Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying software in China

Options
  • 29-06-2004 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Dear All

Does anyone know the legality on buying an official version of Microsoft software in the orient? Can it be purchased and used here? Will it work on Irish computers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wouldn't your copy of windows then be in Chinese (or whatever language)? There's no way of changing the language after installation afaik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes you can change the language - but only if it's a corporate version and you then have to buy the language option - so it would end up costing more....

BTW: if it is a site selling windows for less than half the normal price or it mentions the word BACKUP anyware then it warez and is worth nothing - esp. since M$ have confirmed that the won't allow updates for pirate copies. - also watch out for Acedemic versions - if you are a student you can get them here too.

However if it is a legit "grey import" English language version should be OK.
    How many flavours in XP ? - or are they all the same
    UK/US/Aussie/International English

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niallirl

Hi All

Thanks for comming back to me, my plan was just to use the code to activate an english language version that i have here. Dont care about the box, just want the licence. Is that leagal do you think?

Regards niall

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My guess is that you aren't allowed to register a product with the code from another one.

Technically has been hard to recognise since most of the OEM codes for pre XP products have been interchangable with other products of the same family - eg office Pro keys may work with Access / Powerpoint - so I don't know if the activiation thingy will be more restrictive.

Unfortunatley M$ do not use English in the same way as the rest of us. eg: remove all does not remove all - the eraser2k utility does not work on XP even when you hack it to do so there you still end up with junk in the office folders, registry and users profile. ie. "All" in this case means "some" - in fact since "remove all" will almost never solve a problem with inherited settings.... - the point is to read the ELUA (which a lot of DELL PC's seem to be missing these days) and then try to figure out what it means in a) English b) Microsoft and c) Legalese

Advertisement