Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Wrestling's Future?

• 29-06-2004 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Can Irish wrestling survive ?

Can Irish Wrestling Take Off? 6 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Unfortunatley i would have to say no.

Simply, Ireland is too small, and the public in general just dont like it. Now I know that the Tour Of Defiance recently sold out 2 shows in minutes, but lets be honest, almost, probably most Irish Wrestling fans were actually at those gigs. Not to mention the fact that wwe is an established product, and the Irish public still arent mad about it. Look at the eircom League ffs. A great product which offers great skill, and great entertainment, yet the public scoff at every oppurtunity at it.

Perhaps, a joint UK and Irish promotion could work, as it would certainly put more talent into it, could create better rivalries etc.

NOTE: the above isnt a dig at any aspiring Irish wrestlers, just the way theings are, unfortunatly. Big respect goes to you all in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I dont see why not, its just about building up a solid even if not massive fanbase. Face it if irish promotions keep puttting on good shows then the word will eventually get out and more and more ppl will go to watch it.

Do i ever think wrestling will be as big in ireland as it is in the states or even UK no, but there is room. All those ppl who went to the point to watch wwe are potential irish wrestling fans, lets hope a few check it out.

I for one love the fact that im watching live wrestling every few months and with IWW starting to do shows now thats only gonna become more frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It certainly has a tough future. The only people who are really into it I think are the hardcore wrestling fans. The average WWE fan doesn't really care to be honest. At the WWE show, in the queue outside, one of the companies was handing out flyers, and the people behind me got one and one asked his mate "What's that?" The reply from his mate was "Oh just some ****ty Irish fellas" Don't know if they were just fairweather wrestling fans who watch a bit of Raw and Smackdown here and there or whether they were really big into wrestling, but that attitude seems to be how a lot of people would feel. I think you'd have to actually get them into the building to see what it's like, but getting them in there is the hard part.

Saying that, I haven't been to an Irish show myself (mostly due to money situation) so I haven't a clue what the product is like. I can't make it this week either, but I think next time the shows come around I might take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭donkey 2002

Well I have to say that I see points in all 3 posts so far. Due to a lot of channels that :( upon wrestling and most i would believe think that WWE is the only company worth investing in. Thankfully we now have the wrestling channel and it shows fans that choice does exsist. The unfortunate thing? the wrestling channel is only on sky. Maybe in the future they could spread the good word.
    Wrestling is much better to see live and we have some great wrestlers that I know of in NWA Ireland and I'm sure there are some in both IWW and UCW that are making a mark for themselves. But no matter what you say to some people in their minds it's not WWE so they are not good enough.
    :mad: I hate people like that and I'm sure everyone else feels the same. If things are going to take off we need to get the word out and make our own home grown heros

Long live Irish Wrestling!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Thanks for the support.
    I will be wrestling my first match on Friday the 9th and I am nervous enough, but I do realise that people have no time for Irish wrestling, but like you said, its a joint effort and with alot of hard ass work, we can put Irish wrestling on the map...

If money if your problem, cheak out IWWs shows starting on the 9th. The tickets at the door are ONLY 11euro. You will get an amazing show for that much. I highly recomend everyone goes. Plus cheak out NWA website for their ticket info.

I will be posting directions to mount temple on the Irish promotions news thread soon. Like I said, 11euro is nothing.

If you wanna support Irish wrestling, come to the shows.

Hanza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭burningspirit

Yeah, I second what Hanza says...

Come to the IwW show next friday and you will see the result of 10 hungry young dudes who have lived eaten slept and crapped pro wrestling for the past 3 months to make this the best show they possibly can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

And therein lies the problem, I did wrestling training years ago, but found I could do nothing in Ireland, and because of pure financial restrictions I couldnt even move to England to continue training.

The problem is even now Ireland is still in its infancy in relation to wrestling schools being set up and established.

Everywhere else, even in England they have been around for years and that is saying something when we literally are just across the pond from them.

Whilst IWW and NWA will get an established and hardcore fanbase in Ireland, the truth is they will never make it outside of Ireland - and because of what doneky 2002 said about tv stations frowning upon wrestling in general, it would prove immensely difficult for either federation to secure a weekly show that would not live and die by its ratings alone.

Remember ECW was around a long time before they got their tv deal, but they brought something different to the wrestling table, so to speak - they brought innovation, atleast innovation to the Americans

Think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

maybe, like i no a few irish people who have gone to wrestle in wwe for 1 match at house shows and before raw/smackdown. My cousin did it:) seroiusly.

I dont doubt that.
    WWE house show worker come from all over the place. If he is some what good and working in the states, he would have probally had the option open to him a few times.

no he went to a wrestling school in florida, part of it involved going to wwe events and before the shows they were let wrestle in the ring with some superstars. it wasnt in front of a crowd or anything just when the arenas were being setup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

well im just tellin yas what he told me, it was dory funks school btw

They had connections to WWE back then. So he would have done some try out shows. He was very lucky, and must have had some potential. Thats brilliant for him...

yea hes goin back in october broke at the minute, but he is wrestling at iww on friday in mount tempal and then carlow the following week and he has done loads of shows in germany aswell

Really!?

Whats his name, or what name does he wrestle under for IwW?

Advertisement