Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.map not .bsp :/

• 28-06-2004 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Im having problems compiling a map, and im getting this error. Everything is set up to send the .bsp to the halflife folder, but i want it to compile it to the folder below. Since my reinstall of windows hammer wont do jacksh1t other than make the maps. I get this when i try to compile it.
    ************ ERROR ************
    Error opening C:\Documents and Settings\reddy\Desktop\maps\pants.bsp: No such file or directory

its compiling it to a .map file and i have tried to make it compile to .bsp using different settings but i have had no luck - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Make sure all the settings of folders etc. are set up correctly in hammer. Theres got to be a mistake in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

get a batch complier

www.gracelessland.com

hammer compiler is ****, also get zoners hl compile tools :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

yea, those tools did the trick! nice one :)

2 Other problems that need sorting, then the maps done!

1: No shadows what so ever - everything is using the zoner compilers too. Ive creatied a skybox(55 hollowed) and a box inside that box. Everything is still bright, which is the complete opposite to what im looking for. I need the room to be completely pitch black!

2: I cant figure out what the armour_entity should be renamed to so i can get night vision apon spawn.

When i have them two the map is sorted! :)

sorted the light thingy - apon reading the clipboard i noticed that zoners hl tools lights up the map if you dont put in anything to light it by default.

So to sort that i put a light bulb in between the skybox and the room used for the map! All i need to know is how to make people spawn with nv goggles! then its done :D

even if i can make it so that one player on the map (the terrorist) cant buy anything that would do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

as far as i can remember, i don't think there is a value you can put in for nv, defuse or ammo

ok i've decompiled deagle5 and fofund the game_equip_player entity, and bad news.. you cant equip nvg :(

everything else is available tho, from pistols to longjump modules :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Is it possible to decompile maps, say CS's aztec and then edit them and compile them again? I've only tried in Hammer before, which (obviously, I guess) never did it properly. :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can decompile maps using a program called Winbsp. Its not 100% accurate and its not possible to re-compile because of errors.

There is a way to prevent your map from being decompiled however and some standard cs maps can't be decompiled because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah yes (!), silly me, I tried that once or twice in college too (had forgotten about it!) but as you said, it left it impossible to recompile the maps. D'oh! The main error seemed to be not applying the textures, and not allowing you to apply any others if I remember correctly, but the overall map layout and design was there. Bah! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

why would you want to recompile it anyway, i used winbsp all the time, but for learning purposes only, check an entities values or whatever

Originally posted by Anima

There is a way to prevent your map from being decompiled however and some standard cs maps can't be decompiled because of this.
    -onlyents the map after the final compile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Anima
    You can decompile maps using a program called Winbsp. Its not 100% accurate and its not possible to re-compile because of errors.
    Although you can clean up the bad geometry/borked entities if you're willing to spend a little time doing it.
    The textures never come out right either :(
    So unless you want an exact copy of certain areas, I'd say its better for your sanity to start from scratch :)

I guess the original brushes were discarded when it got converted to bsp the first time, then winbsp just guesses what brushes to use and where based on the internal faces?
    Facinating program.

Although can't you just open ready-to-play UT maps in UnrealED and feck about with them?
    Considering this, why do people care about their map being decompiled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

hmm...

Originally posted by Y o u s s e f
    hmm...
    Yeah, I didn't think you'd have anything to say on this thread tbh ;)
    But the spam marathon must go on regardless!!
    Doing a fine job there, you should post "LOL" to every thread on the humour forum, that's a time-honoured method.

You can decompile maps, fuck around with the entities and recompile it with -onlyents in the csg parameters..

that wont give you any errors.

http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Tutorials/tutorial.php?id=45

Mmm just read that article, very cool stuff... *ponders the possibilities*
    BTW, when he says entities, does that also include brushes tied to entites like doors/buttons etc? .. ie. changing a func_door into a func_illusionary or breakable then recompile without needing to compile the geometry... or are we just talking point entities? :confused:

just point entities afaik.. but maybe brush entities, like func_bomb_target..

not sure.. but it's worth a test :)

Advertisement