Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - eircom's exclusive Broadband Customer Magazine

Options
  • 29-06-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Did anybody else receive a copy of this claptrap in today's post. Complete waste of paper. I've sent the following e-mail...... to 'broadbandmagazine@eircom.ie' with a copy for information to 'philipnolan@eircom.ie'
    Attention: Ms Orla Duffy
    Broadband Programme Manager
    Eircom Limited

Dear Orla

I have just received the very first issue of the eircom broadband magazine. I have to say this is the finest proof I have seen of the old adage that "paper never refused ink". The magazine holds no value whatsoever for me. While I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness in delivering this bland drivel "free of charge" to my doorstep, frankly I regard the prospect of its arriving quarterly as nothing other than pure nuisance.

I would respectfully suggest that you desist from wasting your time and my money in producing this glossy rubbish, and put the not insubstantial savings towards a price reduction or performance improvement in your ridiculously overpriced and grossly inadequate service.

Failing you acceptance of the above constructive suggestion, would you please ensure that my name is removed from your circulation list immediately. Should you fail to do so I will treat this as a breach of the Data Protection Acts and pursue the matter accordingly.

Yours faithfully.

ps - if anybody goes to the eircom.ie website today they hav a popup survey - don't bother, it doesn't work - hangs on the last page; quelle surprise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yeah got this today also and certainly agree with those sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Add me to that list. I would have to call it more 'propoganda' than information though. 'Our music service is a great success'. 'A day when movies, music and multimedia can all be charged on one phone bill'. Oh eircom... you crazy fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by NoelRock
    'Our music service is a great success'. 'A day when movies, music and multimedia can all be charged on one phone bill'. Oh eircom... you crazy fools.

Oh yeah, that nice small cap will help them roll in the money when you're downloading their "movies, music and multimedia":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Heh, their music service is a big success, maybe they should tell their supplier, OD2 I think, since iTunes outsold OD2 and it's resellers by over 20:1 in it's first week. Though having said that iTunes music store isn't available over here yet so of course a monopoly is likely to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Did anybody else receive a copy of this claptrap in today's post. Complete waste of paper. I've sent the following e-mail...... to 'broadbandmagazine@eircom.ie' with a copy for information to 'philipnolan@eircom.ie

Wow. People will complain about ANYTHING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    This isn't the passive aggressive sarcasm board...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Yeah, I can't believe someone would complain to eircom about wasting money on sending out glossy magazines instead of perhaps, I dunno, spending it on fixing lines so people can get broadband. What an arsehole! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by De Rebel
    ps - if anybody goes to the eircom.ie website today they hav a popup survey - don't bother, it doesn't work - hangs on the last page; quelle surprise

Lots of stuff not working on it, including the Phone Book.

And what about that new font they have that's unreadable, webdesign at its crappiest!

Is there a perpetual wánker breeding machine in Eircom or just something that attracts them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I love Eircom bashing, well done on the e-mail, I hope more consumers follow your example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

If Tom Butler, who fabricates Comreg's Quarterly Reports, gets hold of the Eircom brochure, he might get some ideas!

Quote from the brochure: "Broadband gets results

Read how eircom can now offer 100 per cent nationwide broadband coverage...

While much of the country can be provided with broadband by means of the traditional telephone network, the limitations of the technology means that the telephone lines in some areas may not be suitable for upgrade to broadband.
    In order to make broadband available to 100% of the population eircom has announced new services which will see it delivered via satellite or new wireless technologies."

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Yes, they will, won't they......
    Your complaint is noted, etho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    If Tom Butler, who fabricates Comreg's Quarterly Reports, gets hold of the Eircom brochure, he might get some ideas!

Quote from the brochure: "Broadband gets results

Read how eircom can now offer 100 per cent nationwide broadband coverage...

Hang on. That's a blatant lie. How come my parents number is failing for dsl (after passing every single month since it was launched), yet all their neighbours pass? That doesn't sound like 100% to me.

Someone contact the advertising standards agency :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Can anyone get me a copy of this brochure??

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hang on. That's a blatant lie. How come my parents number is failing for dsl (after passing every single month since it was launched), yet all their neighbours pass? That doesn't sound like 100% to me.

Someone contact the advertising standards agency :-)
    I think the "100% coverage" speil refers to their satellite service, which essentially allows them to offer broadband to everyone.
    As we pointed out before though, the service requires a 36K-capable line for the upload, so it's not 100% coverage, given that many people can't even get this 36K.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by seamus
    I think the "100% coverage" speil refers to their satellite service, which essentially allows them to offer broadband to everyone.
    As we pointed out before though, the service requires a 36K-capable line for the upload, so it's not 100% coverage, given that many people can't even get this 36K.

Hang on a second - not even in Mongolia would 36Kb upload be considered broadband... - Oh that's right it's "Hi Speed" tm (has to be a tm cos it ain't a technical definition)

[edit] had thought it was "high speed" as drugs and the time dilation effects they cause that give you a rush and make you can think you can fly, when in reality you are still crawling around...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Hang on a second - not even in Mongolia would 36Kb upload be considered broadband... - Oh that's right it's "High Speed" tm (has to be a tm cos it ain't a technical definition)
    I think it's actually "Hi-Speed" - this makes sense when you think about it. It's like your ISDN is looking longingly at all that lovely broadband, waving forlornly and calling out "Hi, speed!"

I've already got me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I think it's actually "Hi-Speed" - this makes sense when you think about it. It's like your ISDN is looking longingly at all that lovely broadband, waving forlornly and calling out "Hi, speed!"

My isdn line has an gun to its head and demands me to stop downloading so much crap at the "High Speeds" 7.8K a second that i currently am downloading at.

tbh that new eircom magazine is an load of crap, makes for an good heat source tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    I think it's actually "Hi-Speed"
    It's actually Hi-Price, but they spelt price wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Has anyone who has incredibly poor dial-up speeds (<14.4k) attempted to sign up for the satellite "broadband"?. Do they try to fix up the line so that it can carry the necessary upload information?. It'd be great if someone like that got turned down, they'd have to change their campaign to "99.9999999% coverage" or "except for a few unlucky punters it'd be 100% coverage", or "100% minus a little bit coverage"

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

naww it would still be 100% coverage because if you cant get the one way system they would try sell you the two way which is 3 times as expensive and the lacency is twice as slow

So it should be 100% coverage, but at an cost

• Advertisement
Advertisement