Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Tour de France 2004

Options
  • 28-06-2004 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

With only a few days until the start in Liege, its time we had a thread to post up predictions for who is going to win the big one this year.

Will it be Armstrong for a record-breaking 6th time? Can Ullrich win for only the 2nd time, or will he finish as runner-up for the 6th time? Will Mayo be able to beat everyone like at the Dauphine Libere? Or can Tyler Hamilton step up to the top of the ladder? Or will it be someone new, like Cunego was at the Giro d'Italia?

Im going to back Jan Ullrich. I think he has reached close to his best form now and that he has a strong team behind him. It was believed T-Mobile had too many leaders and not enough workers but with Vinokourov and Savoldelli injured and Evans not picked, it will be a fully united team behind Jan.

Who will win the 2004 Tour de France? 9 votes

Lance Armstrong
    0% 0 votes
    Jan Ullrich
    11% 1 vote
    Iban Mayo
    44% 4 votes
    Haimar Zubeldia
    0% 0 votes
    Tyler Hamilton
    0% 0 votes
    Roberto Heras
    44% 4 votes
    Ivan Basso
    0% 0 votes
    Other (please specify below...)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

This is going to be close one allright, but I'm afraid the headlines may be made by the police and not the riders. Raids have been promised. Hopefully some great riding will distract the vultures circling the cart.

Who'll be doing that racing? Ullrich has being doing his usual thing of being fat. But as the race won't be decided unti the last few days he should have plenty of time to find form.

LA bluffed in the Dauphine I reckon. He has brought mind games to a new level in cycling at the least and will arrive in top form.

I think the question will be whether his top form can resist the attacks of the other riders in that poll.

My feeling? a new rider in yellow on the Champs Elysée

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I just bet today 25 Euro on Hamilton to win.... paid 5-1, I will keep my finger crossed. Ulrich would be my second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Mayo lost nearly 4 mins today, though I'm yet to see why. Obviuosly a big dent in his hopes though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

The peleton was split up when the pace increased in the led up to the first section of cobbles. All the teams tried to get to the front to avoid trouble. There were a few fallers and the bunch got split. Mayo fell but seemed to be uninjured as he chased hard for a while.

But US Postal and T-Mobile and a few other teams kept the pace really high. So Mayo, Zubeldia, and Moreau all lost nearly 4 minutes. Thats 3 of last years top ten (and Menchov, who was 11th last year I think) all losing huge time right before the Team Time Trial.

The rule changes whereby teams can only lose a maximum of 2:30 in the TTT doesn't really matter now because Mayo would have been the big beneficiary of that new rule.

Advertisement