caps milestone. Ferguson tormented him, Dalglish was 34 at the time and obviously still playing well enough to warrant a place on the Scotland team (it was tougher in those days though!). Dalglish did get picked though mainly due to pressure from the Scottish media and fans, etc. Ferguson is not revered in Scotland particularly at Celtic, although he will always have backing in Aberdeen.

The pair clashed again when at Liverpool and Man U. Dalglish insulted Ferguson on several occasions and the press and media lapped up these spites, favouring Dalglish. They clashed again when Dalglish went to Blackburn, where in the shape of Walker they had the Abramovich of the day and bought their way to success (although it took a canny Dalglish to get them there). Ferguson and Dalglish competed for every signing. There was even talk that Man U weren’t interested in Roy at all until Blackburn showed their interest and after Nottm For were relegated. If Alex was really interested in Roy, why didn’t he chase him the year before? It wasn’t as if Roy had changed his play. The pair also clashed over getting Shearer. Also, Dalglish had to suffer Man U collecting the trophy when playing Blackburn, and it was thought at the time that the presenting of the trophy was setup by Alex especially at that match to rile Kenny. Blackburn lost the match to rub the salt even further. But Dalglish had the augh the next year when Blackburn won the league on the last day just pipping Man U.

The bungs for Keane are only one part of a long saga of animosity.

For those that may think that Alex is squeaky clean, he definitely isn’t when it comes to bungs. No-one who managed in that era was. Onl "fools" didnt take any money. It was the done thing, just as today agents get percentages.

In terms of relevance, I think bungs and payments to agents are much more of a problem than tapping, as the former takes money from the sport whereas the latter is nearly impossible to stop and police – people will talk.

Send in the UK CAB, if htey have one, on them I say to prove where they got their money.

Oh, I forgot, Alex and many of the others won it on the horses …… they all like a bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dont forget Fergusons hiring of past and present SAS employees .

Maybe another reason Ferguson isnt liked at Celtic is because he played for Rangers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Maybe another reason Ferguson isnt liked at Celtic is because he played for Rangers .

true but he left on a bitter note, that makes him less of a rangers man. anyway, if people compare dalglish and fergie just look at where they both are now. dalglish is the one hit wonder with fergie the old pro constantly claiming no.1 spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

lads this is supposed to a liverpool thread but the utd fans have taken over yet again, please stick to the topic, as the announcement has been made with cisse coming so close this thread and start another one titled" UTD steal another youngster again" referring to their recent buy pique whom barcenlona are set to report UTD to EUFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by smemon
    true but he left on a bitter note, that makes him less of a rangers man. anyway, if people compare dalglish and fergie just look at where they both are now. dalglish is the one hit wonder with fergie the old pro constantly claiming no.1 spot.

Dalglish is one of the greatest footballers ever, Ferguson on the other hand, is not!

Would you prefer to be remebered as one of the greatest players ever or as as brilliant, yet dishonest hot head of a manager?

Originally posted by galwaydude
    EUFA.

huh?
    oh, you must mean UEFA
    really have no idea where EUFA came from, sounds like something from sensible soccer, because they didn't pay for the copyright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by smemon
    dalglish is the one hit wonder with fergie the old pro constantly claiming no.1 spot.

Dalglish assembled one of the best English teams ever at Liverpool. Absolutely beautiful to watch. He then took Blackburn from the first division to premiership champions in 3 years. So thats 2 hits.

Fergie has been in charge at United for 20 years. I even think Gerrard Houllier would be winning things given that amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    I even think Gerrard Houllier would be winning things given that amount of time.

heh. now lets not go saying things we cant take back.. comments like that will get this forum shut down again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This thread has gone a little wayward from its inception:

ie: Gerrard's press conference to announce he's staying at Liverpool
    possible tapping by Chelsea of Gerrard (player tapping?: Lampard, etc)
    tapping in general, such as by Ferguson
    bungs affecting Ferguson and Dalglish
    Dalglish v Ferguson
    Man U v Liverpool

I think that the issues discussed do warrant discussion, such as bungs and tapping and other such "murky" aspects of the sport, but perhaps it should be done on a different thread rather than trying to keep it here.

This was a good long thread of 100+ but perhaps it has lived its course.

Advertisement