Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF candidate shows remarkably innovative approach to electoral trickery

Options
  • 28-06-2004 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0628/wexford.html
    Pat Rath lost out to sitting councillor Lorcan Allen by less than 400 votes - after letters were sent to several thousand voters, purporting to come from the Taoiseach, asking them to give their first preference to Mr Allen.

Mr Allen today took full responsibility for the letter following a meeting with the General Secretary of Fianna Fáil, Sean Dorgan. He apologised to Mr Rath for the deception, an apology which was accepted by the party.

Is this not an offence?

He should be forced to resign his post. Or he could follow the example of SF's Martin Christie http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=5618

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

It's an absolute disgrace.
    I agree, he should be forced to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Is this not an offence?
    Probably only if Bertie made a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes, but you forget the Fianna Fail motto - 'The end justifies the means'.

At least it was only themselves they were shafting that particular time. Makes a refreshing change if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Ah, Lorcan Allen.

/me doen't think too much of lorcan..

707.jpg

Them's litigious words if you ask me!

As much as I love boards.ie, I don't want to see them having their arsed sued by some rug-wearing FF'er and shut down as a consequence.

I suggest you meant 'thick' in a lovable, naive and sociable sense. His intellectual capabilities remain beyond reproach, comprendè? Nod if you agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by DublinWriter
    I suggest you meant 'thick' in a lovable, naive and sociable sense. His intellectual capabilities remain beyond reproach, comprendè? Nod if you agree.
    Of course, first you'd have to legally define the absolute level of competency and intelligence conveyed by the term "thick" and then prove in a court of law that it was intended in a deregatory fashion instead of being used as a shorthand for "sub-par in competency and intelligence", then you'd have to prove the defendant's defence was not accurate (and since he's provided an academic example already, I think a defence should be mountable), and then the defendant's in trouble.

Unfortunately, this being Ireland, the legal bits don't matter much, because the effective end result is imposed poverty for all but the lawyers...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He should be sacked / forced to resign .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Big Ears
    He should be sacked / forced to resign .
    Ah, but we live in a democracy, where we only sack politicians en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pisht! They're all at it, including Sinn Fein (Martin Ferris)according to The Last Word this evening.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by mike65
    Pisht! They're all at it, including Sinn Fein (Martin Ferris)according to The Last Word this evening.

Mike.

Martin Ferris has been sending out bogus letters from Bertie telling people to vote for him? I thought Marto was into the aul arms smuggling, not forgery...

These chuckies are putting us all to shame with their multi-tasking. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

i've nothing to say on this, just lurking here waiting to see Cork's indignant defence of The Party

Form an orderly queue please...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Originally posted by De Rebel
    i've nothing to say on this, just lurking here waiting to see Cork's indignant defence of The Party

I voted FF (almost) all the way at the elections and I think this is a disgrace. I can't imagine too many FF supporters feeling otherwise. I think they're trying to brush it under the carpet, more corruption/dishonesty is the last thing they need.

Thank God, I'm not the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Martin Ferris has been sending out bogus letters from Bertie telling people to vote for him? I thought Marto was into the aul arms smuggling, not forgery...

These chuckies are putting us all to shame with their multi-tasking. ;)

Ha Ha! :)

No Ferris was using offical Dail notepaper, postage, etc as part of the campiagn to try and get his daughter elected or re-elected. btw this is second hand rumour I would'nt like to be quoted as primary source! :ninja:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If Lorcan Allan has any sense left he should resign his seat. FF should also kick him out of the party.

On top of this, he used official Dail envelopes and comitted fraud against the electorate in Wexford and the country by impersonating the Taoiseach (the office of Taoiseach not the individual). Treason might be a bit too much ;) but he should be treated in a similar way someone would be if they did the same thing to defraud people of money.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 tapper

Obviously none of you have ever had any involvement in a political campaign in your lives. this kinda **** goes on in every campaign in the country!
    and everyone uses oireachtas envelopes, even those that have never been elected to anything.

Originally posted by tapper
    Obviously none of you have ever had any involvement in a political campaign in your lives. this kinda **** goes on in every campaign in the country!

Are we supposed to take that as some sort of excuse? It happens all the time, so its not a serious question of honesty at all?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Must be on holidays?

Advertisement