Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credits after unemployment?

Options
  • 28-06-2004 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I worked in the UK from Sept 03- March 04, then moved back to the Republic and was on the dole 2 months while looking for a new job. Just got my 2nd pay slip and i've been taxed _minus_ 20 euro and paid no PRSI.

Do you get tax credits after being on the dole or living in another country for a while? I've checked oasis, can only find info on prsi credits..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will have built up your tax credits over the last few months, so if you paid emergency tax last month, you are likely to get a rebate this month.

Up to a certain level, you pay no PRSI or Health Levy.

You will have to do a tax return to balance UK(?) tax agaisnt Irish tax (the tax you paid in the UK will be offset agaisnt any tax due).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I didn't pay emergency tax last month. Hmm.
    When I left the UK I filled in a form declaring I was leaving the jurisdiction and I got a tax refund so I presume i've nothing more to worry about there? I was never tax domiciled in the UK anyway (never bothered to fill in the form).

Did you pay any tax last payslip? If you didn't then thats a big boo boo on their behalf.

If you got the tax back from Inland Revenue(?), you will now have to pay Irish tax on the amount earned in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Victor

If you got the tax back from Inland Revenue(?), you will now have to pay Irish tax on the amount earned in the UK.

What? Why? I got all my Irish tax back for the last working year when I moved to the UK and I never had to pay extra tax to the UK on it, and I got my UK refund three months ago and no one's said anything to me about paying tax on that!

Are you sure?

I'm reasonably sure. Do you honestly expect to pay no tax on a chunk of your earnings?

PS there is something about 'frontier workers'(?) where special arrangements exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You have to register as unemployed to get tax credits for PRSI. You can back date it but they'll probably want to talk you about why you weren't registered.

Advertisement