Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bodega, Cork

Options
  • 28-06-2004 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

This was, until recently, one of my favourite pubs. However, last Tuesday, I had the priviledge of paying E5.70 for a G&T. It's not something that I'm going to repeat any time soon.

In contrast, Tom Barry's, Barrack Street, was a whole Euro cheaper at E4.70.

Next stop, a letter to the manager of the Bodega.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

You're paying extra to be in the company of all those beautiful people. :rolleyes:

I've thought they were rip-off b***ards since they opened. They haven't just become pricey recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I knew the Bodega was not the cheapest, but I liked the relaxed attitude that they had in there and the general niceness of the place. But no more I tells you.

and to be honest, I've noticed that in recent weeks the amount of trade they have on a Saturday/Friday night has decreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Funny coz a mate of mine was only saying last night about how they'd put their prices up....no wonder they're quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by dudara
    This was, until recently, one of my favourite pubs. However, last Tuesday, I had the priviledge of paying E5.70 for a G&T. It's not something that I'm going to repeat any time soon.

In contrast, Tom Barry's, Barrack Street, was a whole Euro cheaper at E4.70.

Next stop, a letter to the manager of the Bodega.

You can't beat the Barrack Street bars for value :D Bradley's have the cheapest pint of Beamish in all of Cork I believe.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Originally posted by Andip
    Funny coz a mate of mine was only saying last night about how they'd put their prices up....no wonder they're quiet

As one of the managers of the bodega, that is a blatant lie, we have not increased our prices for at least the last 5 months.

and quiet??? we had 2500 people in the place on last saturday night youve got to be kidding yourself, and no the 2500 were not all the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Good for you, I suppose €5.70 is reasonable for a drink. :rolleyes:

i have no problem with people saying the prices are expensive, i will even agree with you.

But i draw the line at people making false accusations, i listen to complaints nearly everyday and i try my very best to make customers happy, its people who make stuff up just to bad mouth a place that i cant handle and takes away from other peoples genuine concerns.

oh and on the subject of the difference of prices compared to Tom Barrys, well Tom is a good friend of mine, i live next to him.

His overheads for that pub are quite low when you compare it to a place like the Bodega and he also works there himself further lowering his costs, a pub in a centre of any town will have to pay a hell of a lot of charges, like we have to pay a huge amount for a license to have seating outside ( we have had this all the time not just because of the smoking ban)and amoung other things before we open our doors we have alot to make up on expenditure for that day. If you dont believe me call in and ask Tom himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€5.70 for

€0.90c worth of Tonic (wholesale incl vat)
    €1.50c worth of Gin (wholesale incl vat and government tax)
    €0.50c worth of Labour (at the rates you lot pay)

Is taking the p1ss by any standards.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by -=Castaway=-
    As one of the managers of the bodega, that is a blatant lie, we have not increased our prices for at least the last 5 months.

Which Manager are you ? Are you the one that asks people to leave if they don't have a drink in front of them or are drinking too slowly or are you one of the others ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Which Manager are you ? Are you the one that asks people to leave if they don't have a drink in front of them or are drinking too slowly or are you one of the others ?

Well coming in and having not buying anything and taking up a table, yes i woud ask you to purchase something or leave, no one to my knowledge has asked someone to leave for drinking too slow, i would expect a complaint to have been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey

There's others? hehe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What happened to the bodega last year it was hot now its not!!

Please please please bring back the savoy!!!

To reply to the Bodega guy..

I know Tom too, and I have a lot of time for the guy. And these days, he's going to win my custom over you.

Can you please give me a breakdown on the E5.70 for a G&T? I'd like to know how much I was being skelped by for the tonic, as I suspect that's where most of the profit was.

I bought my boyfriend a pint of guinness at the same time for E3.50. So can you please explain why a G&T, which has half the alcohol of a pint, costs E2 more? I'm willing to pay a certain amount, but going over the fiver is pulling the piss.

check that guinness price again love

Originally posted by -=Castaway=-
    check that guinness price again love

As yes ingorance is the first sign of a failing argument.........
    No wonder i dont go there any more

as i already said, i will respond to complaints as long as the facts are correct, the facts she gave are not correct, so i dont see why i should respond.

and as per the break down of the price

Babies 1.90
    splits 2:00
    bottle beers 3.80
    btl miller 3.90
    pt btl of bulmers 4.80
    smirnoff ice / bbo / wkd 5.00
    most white spirits 3.80
    pint lager 3.90
    pint stout(guiness + murphys) 3.60

And if you were not aware on friday and saturday nights at roughly 10:30pm
    most prices increase by 20c, the reason i am told for this is because of the extention which we have to pay for to serve late hours on weekends.

If you have any questions or complaints i will be happy to answer them but i will not answer them unless you have your facts exactly right, i think that is fair, dont you?

Castaway "love", I'm really insulted by your previous post.

I'm giving the facts here as I was charged at the till that night, which by the way was a Tuesday, 22nd of June to be exact, around 9.30. You can check the till records. I should have asked for a receipt, but I didn't, so you just have to take my word for it.

I know the guinness was E3.50 because the barman got my order wrong, and handed me a single pint of stout and asked for 3.50. If in fact, it is 3.60 like you say above, then you should be pleased that I thought it was cheaper. When I asked for G&T, 5.70 was added. The price for the G&T corresponds exactly to the 1.90 + 3.80 you quote in your price list. So please tell me, where am I getting my facts wrong, with the possible exception of being 10c off on the Guinness.

Don't insult the intelligence of your customers like this. I have my facts straight and I'll stand by them. PM me for my e-mail address if you wish to take your accusations of incorrect facts further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Wheres the bodega again? Is that the bar down by the cornmarket?

I think part of the problem is that the G&T drinkers have a lot of their numbers made up by girls that have their drink bought for them (not all I stress, probably not even most, but a lot).
    If they bought their own drinks they would probably change to a vodka and a dash, which brings up another annoyance...

I HATE places that dont give a big bottle of cheap lemonade for a dash and instead charge a fuking €1.90 for some bloody lemonade. Dont know if Bodega is one of those rip off pubs, but there are so many its hardly worth singling out one.

Mind you people, Cork pub prices Vs Dublin pub prices.....god help the poor jackeens.

just one other thing:
    And if you were not aware on friday and saturday nights at roughly 10:30pm
    most prices increase by 20c, the reason i am told for this is because of the extention which we have to pay for to serve late hours on weekends.

I think thats taking the p1ss completely. "roughly" 10.30??
    "increase"?!??!?
    Boll0x.
    Did the government ever implement that law about making pubs display their prices? I mean if this isnt fuking customers over then what is?
    You go in with a few mates, get a few drinks, expensive but yera where isnt. You get another round and "sorry laddie, thats a Euro more for the round cause its after 'roughly' 10.30".

Fair enough having expensive drinks, at least thats honest (sort of), but this will catch pretty much every first time customer unaware, and probably lots of regulars too.

Do other pubs in cork do this does anyone know? If so please list them here so I can avoid them.

This list is on [url]www.drinkfeckgirls.com:[/url]

http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?&Cork.txt&price_order5&

Nice to see the Bodega heading the list as most expensive for a single drink - the 5.70 G&T.

4.30 for a glass of wine as well? Come on.

Also the most expensive for a pint of Bud at 3.90. (Glenryan Tavern - 3.40 for the same)

And joint-most-expensive in the city at 3.60 for a pint of Guinness. (Glenryan Tavern - 3.05 for the same)

According to that site, those prices were surveyed in January of this year. if anyone has an updated price on any of the above please feel free to post it.

Castaway, your condescending attitude to dudara is as out of order as your prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Says it all really when you take a demeaning manner to reply to a customer.

This is the pub where management are happy to see 4 drinkers leave with two of their friends that didn't drink anything because they are taking up room. So by trying to force 2 people to buy something 4 existing drinkers left.

Maybe you can still sustain business in the short term with your arrogance and contempt for potential and the increasing number of non-returning customers but in the long term the Bodega will start to lose even more custom.

Originally posted by Paladin
    Did the government ever implement that law about making pubs display their prices? I mean if this isnt fuking customers over then what is?
    You go in with a few mates, get a few drinks, expensive but yera where isnt. You get another round and "sorry laddie, thats a Euro more for the round cause its after 'roughly' 10.30".

Oh, don't you love The internet? :D The following information is taken from http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/pubs.cfm
    The Retail Price (Beverages in Licensed Premises) Display Order, (S.I. No.263 of 1999), repealed the 1976 Beverages in Licensed Premises Order and came into operation on 15th September 1999. The purpose of the Order is to enable customers to be aware of drink prices in licensed premises.

What are the specific obligations on publicans under the legislation?

The Order requires that a Comprehensive List and a 16 Item list are displayed;

Comprehensive List: A Comprehensive list indicating the price of all drinks sold on the premises should be on display within each drinking area on the premises* and should be clearly visible and easily read. *(this means that the list must be on display in the bar, lounge, nightclub etc.)

16-item List: The legislation requires that publicans display a "16 item" list which details the prices of the more popular drinks. This list should be on display immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to a licensed premises. N.B. As a rule of thumb, if the display is not outside, it should be capable of being read having taken one step inside the premises.

If the same premises has a bar, a lounge and a nightclub, each charging different prices ?

The price list displayed in each part of the premises must relate to the prices in that part of the premises.

If a licensed premises' policy is to increase prices after a certain time (e.g. after 11pm) ?

The price on display should be the price that is being charged at any given time.

Are Off-Licences covered by this legislation ?

No. However, general price display legislation does cover off-licences.

If any consumers notice that the Bodega (or any other pub for that ,matter) is flouting the above Order in any way I would advise them to make a formal complaint to the ODCA using the contact details below:
    There are a number of ways you can contact the Office

Write to:
    Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs,
    4 Harcourt Road, Dublin 2

Enquiry Line:
    402 5555 (01 area), 1890 220 229 (outside 01 area)

Fax Number:
    01 4025501

Email:
    odca@entemp.ie

yea that is true, the price increase after a certain period but i seroiusly doubt it that they put up a revised price list

Must check it out and report it :)

The more complaints the merrier folks. I'd have no qualms about reporting the place after seeing Castaway's attitude to customers. Actually I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime (well, a good few years anyway) and pay the place a few visits in the next week with a digital camera - just to see how well their prices are advertised...:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by dudara
    I should have asked for a receipt
    Actually they should have /given/ you a receipt, whether you asked for it or not.

adam

look i have no problems with complaints, and excuse my attitude as a few posts at the beginning of this thread are complete rubbish and slander, as i said before, i do not set the prices and i have no input into changing them, but i do admit as before they are expensive.

"This is the pub where management are happy to see 4 drinkers leave with two of their friends that didn't drink anything because they are taking up room. So by trying to force 2 people to buy something 4 existing drinkers left."

When was this? i said if someone came in and bought nothing, i.e occupied a table without purchasing anything and by table i mean no one at the table bought anything which will cost us money if we get busy and someone does not come in as there are no tables available. Then i would ask them to either buy something or leave, im assuming since you say drinkers this happened at night? SO please explain what ahppened a bit more. And when you say management you refer to us all and is a direct insult, and you expect me not to react?

my email is cast_daniel@hotmail.com

if you have any concerns or any events like this then please email me and if possible a discription of the person ( if he/she was not in a uniform)

http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com/cgi-b...t&price_order5&

Nice to see the Bodega heading the list as most expensive for a single drink"

i dont see the coal quay bar, reardens or scotts on that list seems like none of the big groups are apart from the Quad which is owned along with kennedys bar rumba and fast eddies.

"yea that is true, the price increase after a certain period but i seroiusly doubt it that they put up a revised price list

Must check it out and report it "

"If a licensed premises' policy is to increase prices after a certain time (e.g. after 11pm) ?

The price on display should be the price that is being charged at any given time. "

This is also covered by a pricelist being displayed behind the bar and even if you would need binoculars to read it.
    Trust me on this and im not saying dont do it but that crowd are not very strict, they will come back to the bodega and say "bold pub" and ask us to display them ( if in fact the modified price list isnt up) . This practise has been in since i moved here in september from the Savoy(owned by same company) so im not sure, i know there is a list by the door, think there may even be 2.

"I think thats taking the p1ss completely. "roughly" 10.30??"
    yes "roughly" being as if the manager in charge is busy with something else it wont get done til later than 10:30, last thing i wanted was to say AT 10:30 when 99% of the time it is in fact 15-30 mins later, but 10:30 is the supposed time.

"And joint-most-expensive in the city at 3.60 for a pint of Guinness. (Glenryan Tavern - 3.05 for the same)"

And where is this Glenryan Tavern as location does play a big part in prices.

This is also covered by a pricelist being displayed behind the bar and even if you would need binoculars to read it

so youe saying u have 2 different prices up at different locations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by jank

Whats wqrong with that ....as long as one says

BEFORE 10:30 PM

and the other says

AFTER 10:30 PM

If there is Lounge service there should be a before 10:30 PM Lounge service and Bar list and an after 10:30 PM Lounge service and bar list. Thats 4 price lists to display.

M

Originally posted by jank

no i am sayin that the legislation which i quoted is also covered for a list on display behind the bar, so you can go and make a complaint just to have it thrown back at you that there is one behind the bar displaying the prices, it doesnt have to be on a wall outside of the bar, all im saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Never liked the Bodega as a bar.
    Too artificial an environment populated by wannabees.
    Give me Scotts or the Coal Quay anyday.

Advertisement