Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Invests €55 Million On New Broadband Rollout

Options
  • 29-06-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Dublin, Tuesday, 29th June, 2004
    Dermot Ahern TD, Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources today announced the next phase of the Regional Broadband Programme, which will bring high speed communications links to another 350,000 people.

A further 41 towns are to be targeted as part of the Metropolitan Area Networks programme which so far has delivered broadband to 26 large cities and towns around the country. The new programme will cost €55 million, funded 90% by the Government in partnership with local authorities. The initial programme has led to the installation of communications links which are seen as a major driver of inward investment.

The 41 towns are: Athenry, Ballinasloe, Ballybofey, Bantry, Blarney, Bundoran, Carrigaline, Castleblaney, Castleisland, Castlerea, Claremorris, Clifden, Clones, Cobh, Cahir, Dingle, Donabate, Dunshaughlin, Enniskerry, Furbo, Kenmare, Kilcoole, Kildare, Kinsale, Knock, Longford, Maynooth, Midleton, Mitchelstown, Mountmellick, Nenagh, Newbridge, Rathangan, Ratoath, Sallins, Skerries, Skibereen, Sligo, Tramore, Trim and Youghal.

The Minister’s Department will now issue a Call For Proposals to the local authorities over the next few weeks. Following this, it is expected that the first construction work will commence in the autumn. Projects will be completed within 12 months. A further tranche of towns is expected to be announced in the near future as part of the Government’s expanding broadband action plan.
    Minister Ahern said: “The networks already in the ground have cost in the region of €65 million but they will repay this investment back ten fold through increased competitiveness, global access and application of cutting edge technology.”

“These networks are placing Ireland at the forefront of the technology revolution, providing the infrastructure to sustain our economic growth and jobs and lead to a better future for everyone.”
    ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

These networks are placing Ireland at the forefront of the technology revolution.

ROFL. Does Ahern actually believe that? It could only be considered to be the forefront if we were a third world country, not an "e-commerce hub" in Europe. Why, just once, can't they admit the truth and say something along the lines of "This will allow us to take a step closer to catching up with the rest of the developed world".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Q. As the towns have already been selected and the Local Authority will build the MAN's why is there a 'Call for Proposals' at all?

Q. If the Local Authority doesn't want to get involved what happens to the proposed MAN in their County?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by thegills
    Q. As the towns have already been selected and the Local Authority will build the MAN's why is there a 'Call for Proposals' at all?

Q. If the Local Authority doesn't want to get involved what happens to the proposed MAN in their County?

If the local authority does not take the money for Furbo then Udarás na Gaeltachta will take it instead.

If Neither a Local Authority nor Development Authority 'propose' I propose to apply for it along with Adam and trouser the lot between us .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

While I'm delighted for all the 350,000 people living in those urban areas, what about those of us, who are just on the outskirts, yet are just that little bit too far away from an exchange to allow us to get broadband?

I wonder what is the number of people in my situation? Its all well and good to say that you're providing broadband to another 350,000 people, but how many of those will actually be able to get broadband? Where did the figure come from? Is it the number of people living within those urban areas? If so, then is it also the number of people living within the required distance of a dsl-enabled exchange? And if it is, is it the number of people whose line has/will pass the dsl test?

I get the impression that its a load of spin, designed to "fool" the great unwashed into thinking that Dermot Ahern is ACTUALLY doing something positive.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Can anyone tell me whay Cavan is not on that list when the Department of Communications is been moved there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ask This shower what the story is . They are responsible for selling space on it .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by clearz
    Can anyone tell me whay Cavan is not on that list when the Department of Communications is been moved there.
    Because Government Departments don't need ADSL for their employees to waste more time on. They use leased lines for their broadband needs between the department and their service providers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

what about those of us, who are just on the outskirts, yet are just that little bit too far away from an exchange to allow us to get broadband?
    Hopefully broadband can be provided by operators using technology other than DSL (e.g. wireless). Anyone further outside the new MAN areas would submit an Group Broadband Scheme application to the Dept in partnership with a BISP in order to procure funding for their area.
    Where did the figure come from? Is it the number of people living within those urban areas? If so, then is it also the number of people living within the required distance of a dsl-enabled exchange? And if it is, is it the number of people whose line has/will pass the dsl test?
    I assume the figure came from the population of those urban areas.

As I said, I would also assume that the Dept. are not going to rely on DSL to provide broadband to people in these areas. The fibre will be laid in the ground and sold wholesale onto broadband providers and distributed through their (alternative) last mile access.
    I get the impression that its a load of spin, designed to "fool" the great unwashed into thinking that Dermot Ahern is ACTUALLY doing something positive.
    Not that I'm in anyway terribly political but I can't seem to remember Mary O'Rourke being as active on the broadband issue as the current Minister seems to be...

viking

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    Ask This shower what the story is .
    I've just set my stopwatch: be interesting to see how long before the site emerges from the construction phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Originally posted by Muck
    Ask This shower what the story is . They are responsible for selling space on it .

M

Doesn't bode well. The site is currently under construction :)

• Advertisement

Doesn't bode well. The site is currently under construction
    They couldn't exactly update the site until their procurement was announced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by viking
    ...Not that I'm in anyway terribly political but I can't seem to remember Mary O'Rourke being as active on the broadband issue as the current Minister seems to be...
    viking

No, that's true. I guess to give him his due, he has done some positive things. Its just the political spin (read b******t) that really annoys me.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Very true but there is nothing on it. Not even an address, phone number or even a list of officers

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by thegills
    They couldn't exactly update the site until their procurement was announced!
    Of course they could - have a whole new site ready offline, and upload it simultaneously with the announcement.

It's not like they didn't know they were going to get the contract...

Of course they could - have a whole new site ready offline, and upload it simultaneously with the announcement
    Thats true, but what would be the point if the site doesn't contain the key info; they have yet to sort out new offices, contact details etc. They probably haven't agreed the fibre / duct lease rates either as they have yet to take full control of the MANs from the Local Authorities, etc.

Advertisement