Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Digital Camera - Any Good?

• 29-06-2004 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, has anyone got the digital camera from aldi here?.

Is it a bargin at €149?
    I'm looking for one but dont know anything about them.

Heres what it says:
    4M pixels, 2x digital zoom, 1.5" TFT LCD screen, 32Mb secure digital memory card included, QVGA movie mode at 24 fps, 10 second self timer, 3 mode flash, red eye reduction, video output with TV connection, USB output with PC connection. Includes pouch, bag with belt loop, USB cable, video/TV cable, driver software, picture editing software, AC mains adaptor, battery charger and two rechargeable batteries. Recording capability of 120 seconds in movie mode or 20 pictures at maximum resolution, 470 pictures at minimum resolution when using the 32Mb memory card supplied. SD card slot allows use of cards up to 256Mb. Requires a minimum computer operating system of Windows®98 for USB camera connection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I suppose it's a good starter camera for the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I was researching buying digital cameras recently.
    I learned that the most important element of the camera is the lens and what to look for, really, is a brand name like Canon or Nikon.

I don't know how much of that is true but I bought a Canon A70 second hand on boards.ie and I'm really happy with it. It's 3.2 MP but it takes far higher quality pictures than my dads 4.0MP lidl job.

I suppose it makes sense, the MP is just the resolution really isn't it? If you've got a crap lense then you'll get high resolution crap.

The Canon also has the ability to manually set the shutter speed an aperture as well as several preset shooting modes (night-time, blur, landscape, portrait etc.)

If you're going to be spending 150 you would probably be better off forking out an extra hundred quid or so to get a far superior camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Have to agree!!! Its not the MP.. i have a Canon powershot S100 its only 2mp but far better than most cameras for image quality. By most i mean cheaper brands with better looking specs like Lidl or Aldi stuff.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S100/S100A.HTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The more pixels the big picture you'll be able to print. It has no effect on print quality. For 6x4's all you need is a 2mp camera. The quality is determined by the quality of the lense, the CCD and the software/electronics. In generally the cheap no name digital cameras aren't any where near the quality of the branded ones.

But good as a starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DaUnforgiven

Thanks for the replies guys,

I see Lidl are offering one now too here.

"Nytech" Digital Camera 5.0 Megapixel
    5.0 Megapixel CCD
    High quality CCD-sensor for perfect photo quality
    Maximum resolution: 2560 x 1920 pixel/24 bit
    High quality lens with 3 x optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom
    1.5" colour LTPS LCD
    Video function with sound recording (maximum 3 minutes)
    Video-out: view your pictures on your TV
    Fast USB connection
    With 128MB SD Memory Card and 4 x 2000mAh rechargeable batteries
    Includes software
    Price per item

€299

I think Ill steer clear and look into Cannon and Nikon ones and keep an eye on the FS boards here.

Unforgiven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Read this Its a Lidl complaints board but one of them is about said camera... utter crap it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought the aldi camera today as a present for a friend of mine who's going travelling.

It's quite small, fits into your hand. Photos seem OK with it on screen, but I didn't upload any to PC yet. On screen menus are nice, but the viewscreen is cluttered with the various flash etc setting symbols when on. The sliding cover over the lens is very plastic as is the case, but again, what do you expect for E150.

Considering my friend's gadgets have a very high attrition rate (2 minidisc players and 4 phones in the last few years), this will do him great for a first digital camera.

Advertisement