Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flip a coin

• 30-06-2004 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

What is the most common term used now when flipping a coin eg at the start of a football match etc. It used to be "heads or harps".
    Now what is it "harps or europe", "harp or map"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think it's always been "heads or tails"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    I think it's always been "heads or tails"

But on the Euro coin - which side is the "head"? The Map side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The head would be the side with the value of the coin on it....which would be the map side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Fozzy
    The head would be the side with the value of the coin on it....which would be the map side.

And what about the Euro coins that have an actual picture of a persons head on the other side to the value/map side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Bard
    And what about the Euro coins that have an actual picture of a persons head on the other side to the value/map side?

Curiouser and curiouser! We, being the only English speaking country with the euro at the moment, and not actually having a head of state on our coins, would be the only ones using that expression, would we not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think the expression head or tails ? , has more to do with front and back e.g. headlights , tailights than it does with there actually being a head on the thing .

map side =heads country's emblem =tails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AFAIK "heads or tails" is an Americanism.
    There is usually the head of a President on one side so this became the "head".
    I think "tails" was then just the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

head or harps that what I always used, bit pointless now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Badbonez

Originally posted by Hagar
    AFAIK "heads or tails" is an Americanism.
    There is usually the head of a President on one side so this became the "head".
    I think "tails" was then just the opposite.

Maybe from the quarter? The US quarter used to have a bust of George Washington on one side (heads) and the American Bald Eagle on the other (tails).

Nowdays there is still George but the flipside are the US states. Still, that's tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i always used the "heads or tails" expression. heads or harps just sounds wrong.
    forget the arguments about there being neither heards nor tails on euro coins, its not literal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well seeing as how Irish coins used to have animals on the back it could well have been - Harps or Tails ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    well seeing as how Irish coins used to have animals on the back it could well have been - Harps or Tails ..

Yep. But since they all had a head, 'heads or harps' is just as good. (Except for the pipes on the 2p piece... what was up with the 2p piece? 'Twas bigger than the 20p so it was...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

For just such an occasion I carry around a greek 2 euro coin. That way it's a choice between 'cock' (see sweden) and 'bull'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i just go with paper/scissors/rock!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I heard an argument about this before, basically it states:

Heads or tails is an english expression. Heads refers to the head on the monarch on the coin. Because we have the harp instead, the harp actually is our head. Therefore "Heads or Harps" is the same thing.

Not sure how true this is tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

I agree with you that the "head" of the euro coin is the variable national side, which for IE is the Harp. For other countries like BE and NL it is an actual head of a leader.

Advertisement