Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let the Saga begin!!

• 29-06-2004 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey all,

ok, moving houses and have to get broadband in the new house. About 18months ago I had a 3 month long battle of wills with Eircom about getting BB in current location and finally managed to get it (and am I am NEVER going back to dial up!!).

Basically, phone line installed last Wednesday.

- Phone line was already in the house it was just turned 'on'
    - cannot make out going calls, although can receive incoming calls
    - the area is BB enabled and houses around me have it alright.

What I want to know is, when I am talking to a biddy in Eircom, what do I say? I know I have to get a line test done, but how or who do I ask?

From what I remembered from my last battle (repressed memories, it was so horrible!) a line test takes a couple of days. How do I order this line test? When I ask about it the biddy says she can't and that my line test failed (but I think it failed, because she is looking at a database of old tests, how do I get it updated?)

thx for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

See if the old number for that line is on the test database as a pass. Contact former owner or tenant to get it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you either wait until the database is updated or pressure your broadband provider to get the test pushed through quickly.

I had the same problem with UTV when I moved house. Contacted (read hounded) Eircom & Eircom wholesale for about a week until they completed the test and let UTV get on with the task of putting the order through and getting the line enabled.

I was still waiting a month to get activated, you probably will be too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go with another provider maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Go with another provider maybe?

They're all working off the same database of numbers that pass around the 26th of each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Don't bother dealing with Eircom and all this line testing nonsense, just give IOL a call and tell them you want broadband, if you can get it, they'll give it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    Don't bother dealing with Eircom and all this line testing nonsense, just give IOL a call and tell them you want broadband, if you can get it, they'll give it to you.

IOL can't test your line. IOL (just like netsource, utv etc etc) are all working off a database provided by: Eircom.
    They might tell you they'll get another line test done, but trust me, they're just fobbed off by eircom.

Advertisement