Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regularity of the Irish justice system.

Options
  • 29-06-2004 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I remember a few months ago, I heard about a man who was caught with 8000€ worth of hash in galway and was convicted and jailed for 12 years.

But then a few days later another man was convicted in dublin for the same value of Heroin and got 8 years.

Then a few days ago, a member of the church got 3 years for sexual abuse of boys.

These 3 things are just from memory, but that said, they remain disturbing examples of severe irregularity in Irish justice and punishment.Now Im just hoping we got some legal experts around for this thread, because It sure would be nice to know what the hell is going on.

Also anyone know of better measures to tackle this then minimum and manditory sentencing, as Im a bit sceptical about political abuse of such measures.

And all this before we even mention the problems with litigation :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

While I completely agree with your points here I suppose it must be said that some of these people you mentioned might have a case history (only with regard to the kids). Regarding the clergy issue, well I am forever disgusted by it. They seem to be almost congratulated by the state for what they have been doing to innocent children.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

I've been thinking about posting something about the complete disregard for the integrity of Human beings souls. Pedofils sexually abusing children and getting away with it. Anyone over the age of 50 who is convicted gets a suspended sentence???

I congradulate the Drug dealer. He/She is promoting capitalism and supplying where there is no supply. Were as the pedofil is destroying lifes.

In one case, a friend of mine is living under the same roof as her step-father who systematically abused her when she was as young as 8 for several years. The Social welfare know, psychiatrists know and soon the Gardai. But guess what. Because her mother is unmarried and her step-father payed for the house if he gets put away and he sells the house there is toss all they can do. Unmarried couples can not get the house even if together for 15 years???

Evil bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have to agree.

The lack of consistency is one of the main issues with the Irish judicial system. In similar fashion to the higher profile examples listed above even small circuit/district court scentences vary hugely depending on who is sitting on the bench. A warning and moderate 'poor box' donation could quite quickly become a large fine and suspended scentence depending on who is judging.

I'm definitely not in favour of giving more control of the judiciary to the governement. The two organs should remain seperate. I think that a more comprehensive set of scentencing guidelines regularly reviewed by the judiciary with some independent/governmental input would be a positive step. This would of course need to be supplemented by an investment in penal measures as most of our jail time is currently governed by freeing up beds for new prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The prison issue is a simple one: have inmates build extensions to the prisons a la the chain gang system. They can learn a trade while they're in prison, genuinely repay their debt to society and come out of prison with a lower chance or re-offending (seeing as they now have a real chance at a decent earning career).

Advertisement