Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo Sweatbands

• 28-06-2004 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know why the majority of Mayo players were wearing sweatbands during yesterday's match????

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

To help them clear the sweat off their brow, not sure what they were for, did not actually take a lot of heed, noticed that Nallon had one alright but bar that it did not stand out.
    I will see if I can find out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Didn't notice it but maybe because they were sweating?
    or sure them Mayo fellas are all hairdressers and David Beckam-type lads and needed to keep hair from their eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

It was some sports psychology thing. John Maughan brought Prof. Aidan Moran, a sports psychologist who's worked with Ken Doherty, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Darren Clarke among others to speak to the team. Apparently each player had a different word or phrase on their sweat bands - things to the effect of "No Fear" or other motivational phrases were there to remind them if their heads went down at any stage. I think Ciaran McDonalds one said "I must pass the ball!!!!" But seriously, that was the reasoning behind it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

It would more likely have been 'must get hair done...'

Roll on July 17th and another Connacht title for Roscommon

Originally posted by thirdmantackle
    Roll on July 17th and another Connacht title for Roscommon

You're a day ahead of yourself thirdmantackle....the final is in Castlebar on the 18th. Maybe you plan to be here on the Saturday to sample the atmosphere. Enjoy it, cos you'll be in bad form on Sunday evening!!!

• Advertisement

yes you are right - my apologies.

All I know is that Gerry Lohan is back fit and healthy for the final. Remember him??

goal.jpg

What a goal!!!

I remember him well. I think the result could boil down to a few things - How well Seamus O'Neill does in midfield. If he dominates, it'll be hard for Mayo whereas if he gets rattled and upset (wouldn't be the first time) and Mayo are the midfield main men, the pendulum (sp) should swing the other way. I wouldn't be surprised to see David Brady starting against Ros in place of McGarrity to challenge O'Neill. Ultimately it will be down to which defence keeps Dolan or Mortimer the quietest. I must give Shane Curran a ring on the Saturday just to wind him up - like I remember Lohan, do you remember Curran and New York???

I wouldn't worry too much about Dolan - he has been ****e in all four games for Ros this year. Our biggest threat is Karl Mannion (if he plays well) and two of the half forwards.

I think this game will be won in the middle of the park - the two midfielders and the CHF & CHB will be crucial. I would feel Ros will be able to come on top in this sector with Grehan and Lohan able to dictate the flow of play. Mayo were given free run the last day by Galway - Ros will be putting in the hits and fighting for everything.

both sets of backs are quite solid. If our full back line can keep doing the business then the Mayo forwards won't be scoring like the last day - then again its all about the quality of ball going into them...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I thought they might be somthing like that, the Armagh lads started that there with symbols now ever man and his dog has some symbol to look at, u would wonder where the get the time to stare at their arm or hand!!!! :p

Ros do not have as many quality players all over the park so you would expect Mayo to win but if O'Neill gets thick, as he was born, then it could get messy.
    Expect himself and Brady to have fun, that Darren Fletcher look a like ye have taking the frees looks handy.
    God knows how it will go, we may have already played our Connaught final match against Gallaimh and Mayo may think it will be a cake walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

for a full and frank discussion ye should take a look at www.sheepstealers.com forum.

• Advertisement

Cracker, where in the love of god did they get that name!!!

what is the galway one??? Sheepsh**gers.com?? :D

thats the Roscommon nickname - the sheepstealers

And we're proud of it

Advertisement