Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Books: Publication Dates

• 28-06-2004 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

From Amazon:

Going Postal :Hardcover 329 pages (October 7, 2004)

The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch :Hardcover 384 pages (May 5, 2005)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

october?
    awwww...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Going Postal

Synopsis
    Moist von Lipwig was a con artist and a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing postal service back on its feet. It was a tough decision. But he's got to see that the mail gets though, come rain, hail, sleet, dogs, the Post Office Workers Friendly and Benevolent Society, the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer. Getting a date with Adora Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. Maybe it'll take a criminal to succeed where honest men have failed, or maybe it's a death sentence either way. Or perhaps there's a shot at redemption in the mad world of the mail, waiting for a man who's prepared to push the envelope..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Maisy_242

there's also the art of the discworld, the discworld almanack and the discworld calendar 2005. i thought it was the first of october??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Urgh, why does "Going Postal" remind me a lot of "The Truth" - "real world" medium thrust into the hands oh someone less than willing to take it on.
    And I bet Sam Vimes will figure into it somehow, seeing that there will be of course something involving the city

Urgh, why does "Going Postal" remind me a lot of "The Truth" - "real world" medium thrust into the hands oh someone less than willing to take it on.
    And I bet Sam Vimes will figure into it somehow, seeing that there will be of course something involving the city

And how would any of this be a bad thing? The Truth was a very good book which I enjoyed and Sam Vimes is one of the best characters Terry ever created.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'd just be worried of Pratchett starting to run outta ideas, I'm wise enough not to listen totally to the promotional "blurb", Id like to know more about the book.
    I love Sam Vimes, totally, my favorite character by a long way, I'd just like to see him take a rest for once, then maybe come back in a new book. Maybe it's me, but he's been overused a little.
    I didn't totally think he needed to be in "Monstruous Regiment"; he was, and had a nice pivotal role, I just thought Pratchett was crowbarring in a familiar character delibrately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yeah but I'd just be worried of Pratchett starting to run outta ideas, I'm wise enough not to listen totally to the promotional "blurb", Id like to know more about the book.
    I love Sam Vimes, totally, my favorite character by a long way,..., but he's been overused a little.
    I didn't totally think he needed to be in "Monstruous Regiment"; he was, and had a nice pivotal role, I just thought Pratchett was crowbarring in a familiar character delibrately.
    I afto 100% agree with what you're saying regeneration and that really worries me :(; I have a feeling it's going to end up like the Simpsons - God I hope he stops in time and doesn't just try to keep on pumping out more books. When you think about it he really can't keep on using the same old characters over and over again - there is nothing left for them to do; they have achived everything, Vimes is going to end up King :rolleyes:. Weatherwax is invincible and so is Cohen - I have just been re-reading Interesting Times and it's a fantastic read especially compared to MR. I still liked The Truth though - he needs to come up with something new, please Terry!!!

Well he has! Sorta. XXXX was finally written about, but too much into a 1-dimensional Ozzie parody to make another book outta it tbh, and Monstruous Regiment, there is a lot of the Discworld not covered by a book yet... Maybe return to Genua, or Klatch.
    Or maybe just end the Discworld Sage completely. Don't make a final book, "finalising" characters, just stop writing Terry :)

Well he has! Sorta. XXXX was finally written about, but too much into a 1-dimensional Ozzie parody to make another book outta it tbh, and Monstruous Regiment, there is a lot of the Discworld not covered by a book yet... Maybe return to Genua, or Klatch.
    Or maybe just end the Discworld Sage completely. Don't make a final book, "finalising" characters, just stop writing Terry :)

Bite your tongue! I've never heard any idea so horrific!
    :eek:

Would you rather Terry just write and write and write and steadily run outta ideas and characters and then become like the Simpsons?

• Advertisement

I would rather he wrote some new original books with good, funny, interesting plots. I afto disagree with the XXXX book being bad (The Last Continent), in my opinion it was very good. Like the part when Death asked for a book on all the deadly animals in XXXX......he then had ask for the non-deadly instead because it was quicker "Some of the sheep" :D

I think that there is plenty of scope still left in the Discworld to create new plots and new characters, there are nations and people yet to be written about.
    I have no objection to Terry writing about other then the discworld(Good Omens and the series on the Gnomes are excellent) but there is no need to discard the Discworld.

jongore wrote:
    (Good Omens and the series on the Gnomes are excellent) but there is no need to discard the Discworld.
    Good Omens was fantastic :D I love those kinda books. It depends on Terry being able to come up with new fresh ideas - we just have to wait and hope he can :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Yeah but I'd just be worried of Pratchett starting to run outta ideas....

Bring back Rincewind and the Luggage!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Delphi91 wrote:
    Bring back Rincewind and the Luggage!

Mike

But where is there for him to go now? He's already been around the Disc, in space, and to Hell and back.

Not to mention he's Terry's most "immature" character; the Discworld has grown up a LOT since the Colour of Magic; I'd wonder if Terry felt enthusiastic about writing another book around his most 1-dimensional character.
    I would like one last Rincewind book; maybe give him something to feel safe and secure about; hell maybe a "happy ever after" with somebody - it's always ben suggested that Rincewind is admired by females...

Advertisement