Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband disconnecting

• 29-06-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I got IOL Broadband last week and its been working ok, except it seems to get disconnected an awful lot(once every hour or two on average), which I didn't think happened with broadband. I don't get an error and the dsl light on the modem stays on but all traffic just stops, I can't even access 192.168.1.1 which is the modem settings.
    Turning the modem off and on again fixes it but this is very annoying when I come back to a download after leaving it on for hours and discovering it disconnected after a few minutes.
    Is this normal with broadband? Would it be computer settings/bad phoneline/ bad service? Any suggestions? I've e-mailed IOL but dunno how fast and reliable their tech support is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I was getting that a couple of months ago.

Try using these DNS settings:

Primary: 192.111.39.1
    Secondary: 192.111.39.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by steviec
    I don't get an error and the dsl light on the modem stays on but all traffic just stops, I can't even access 192.168.1.1 which is the modem settings.
    That's not a DSL problem - you've either got a bad "modem", or there's something flakey with your PC. Are you using the USB connection or the ethernet connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm connected by USB
    Once I switch the modem off and on again I can access it immediately though, seems strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

modem may be set to an lease period? is it set periods or not, had slight problems before kept disconnecting after 1 hour, found out the modem had been set to an lease period of 1 hr

Ermm I haven't come across anything about a lease period?

I have gone many hours without it disconnecting sometimes, seems to be kind of random

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by steviec
    I'm connected by USB
    Once I switch the modem off and on again I can access it immediately though, seems strange
    What's strange about that? If it's a flakey USB driver, then you will probably get the same result by unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. If that works, then it's very likely a problem at the PC end. Personally, I'd try connecting to the ethernet port, but if you don't have an ethernet port available for your PC, then you could try uninstlling and re-installing the USB drivers (though that's always an opportunity for getting your PC "comfused").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Can you find a firmware/driver update for the modem? I have the same kind of problems with my router it collapses under heavy bittorrent files because of the numberous connections - it freezes and I afto unplug it:( . Apparently it's the crappy firmware.

Ahhh I always have bit torrents running when it goes down actually, could be onto something there

Hmm I stopped running bittorrent today and it still happened. I've tried reinstalling usb drivers and stuff too but no luck. I have a second computer connected to it by ethernet so I must check to see if that still works when the connection goes down on this one.
    Still waiting for IOL to reply to their e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

maybe a stupid question but have you got adsl filters on the other phones in the house ?

I've found not having these to cause disconnects on old phone lines.

try unplugging the other phones and see if it disconnects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

sounds like a buggered modem. usb dsl modems are $hite imo, much prefar ethernet

Well it has an ethernet socket too but i have a bit of an awkward situation, I have three PCs, my main one attached to the modem by USB and attached to the second PC by ethernet, then the third PC is just attached to the modem by ethernet, meaning its on the net but not on the network. I need the first two networked together so I'll need some new equipment to attach my own pc to the modem by ethernet.

Well I've done some testing and I've found the ethernet never disconnects. I have two computers connected to it, one by ethernet and one by usb, and the ethernet one continues working perfectly when I lose connection on the usb one.
    Guess this means I'm gonna have to go buy a hub and more ethernet cable and more clutter for the room now.
    I don't understand how the signal can make its way no problem through miles of low quality phonelines but gets lost in the short length of usb cable between my modem and PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

It's not the USB cable that's the problem - it's the driver, and the way it interacts with your OS. If you don't like clutter, you 'll have to live with it, but it's only a palm-sized hub and a couple of cables. Ethernet is rock-solid industrial-strength technology - it just works, and is infinitely preferable to USB for this purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

its not a usb driver problem either, ive been having the same sh!te all day and im using a prestige 623 with ethernet cable have to reset the modem every couple of mins again only happening under heavy traffic for me also
    :confused:

ok just had a breakthrough, its spyware causing this there was one of those my search bars at the bottom of me screen since tuesday kept meaning to remove it but cot sidetracked, finally did it now and guess what??? the disconnecting problem is gone with it. suggest try using lavasofts adware6 to remove it worked for me, just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh, might as well grab spybot search and destroy while you're at it.
    updates for it are small and scans only take a couple of minutes.
    itself and adaware make a good tag team:)

yea ive used taht too but that couldnt pickup my search bar :confused: adware foun d 206 spy bots search and destroy missed and then when i ran spybot afterwards it found 15 adware missed:confused:

Advertisement