Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance Armstrong Book

Options
  • 30-06-2004 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the english version of LA Confidential: The Secrets of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh and Pierre Ballester.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't think it's been published yet - afaik they were publishing the French first (and in time for the TDF).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Part of that has to be how much more liberal the french libel rules are. Willy Voets book named riders in the french version, but could only allude to them in the english version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I heard David Walsh (co author) being interviewed by Matt Cooper yesterday. He said they approached 8 publishers in UK with a view to releasing the book in the UK/Ireland but after consultation with their legal people, all 8 publishers said they couldn't publish it. As uberwolf said, the french liable laws are more relaxed than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/news/articles/6395.0.html

Tour de France chief Jean-Marie Leblanc said Tuesday that he doubted claims in a recently-published book which alleges that five-time winner Lance Armstrong has been involved in doping.

"I'm skeptical," Leblanc told AFP of the book "La Confidential - The Secrets of Lance Armstrong" which alleges the 32-year-old American has used the banned blood booster EPO (erythropoietin) since his recovery from cancer in 1998.

The allegations caused such a storm that Armstrong's U.S. Postal team launched a futile attempt to have a note inserted on the book cover instructing readers of its supposed defamatory content.

But Leblanc admitted that the contents of the book had failed to convince him. "No, I'm skeptical, that's all," said Leblanc who put the Texan's success down to his own special brand of professionalism.

"He doesn't leave anything to chance. He's so professional, he works hard. It was Armstrong who first went out to preview the crucial stages on the race, which is something that his rivals are all now doing.

"He maybe isn't a more naturally talented rider than Jan Ullrich when it comes to power, if we compare them. But Armstrong has won five Tours through his mental strength, his temperament and his hard work."

Leblanc said however that he would not rule out the possibility of a police raid on this year's race which starts in Liege, Belgium on Saturday amid a storm of doping controversies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 debloujoe

Can I presume that this book has still not been published as an english version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

latest is that L.A is suing for 2,000,000. www.cyclingnews.com has that story. French libel laws are v. diff from britain and here, for example willy voets book could only alude to characters in the english version and simply named them outright in the french version. Which of course would explain the understandable reluctance to publish in english

Advertisement