Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Upgrade What should I buy

Options
  • 28-06-2004 5:01pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hello Everybody,

My account is ready for a vodafone upgrade which phone should I go for. I am currently using a Samsun E700 camera phone only problem is I can not send MMS pictures or use live because of the lack of Wap V2 support with Vodafone. I was thinking of two options:

1) Sell the Samsung and get a Sharp GX-30. (I like to use the camera a lot)

2) Keep the Samsung and get a SE P900 for during the day then at night and weekends use the Samsung.

3) Any other ideas people.

Money not really an issue.

Thanks,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

nokia 6230 or 7610 - sexy phones

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

the only problem with the 6230 is the crap screen and camera compared to the GX30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if screen and camera are that important you'll be hard pressed to get any handset currently available for a Vodafone upgrade to come close... (i still wouldn't get a GX-30 though)

BrianG

what are the problems with the GX 30 also if money was no object what would u buy dub

personally i wasn't impressed with the User Interface, i'd also be looking for a phone that allowed you to enhance it's functionality which the Sharp couldn't compared to the likes of a e.g. a Symbian or MS Smartphone handset... also the GX-30s has a very limited (poor) Bluetooth implementation

however for screen quality 'nothing' comes near it - Sharp's CG Silicon displays are currently out there on their own - and no other mega-pixel camera phones on offer as an upgrade (although picture quality is an issue for any camera phone no mater how 'mega' it is)

from your list the GX-30 and P900 are very different in how you use them, the user interface and the functionality they offer... might be best to look at what you want a handset to do for you / what you want to use it for (besides making calls ;))

if money was no object? well the way i look at it is money always comes after requirements, set out the needs and wants first then go look for a handset that will come as close to meeting those within the budget...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

You cant get the 6230 yet on a vodafone upgrade, they probably wont be released till around september because of wap 2.0 and the problems they are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    2) Keep the Samsung and get a SE P900 for during the day then at night and weekends use the Samsung.
    Why would you do that? Why not just sell the samsung, and use the SEp900 all day all night? Seems more logical to me.

was thinking that the P900 might be a bit big to be draging to the pub

yeah - the P900 doesn't join me heading out on the town either - prefer a smaller phone for that, plus don't like putting the P900 in harms way as it would be expensive to replace - i swap SIMs with a different handset for those occasions...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Having recently got the 7610 I would suggest you consider this as an option...

WAP 2.0 is being launched very soon by Vodafone so the 7610 should come soon after it (fingers crossed now that I have said that).

• Advertisement

Jesus the very man i was going to PM what I have the option of buying a 7610 on Friday. What do you think of it is it all good and what are the pros and cons.

I want a phone with:

Good quality screen
    Good Camera
    Bluetooth
    Not a massive brick

Thanks

Jesus the very man i was going to PM what I have the option of buying a 7610 on Friday. What do you think of it is it all good and what are the pros and cons.

I want a phone with:

Good quality screen
    Good Camera
    Bluetooth
    Not a massive brick

Thanks

I have had the intention of posting up plenty of pics but have not had the time... Sucks I know

Pros:

- Screen quality is excellent, second only to the GX30 in my experience. Although it is bigger

- The Camera quality is also excellent, on a par with the Gx30 in my experience

- Bluetooth works a treat. You can transfer anything i.e. its not locked down like the GX30.

- Its not big or heavy in my opinion. I posted a pic before with it side to side with the Nokia 7210. Its slightly bigger in all direction when compared to the 7210. Lets face it though, the 7210 is a small phone!

I will do what I can to post up some full quality pics and so on.

you nearly have me convinced but i might hold out for the Sendo X now that is exactly what i want ummmmmm

Sorry Jesus what is the MP3 playback quality like

Playback is restricted to mono output. There are numerous rumours stating that Nokia can correct this with the release of a new headset but they are uncomfirmed. I don't use it for MP3 playback (dont travel any great distances for work or anything) so I can't comment on the quality. I have used MP3s as the ringtone however and this work surprisingly well.

you nearly have me convinced but i might hold out for the Sendo X now that is exactly what i want ummmmmm

6 months ago I really wanted this device, but not anymore. The innovative features have since been copied in other phones and there is nothing that makes it stand out anymore. I think DubWireless posted a pic of it somewhere, its looks very thick.

The P900 is obviously the better featured device. It doesnt really lend itself to day to day use however, that would be my main gripe.

god i am stuck even more now ha ha

I always have a preference for Nokia handsets. There is no doubting the quality of the P900 but I don't particularly like the UIQ OS and its pen driven interface. Everytime I use the P800 I am aloways delighted when I get my S60 7650 and not 7610 back in my hands.

The P900 is a PDA to be honesy.

the P900 jog wheel offers more control and better navigation capabilities than the P800, they did some work to allow menu operation and smarter back tracking around the system etc. so a lot more tasks can be achieved with just the jog dial...

BrianG

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the P900 jog wheel offers more control and better navigation capabilities than the P800, they did some work to allow menu operation and smarter back tracking around the system etc. so a lot more tasks can be achieved with just the jog dial...

BrianG

That totally slipped my mind. Is the jog wheel a better execution that the jog wheel used in the old Sony J6s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Hey jesus_thats_gre, you dont have any info on when the Wap 2.0 handsets will be supported and for sale for upgrades (For Voda), the july copy of the carphone warehouse mag says its available now for €249 on upgrade and FTC? but the guy said they had heard september was the correct release date.

Can you shed any light?

Sean

Advertisement