Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Student Licenses

Options
  • 29-06-2004 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for information on Windows XP (Home or Professional - most likely home) Student Licenses - I've seen on loads of forums that they exist (including this one) - but nobody seems to know where to get them? I got an Office XP Student Edition from Amazon last year, but I don't see any Student Editions of Operating Systems - do they actually exist? And, if they do, are they much cheaper than OEM versions? I need to get a copy sometime during July, and the cheapest I can get is an OEM version for €103 in Komplett - I'd really prefer to get a full student edition if it's available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Off topic - What does OEM stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OEM is basically just the cd of windows xp and the COA (certificate of auth.) you get no manual or boxed but the finished product is the same once installed on a pc.

staying on topic this is what i found for you.

here

i know it's only an upgrade but it's the best i could find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Thanks for that Cr3m0 - it's close to what I'm looking for - closer than anything I've found so far anyway. Just two problems: the price (was hoping that the academic/student edition would be sub €100 - probably wishful thinking), and the fact that it's an upgrade - I don't have anything to upgrade from - all the other versions of Windows I have (98 and XP Home) have came bundled with Packard Bell/Dell computers, and refuse to install on anything else. So I'm stuck with buying a full version, retail or OEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

afia can remember dont the newer windows upgrade just require you to insert the old versions cd at some point rather than requiring it to actually be installed.

OEM stands for Original Equipement Manufacturer - its a term nicked from the automotive and other industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

According to microsoft's website, only office 2003 is currently available under the student and teacher licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by subway_ie
    all the other versions of Windows I have (98 and XP Home) have came bundled with Packard Bell/Dell computers, and refuse to install on anything else.
    I bought Windows 2000 student license upgrade. At the time it was a box within which there was only a form - sent off and got CD back in the post. It worked perfectly - it just asked for my 'previous version of windows' CD during a fresh install, which it simply checks when you've put it in the drive (doesn't use files from it). It accepted my Gateway Windows98SE OEM CD without a problem.

Anyway, call M1cr0s0ft on their 450.... number (it's in the phonebook and ask for Direct Services, they should be able to help you out. Be prepared to give them a phone number (I was a bit surprised when they asked, but tis what they do).

It is what it's.

Originally posted by oneweb
    IAnyway, call M1cr0s0ft on their 450.... number (it's in the phonebook and ask for Direct Services, they should be able to help you out. Be prepared to give them a phone number (I was a bit surprised when they asked, but tis what they do).

So, should I ask them about transfering the licence from my Windows 98 machine to my new system and then upgrading, or just make something else up? It seems as though buying an OEM version would probably be cheaper than buying an upgrade version though... Will I be able to "swap" licences between machines with an OEM version, or will they refuse to install, like the Packard Bell and Dell OEMs I've already got?

You can't swap licences, any way I wouldn't bother asking about transferring. If you're gonna get software it's either gonna be a new license for the full version or a new license for the upgrade.

Try OverClockers.

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Terms and conditions apply,

you can move the retail version from PC to PC (move NOT copy) you can't downgrade it and AFAIK you can't dual boot unless you have seperate licences for both OS's (the latter bit from 98lite site)

you can't move the OEM version to another PC ever (you used to be able to upgrade - don't think you can get upgrades anymore) - you can upgrade it into a corporate volume licencing / software assurance program within the first 60 or 90 days or something

most PC's come with the OEM preinstalled - just try asking for a refund from dell/hp/compaq etc to get an idea of the freedom of choice microsoft give manufacturers (esp. when compared to the price of off the shelf OEM)

the unfortunate effect of M$'s stringent licencing conditions is the criminalisation of many home users.

you can't move the OEM version to another PC ever

So basically I'm going to be forced to buy an OEM version of XP Home/Pro (€100 - €200) for this system I'm building, and then another version in a year or two when I replace it. :rolleyes: Right now, a free Linux Distribution looks very attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I bought an OEM version of XP and I know for damn sure that I will be putting it on the next PC I build (having sold most of the components of the current one by then)

When I reinstalled XP recently after adding a new graphcis card it wouldn't activate over the net, so I had to call them on the phone. Not a single question asked by yer wan on the phone - just banged out the activation code. She sounded like she hates her job.

I bought an OEM version of XP and I know for damn sure that I will be putting it on the next PC I build (having sold most of the components of the current one by then)

Well, that's what I was hoping to be able to do with my Dell licence, but it refuses to work on anything but a Dell, so now I'm just going to buy an XP Home and see how it goes.

I've already had to ring Microsoft up a few times to get activation codes for XP or Office XP - everytime they just fire the code at you - the first time I rang I tried to explain why I needed it, they just cut across, asked for the code on the box and told me to write down the activation code. For once, I don't have to complain about call-centre service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OEM is bound to the HW so you can't legally install it on another PC whether it is a Dell or not.

but since no one knows which HW it is bound to (unless someone can find a link to M$ site to confirm otherwise) and resellers seem to be happy enought to ship with most types of HW I have a plan...

I'll pick one PC from the next batch that come and swap it's essential components to other PC's, one will get the mouse , one the fan , one the PSU, ram , cpu etc ...

That PC will be the only one with Office Pro OEM on it. (which will be uninstalled) Then we can setup a 2K terminal server to share one concurrent copy of office Pro. So when one of the PC's connect we can happily say that the office pro client license is still running on the HW it was supplied with..

I had a look at the Komplett site, and they say something about buying hardware "such as a motherboard, hard drive, etc" (or something along those lines - the site is down right now). But if you have a look at this site, they say they provide the necessary hardware for "free" - so it must only be something like a floppy disc cable or maybe a jumper or something tiny.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    no one knows which HW it is bound to (unless someone can find a link to M$ site to confirm otherwise) and resellers seem to be happy enought to ship with most types of HW....

Stephen - since M$ have not made it clear which piece of HW the OEM is bound to, I would not know if you couldn't install it to the bits you still have. But if there more then 3 change (+/-) to the HW you have to reactivate unless there was a PCMCIA card in the system in which case you get ~7 changes. So maybe install a PCMCIA controller before you swap components - reboot a few times to settle down and then remove the PCMCIA controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Already installed a new graphics card and some other bits - had to reactivate over the phone. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that's true about the activation. i lost my serial key to win xp home and rang up explaining that i had activated it before yada yada and could i please have another one. the operator didn't really care and just gave me a new one.

it didn't work so i rang back thinking i would get questioned about how i kept losing my keys and the replacements weren't working (a bit suspicious). again the operator didn't care and just gave me another, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

If you ask the technicians at your college they should be able to send you in the right direction, i remember getting an email last year with a few different companies on it that licence M$ software for student use. Can't find the email now tho! if i do i'll post it here

Farlz

I bought mine from Unity and Beyond 2000. It prolly helped that I knew the product code, but do try them anyway.

It is what it's.

Advertisement