Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Selects Head of Commission - Calm Yourselves Now!

Options
  • 29-06-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Yes almost without anyone noticing our new leader has been appointed for us. I would like to have had to oppotunity to cast a vote but never mind.

The new guy is a centre-right capitalist so I won't complain (the French are doing so already dispite the "welcome" by Chirac)

From BBC
    European leaders have named Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Durao Barroso as the next president of the European Commission, the union's executive.

The appointment was confirmed at a special summit in Brussels on Tuesday, after a tricky search for a replacement for Italian Romano Prodi.

A number of leading candidates have fallen by the wayside because different EU blocs found them unacceptable.

Mr Durao Barroso emerged as a compromise candidate.

He said he was "very happy and proud" to have been unanimously appointed by EU leaders.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair hailed the nomination, saying his Portuguese counterpart supported economic reform and strong ties with the US.

"He's the right man. He's an excellent candidate for the EU," Mr Blair told reporters after the summit.

The appointment was also welcomed by French President Jacques Chirac, who called Mr Durao Barroso "a competent man, a man of dialogue".

Earlier, Prime Minister Indulis Emsis of Latvia - one of 10 new EU members - said the new European Commission president would "be able to sustain good trans-Atlantic links, which is very important for us".

At an EU summit earlier this month, contrasting views between Germany and France on one side and Britain and Italy on another meant the 25 EU leaders failed to choose a new commission chief and had to postpone their decision.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Their gain is our loss, Berties still here :)

Wonder what this guys gonna be like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any recommendations for some non-partisan bumph about the guy?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

He's unpopular in Portugal afaik and unfortunately he doesn't seem to have the charisma that will be necessary to connect the EU with its citizens... I mean if the constitution won't do it, the president should make an effort...

I would have liked to see Pat Cox getting the post.. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Any recommendations for some non-partisan bumph about the guy?

adam

Ask Aunty http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3844973.stm

He is a bit of a technocrat, doctrinaire and self assured, lacking in charm, no world stage experience. Makes his mind up and goes for it, and f**k the begrudgers.

He will be either very good (in an efficient, low key, sort of way) or very very very bad (in a nothing to offer anybody and manages to p1ss everybody off sort of way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw part of his press conference and he was commedably non-"EU pen pusher" in his replies. He came across as straightforward in thought and speak.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by mike65
    I saw part of his press conference and he was commedably non-"EU pen pusher" in his replies. He came across as straightforward in thought and speak.

Mike.

I'll give him till January. Then you will see him as a technocrat.... The trouble is most Commission presidents are technocratic, academic and far too elite too connect with anyone other than Memberstate Heads.... Some one like Bob Geldof would make a far more superior candiadate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I am glad that they didn't choose another leftie. Hopefully Mr.Barroso will push through the liberalisation needed to make the EU a true single-market, where any electricity, gas, insurance etc. company can compete in any part of the EU they wish to. I also hope he will push for a single Eurozone cheque-clearing system so we can pay companies from other Eurozone states via a cheque in the post, and can use our chequebooks abroad. Despite what some people here have said about him being unpopular in Portugal, the point is that the centre-right (European Peoples' Party and the Liberal Group) won the European Parliament elections so it's only right that the President should be from the centre-right.

Advertisement