Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V525 Battery Life improvement

• 29-06-2004 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have a Motoroal V525 and the battery life was unpredictable and generally dreadful. Even with very few or no calls I could lose 60% of charge in one day.

Anyway a simple adjustment has made a huge difference:

In the setup menu ->Network->Network Setup->Speed change to Slow.

Now I get several days out of the battery and I have noticed no difference in performance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

nice tip, thanks.

I just thought that the meter didn't reflect the actual level of the battery e.g. I could charge the phone until it says "fully charged" and then a few minutes later it says it's down to 60%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

seems to be extending my battery life - whats the reason does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Thanks for the heads up Mad Mike. One question though, would this affect d/l speeds when browsing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I amn't sure what it does but I think it has something to do with network search. I know that network search can consume a lot of power but I don't really know what is going on here.

I can't comment about browsing - but c'mon at €0.02 per kb you cannot seriously be using your phone for downloading anything. Get yourself a cable or bluetooth connection to connect to a PC and save a fortune.

I woul dlove to be able to use y phone to browse the internet but I reckon a single boards.ie page would cost me about a weeks wages!!!

Encouraged by the success of setting network speed to slow I experimented further and found another tweak:

In Settings->Network->Network Setup->Band

Change from Automatic to 900/1800

This makes a huge difference in battery life for me.

I used to get less than one day from a full battery. Now with Network Speed set to slow and band set to 900/1800 I get four days battery life with moderate usage.

Note: If you travel abroad (particularly to USA) you may have to change band in order to pick up a signal but as long as you stay in Ireland it makes sense to stay fixed.

Note 2: Still not sure why this works - I am not entirely convinced that I didn't just get a duff phone. I would love to hear from anyone else who has battery issues with a V525 to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my g/f has a v600 (got it for her b'day) and i was appalled by the battery life being nothing like what was quoted in the manuals and reviews. hopefully this will improve things for her.

thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

otherwise the battery life on the v600 is v poor (excuse the pun) ;)

I got a V300 about three weeks ago, yesterday I charged my phone, sent a lot of texts and it was dead earlier today. My phone was set to "Continuous" - I sure hope this makes the battery life a bit better. My old Nokia 3310 lasted about 4-5 days.
    This particular phone is on Meteor, by setting the speed to slow will it affect my coverage at all?

Karsini wrote:
    I got a V300 about three weeks ago, yesterday I charged my phone, sent a lot of texts and it was dead earlier today. My phone was set to "Continuous" - I sure hope this makes the battery life a bit better. My old Nokia 3310 lasted about 4-5 days.
    This particular phone is on Meteor, by setting the speed to slow will it affect my coverage at all?

Well I've just returned from holidaying aroung Ireland and while I ecountered several coverage blackspots I cannot say that the "Slow" Setting seemed to make anything worse. The blackspots were all real - at the bottom of valleys and such.

I did notice that being in an area of patchy coverage did have some funny side effects. Battery standby time is lower than it is in Dublin and on a couple of occasions the phone switched itself off even though there was still plenty of charge left. I am still a bit suspicious that something is not quite right about my phone but at least my current settings give me a workable compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Have a v525... battery life is terrible. Can never make it to 48 hours. Going to try some of those tweaks though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement