Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7650 -> Bluetooth -> HSCSD

• 28-06-2004 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm connecting this PC to the net through HSCSD from a Nokia 7650 over Bluetooth. Trouble is, I'm only getting 1.1Kbps download speed. I have a Bluetooth DUN set up which dials the HSCSD number on my phone, it all works well but I'm sure I had it faster when I last tried this setup with a TDK dongle. Although I'm not entirely sure whether I had a similar DUN setup for the dongle or whether it was bundled software. Regardless, a download rate of 1.1Kpbs is pretty dire - I should be able to connect at something more along the lines of a 38Kpbs dial-up modem does.

I'm not using the Nokia 7650 software because the mRouter program can't see anything at all, it's fields are blank and blank :dunno:

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Thanks!

[WinXP + Belkin Class 2 Bluetooth USB key (model: F8T003)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

The mRouter software looks like this. Only option being IrDA. I've read back through all of the threads I could find on Bluetooth/7650 but I can't seem to find a solution to this. Anyone know why I can only see an IrDA option (no IrDA on this PC) and not a Bluetooth option?

I have the latest Widcomm drivers for the Belkin BT key (1.4.2.10) and also the most recent PC Suite for the 7650 (1.2). I can't do so much as start up the Nokia PC Suite because it asks me to connect my phone to the PC first. When I open the Nokia Connection Manager, it can't see the phone, even after lots of fiddling with COM ports and the Serial/Bluetooth toggles. I tried the stand-alone Nokia 7650 modem software but it won't go past the installation as it only allows me the option to install the modem tools for an IrDA modem, the Bluetooth option is greyed-out.

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, what are you setting in the (Widcomm installed) 'Bluetooth Modem' INIT string, I've used the following for a V.110 HSCSD connection at 38.4 kbps and it worked out ok:
    AT+CBST=81,0,1;+CHSN=6,3,0,8

these are the steps taken to get a BT HSCSD conneciton going with a 7650 just using the Widcomm app/driver.... the Modem app for the 7650 is stuck in the 'old' days where they required you to use their (then Socket's) CF/PC Bluetooth card rather than any adapter...

the Widcomm app/drivers should have installed a Bluetooth Modem using the relevant COM port for the BT DUN profile and also a Connection profile based on the Modem - so you can ignore all the Nokia stuff and do this all with the Widcomm install features...

assuming you have paired the 7650 and the PC, and set the 7650 Bluetooth on, and the PC as Authorised (or if not be ready to accept the incoming Bluetooth connection on the handset)

you need to go into the Control Panel and find the Bluetooth Modem entry and then set up the extra string, for a V.110 HSCSD connection at 38.4 kbps use:
    AT+CBST=81,0,1;+CHSN=6,3,0,8

now go into Dial-Up Networking / Connections and open the properties of the 'Bluetooth Conneciton'... enter in the phone number: +353876202222 (no area code / dialling rules)

Then go into 'My Bluetooth Places' and 'View devices in range', the 7650 should come up, right click the icon and select 'Connect Dial-Up Networking'

The connection starts, and a regular dial-up networking window appears asking for a user name and password so enter:
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

Just tested this with a TDK BT adapter running Widcomm 1.4.2 and seemed ok...
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

and as to why mRouter doesn't see your Bluetooth serial ports, it can be a nightmare of an app, try a reinstall of the PC suite and keep your fingers crossed... could possibly be something to do with it loading before the COM ports are assigned (grabbed by Widcomm for it's Bluetooth services)...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 knicker

Also, what operator are you using? Not all support HSCSD....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

for a V.110 HSCSD connection at 38.4 kbps use: AT+CBST=81,0,1;+CHSN=6,3,0,8
    I didn't have anything in the INIT string field - oops. Thanks for that! :) I'll give it a try when I get the chance later today.

I've set up everything in the same way as you describe, the INIT string being the only thing different. As for mRouter, I've already re-installed it twice, along with PC Suite & the Bluetooth software. Still no luck.
    Also, what operator are you using? Not all support HSCSD
    Thanks for the input knicker, but I'm OK on that side of things. I'm set-up for HSCSD on Vodafone ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement