Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush Just Can't Keep His Nose Out...

Options
  • 29-06-2004 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

...of other people's business. Can he?

Now he wants to tell the EU when Turkey should join. In a speech before he left for Turkey the other day he was saying that:

"As Turkey meets the EU standards for membership, the European Union should begin talks that will lead to full membership for the Republic of Turkey," Bush said.

He's got some balls. WTF does he know about the conditions for accession? Not much I'd say. At least Chirac was able to give a comeback at the NATO summit:

"If President Bush really said that in the way that I read, then not only did he go too far, but he went into territory that isn't his," Chirac said.

"It's a bit like if I told the United States how they should manage their relations with Mexico."

I'm sure the Turks will like being compared to Mexicans, but anyhoo...

Some linkage:
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apmideast_story.asp?category=1107&slug=NATO%20Summit%20Chirac

http://www.turkishpress.com/turkishpress/news.asp?ID=21802

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3850181.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No no no, I don't think we'll add another US puppet government to the EU yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by PHB
    You think the Turkish government is a puppet of the US? Explain this then, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It is highly inappropriate for him to have made that remark and if anything will now delay any Turkish entry into the EU on principle. From what I gather, even the UK are fuming over this.
    Originally posted by PHB
    That's a little unfair. Turkey, under great pressure and as NATO members, did tell them to piss off more than once, where it came from a northern land invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would explain it by a systematic leak in order to ensure that they can demostrate some sort of independence but in reality its just so next time they get told what to do it'll look like they did it out of free will

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Meh
    You think the Turkish government is a puppet of the US? Explain this then, please.

Got anything older? That link was from before the war.

The Turks didn't want to have anything to do with that in case they pissed off the Iraqis?
    They had enough on their plates wondering what the story was with the Kurds and what they might get up to with their colleagues over the border in Iraq?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by ChipZilla

The Turks didn't want to have anything to do with that in case they pissed off the Iraqis?
    They had enough on their plates wondering what the story was with the Kurds and what they might get up to with their colleagues over the border in Iraq?

The turks didn't want anything to do with it until the US agreed that the Kurdish was not given their own country to run.

Kind of ironic when Bush was spouting off about freeing Kurds from denied rights under Saddam only to agree to Turkey to get their help.

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Same government.
    So what you're telling me is that the Turks followed their own interests instead of doing what the US wanted them to do? QED, I believe.
    Originally posted by PHB:
    I would explain it by a systematic leak in order to ensure that they can demostrate some sort of independence but in reality its just so next time they get told what to do it'll look like they did it out of free will
    Oh great, here come the conspiracy theories. Don't suppose you have anything to back this theory up, or did you just pull it out of your ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Originally posted by Meh

That BBC news link is from March last year!

Breaking news....Archduke Ferdinand has just been shot!

The US give Turkey a couple of hundred million dollars a year.

Turkey makes Bosco look a agent of free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DublinWriter
    Breaking news....Archduke Ferdinand has just been shot!
    Dagnabbit, the Kaiser's gonna be pissed - and I had money on Austria-Hungary to win euro 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

And there goes my holiday in Flanders.

• Advertisement

That BBC news link is from March last year!
    Wow, short attention span, haven't we? I suppose we should forget all about Bush's WMD claims and the justifications for the Iraq war as well because, hey, that was all in March last year. Ancient history!
    The US give Turkey a couple of hundred million dollars a year.
    And if you read the article, the Turks turned down six billion more in aid because they refused to allow US troops through their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by sceptre
    Dagnabbit, the Kaiser's gonna be pissed - and I had money on Austria-Hungary to win euro 2004.

Thye Ottoman empire looks like the safest bet for now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Whatever reason it is that bush wants the Turks to be allowed access the fact remains that it is none of his business!!
    Not being racist or anything (although that is exactly what I am being) but from my own experience of the turks I personally wouldn't like them in the EU. I lived in Antwerp for a few years where there are quite a few turks and they are the filthiest race I've ever seen - both in their attitudes to women and inparticular in their attitudeother cultures...

Originally posted by BUMP!
    Not being racist or anything (although that is exactly what I am being) but from my own experience of the turks I personally wouldn't like them in the EU. I lived in Antwerp for a few years where there are quite a few turks and they are the filthiest race I've ever seen - both in their attitudes to women and inparticular in their attitudeother cultures...

Yes, it's funny how racists always start sentances with 'I'm not being a racist, but...'

That's kind of like me saying 'I'm not a murderer, but I'm going to stick this axe in your head'.

British people said much the same about the Irish who went to live in London in the 50's/60's, so draw your own conclusions.

I've lived in Belgium for a couple of years, and I'm aware of the racial tensions with the Turks, Antwerp especially. It was because of all this that Belgium's (well, Flander's) very own BNP was set up - the Vlaamsblok - in Antwerp.

Are you talking about Turks as a whole, or just the Turkish comminity in Belgium?

As for attitudes to women, the Swiss didn't let women vote until....wait for it...1971!!!

Originally posted by BUMP!
    in particular in their attitude other cultures...
    "I can't stand those dirty Turks and their lack of tolerance for other cultures!" The ironing is delicious...

Originally posted by Meh
    "I can't stand those dirty Turks and their lack of tolerance for other cultures!" The ironing is delicious...

...there's a Freudian slip if ever I saw one.

Their Delight isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

I think he is right Turkey should be allowed to join we just took on 10 new countries and I bet most of them pale beside Turkey. Reality is a lot of euro politicians fear Turkey's large and growing muslim population. After all how will those French and German be able to get there own way when a country as big as Turkey joins??????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Bush exspressed an opinion that Turkey should be brought into the EU. Woopdee ****ing doo. Most sane people agree this is what should happen. The US and the Turks are allies, Bush is clearly going to speak up for them, or at least the Turks would expect him to. False upset and hand wringing on the part of the French is laughable but predictable.

Anyway most Europeans are happy to advise the US on how to conduct its internal and external affairs so pot, kettle, black as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ditto Sand, yet another non-story for the "Anti" brigade to seize upon. Let 'em in I say and watch the Franch and Germans quake, they're already pissed off with the eastern States and thier fondness for anglo-american captialism.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

As for attitudes to women, the Swiss didn't let women vote until....wait for it...1971!!!

The nagging finally got to them did it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Maybe Its just ol bush doing what he dose best, stirin it up....

Given the bush admins links to the pnac , Id say they arnt very happy at the chances of turkey joining the eu.Would the turkish in the eu not be a stratigic loss for any american powerbase? Especially for those seeking a stratagy of american dominance.

Seems the ("great") game is afoot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

From what I know, Turkey has not gotten into the EU yet because it isn't up to 'code', now I dont know what that code is, nor do i know if it has been bent a little to ensure Turkey cant get in, but the fact is, Bush has no place to tell the EU who is should and shouldn't let in. Maybe Turkey should get in, but Bush has no place in that debate,.

Saying that, it is abit of a non-story, had he demanded the EU let them in right away or else he'd bomb us all... now that might be a story worth reading.

flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    but the fact is, Bush has no place to tell the EU who is should and shouldn't let in. Maybe Turkey should get in, but Bush has no place in that debate,.

flogen
    He can express his opinion though and he can lobby.
    Saying he is telling them to let Turkey in is like saying he is ordering them to let them in.
    He's not doing that and of course he's not entitled to do that.

For flips sake it's only a speech he gave expressing what he wanted.
    Are we to ban speeches on foreign policy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Earthman

Are we to ban speeches on foreign policy now?

No, but his comment has probably made things worse for Turkey. If turkey does get in he will probably be all "I told them to do that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Im not too impressed with the US of A interferring with internal E.U business. It is not for Bush to say publicially who should be allowed to join the EU. Next thing he will be pushing for is to allow Israel to join.

I dont think the French or Germans will be too impressed with that statement. Personally Im not too sure about this whole case for the turks joining. There is 68,893,918 (July 2004 est.) million of them and its going to be a MAJOR player in EU business. I have nothing against turks but Im voting No.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    There is 68,893,918 (July 2004 est.) million of them and its going to be a MAJOR player in EU business. I have nothing against turks but Im voting No.

why?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think the reasons already stated , that Turkey being in the EU would have a positive effect on the EU buisness wise , and we dont want that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

As Turkey meets the EU standards for membership, the European Union should begin talks that will lead to full membership for the Republic of Turkey," Bush said

That sounds to me as if he gave his opinion as to what they shoud do not "tell them" as so many of you have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Sand
    Anyway most Europeans are happy to advise the US on how to conduct its internal and external affairs so pot, kettle, black as they say.
    Most Europeans perhaps, but not European heads of State. So not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Can you explain that phrase about the kettle.

I posted the reasons why I dont wish Turkey to join the E.U on the Turkey thread;)

Advertisement