Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Collage Dublin. What about it...??

Options
  • 29-06-2004 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Thinking of applying to Griffith Collage (Dublin) before July 1st. Just would like some info on what the place is like. What kind of "heads" (for want of a better word) go there? Is it D4?? ect. I know its fee paying but can afford it (just about). This puts me off though.

I'd prefer to go else-where, but I'm not sure

Oh yes, and the talent(female), whats it like, as well as social life, facilities ect.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭canavanbn@hotma

Thinking of going there myself in September, don't know much about it apart from your paying for a Degree, i presume they wouldnt work you too hard.Imagine its another version of the Institute.
    Yeah a male/female ratio and lowdown on social life would be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

From what I'm told the social life is terrible there or at least organised events such as rag week. E.g they are almost non existent

The comp sci course is free there under free fee's

A reasonable amount of D4 types I guess. Same as everywhere, knackers and whatever else

What course do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

As regards to how they work you etc. Dont expect an easy ride

At the end of the day they are trying to produce graduates who are worth while and will get jobs. It looks bad if they cannot achieve that. They have to cover all relevant topics on the law courses.

I know someone who transfered from legal and business in gcd to trinity so I'd imagine the course must be somewhat hard.

The comp sci degree is given from TCD

No college course at the end of the day is going to be a breeze, you have to do the work get the grades and give the place a decent reputation oterhwise no one would go there.

Its the largest private college in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I did the MSc in Computers there part-time, so i cannot really comment on "the talent". Lots of business type courses, take from that what you will.

But I can say the college is extremely well run, they are extremely flexible and supportive with special requests, nothing is too much trouble. They have excellent facilities and I believe they are building on as we speak.

There is also quite a high percentage of foreign students (I would guesstimate it is almost 50% from casual observation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭canavanbn@hotma

Is there much of a social scene at GCD?Any sort of a freshers/excuse for a booze up week this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thinking of going there myself in September, don't know much about it apart from your paying for a Degree, i presume they wouldnt work you too hard.Imagine its another version of the Institute.
    Yeah a male/female ratio and lowdown on social life would be of benefit.

Please tell me, are you really as stupid as you sound?

You imagine they wouldn't work you too hard?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

cheesedude wrote:
    Please tell me, are you really as stupid as you sound?

You imagine they wouldn't work you too hard?

:rolleyes:

I know someone who is currently going there. He does the minimal of work and hasn't failed anything yet - when his classmates failed an exam, they were given 10+ days of 'grueling' tutorials and immediately sat repeat exams from what he said.

He could have been talking out of his arse, but why brag about something like that?

Mixie wrote:
    I know someone who is currently going there. He does the minimal of work and hasn't failed anything yet - when his classmates failed an exam, they were given 10+ days of 'grueling' tutorials and immediately sat repeat exams from what he said.

He could have been talking out of his arse, but why brag about something like that?

If it is First Year, you generally do nothing.

Every college and university organises extra tutorials when need be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

It's not first year.

But still, I have heard tons of people in primary/secondary and third level claiming they have done nothing but they must have done something to pass. I mean the pass rate is still 40% or whatever and they still do the same topics.

If they just do it again and again to make sure students know it or organise extra tutorials for students who feel they need it, well then that is excellent and the way it should be.

think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I think there's still an impression around among employers that Griffith College isn't a "real" college, so a degree from there mightn't stand up against a degree from any other college.

drane2 wrote:
    I think there's still an impression around among employers that Griffith College isn't a "real" college, so a degree from there mightn't stand up against a degree from any other college.

Now that is certainly true I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spooks

I'm a student in Griffith, and am about to start my second year in Legal Studies. To be fair, the facalities (1 run down bar and a coffie deck, thats about it) and the social events (non-existent RAG and Freshers Weeks) are pretty poor there. There is very little interaction between the Student Union and the Students and there is very little to do in between lectures. But, you should make the most of your own time. I would normally go into town between lectures for example.

However, with regard to the actual course, I think its superb. The teaching techniques are better then most colleges as there is smaller classes and hence the lecturer can teach each stuadent individually a lot better then somewhere where there is a bigger class. On average, class size was as low as 15 last year! I have not heard one complaint from any of my classmates about the standard of teaching.

Drain2, I would like to know where you heard GCD wasn't a "real" college? From what I have gathered, a degree in GCD could stand up against any other degree.....unless you've heard otherwise. Is it just because of the stigma attached to it being a private college that you made that statement?

As for the people who go there, it is vastly forigen nationals. Mainly Chineese. I would say between 40 - 50% Chineese alone. There is also a number of Muslems, Africans and a few Brits. There are many D4 heads, but I'm from Clondalkin, and as a matter of fact, still live there, so there is a decent mixture of people.

I'd recommend GCD.....but try to find something to do between lectures! ;) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Spooks wrote:
    Drain2, I would like to know where you heard GCD wasn't a "real" college? From what I have gathered, a degree in GCD could stand up against any other degree.....unless you've heard otherwise. Is it just because of the stigma attached to it being a private college that you made that statement?

Spooks, think about it. GCD is providing a service to fee paying students. You want value for money (i.e. a qualification). So, however incorrect it is, the perception is out there that in any private college, you are essentially buying your qualification.

Almost all qualifications in Griffith are certified by HETAC, as they are in all third level colleges in Ireland (apart from Universities, that is). The perception I am referring to is that private colleges mark that bit easier to give out good results, to give them a good name, to make them more money. Look at the exam marking stucture in GCD as an example. A tad on the generous side, I am sure you will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Jackthe

I have just completed the llb degree course in griffith and have stated the fe 1's therethis month, and I have to say that to say that private colleges mark easier is facile in the extreme.To say you can buy a degree there, is ridiculous, I suppose that the meteor student media awards that griffith were awarded this year are a refelction on this. not to mention that griffith produced the best exam result in the world in one of their accountancy exams with another student coming in the world top ten. When i was looking into where to do a law degree course initially, griffith was recommended to me by a barrister, who has taken all his recent devils from griffith. I busted my ass this year and I can tell you that every mark I got was fought for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Spooks wrote:
    From what I have gathered, a degree in GCD could stand up against any other degree.....unless you've heard otherwise. Is it just because of the stigma attached to it being a private college that you made that statement?

The low points requirements don't help, I think. The minimum requirements are between 200 and 300 points, and many private colleges are back-up options for students who don't get enough points on their Leaving Cert to get into one of the universities... so that does affect how people view GCD and other private colleges, regardless of the quality of the teaching etc.

Advertisement