Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Insult Collina!

• 28-06-2004 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From Scotsman
    UEFA will announce today which referees are to be trusted with the semi-finals and the final, but Italian referee Pierluigi Collina may miss out on the honour of further officiating at his last major tournament before he retires.

The referees’ committee are notoriously unsentimental about such matters and, as Collina refereed the opening game, it would be a surprise if he were given the final too.

A German dentist, Markus Merk, is perhaps the favourite. Merk was in charge of the 2003 Champions League final between Juventus and AC Milan at Old Trafford, when he won UEFA’s Fair Play prize as a reward for his handling of the game.

FFS! The best international ref of our age and therefore any time I suspect should have been allowed to bow out on the biggest stage possible. Instead a German dentist gets the gig....sigh!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jaysus relax Mike.

He's got the Czech-Greece semi, and Merk was due a biggie himself.

In fairness, Collina has done everything except the Euro final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

UEFA Insult Collina!
    How?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Punishment for doing all those fantasy football slots perhaps? Uefa can't have looked upon all that flying back and forth favourably, surely!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anders Frisk has got the Holland Portugal game .

Collina will be forced to retire under the Italian refereeing age limit , but the F.A. have made him an offer to ref in the Premier League which he can do for 3 more years , which would make him avilible for internationel referee selection as well .

I hope he comes to England as he is the best ref around , and the PL needs all the good refs it can get .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Big Ears thanks for posting that - I had this crazy idea in my head about Collina and the Premiership...not mad after all! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He did do the 2002 World Cup final too, I guess UEFA thought someone else should get it, although I would love to see Collina ref this final too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by mike65
    Instead a German dentist gets the gig....sigh!

As opposed to an Italian Financial consultant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

That offer of three more years from the English FA is inspired.

Collina is the best ref around and can show them all how to do it for another 3 years.

Frisk is good too ....have you noticed the Collina like staring when players argue with him :D

M

Originally posted by Muck
    That offer of three more years from the English FA is inspired.

Collina is the best ref around and can show them all how to do it for another 3 years.

Frisk is good too ....have you noticed the Collina like staring when players argue with him :D

M

Them eyes are a mind control device to make players stop argueing , diving and trying to break other peoples legs .

from bbc
    Collina silent on switch

Collina can only continue for one more year in Italy
    Referee Pierluigi Collina has refused to rule out a move to the English Premiership when he is forced to retire from Italy's Serie A.

Collina must retire after this season because the Italian retirement age is 45 and the Football Association's David Dein has suggested he move to England.

"It is too far away for me to think about that," he said.

"I have a year to think about what I am going to do. Now is not the time for decisions because I am very busy."

The instantly recognisable Italian accountant is widely regarded as the best and most respected referee in the world.

He officiated at the 2002 World Cup final, the 1996 Olympic final and Manchester United's thrilling 1999 Champions League final win over Bayern Munich.

Many people had expected him to be given the Euro 2004 final, but that match has been awarded to Germany's Markus Merk, with Collina being in charge of the Greece v Czech Republic semi-final instead.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I think its because he got the opening match. Apparently this and the final are seen as the most high profile matches and they didn't want to give both to the same ref.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was browsing this thread when the thought struck me - who cares? ....LOL

Originally posted by Dub13
    I was browsing this thread when the thought struck me - who cares? ....LOL

Boom Boom! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is Collina doing any of the Semi? Anders "nice teeth" frisk is on tonite

ya he's doing the Czech game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by mike65
    a German dentist

'Does it hurt' Mike .. that Collina didn't get the final?

"Is it Safe?" with German dentist? That's what I want to know! ;)

Mike.

Advertisement