Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back when leaving country - how does it work?

Options
  • 30-06-2004 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am in the final stages of relocating to the Netherlands.

How does claiming tax back if you leave forever work, and how much can you get back ?

Anyone any experiences ?

THX,
    DSAB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

when i moved to england last september I claimed my tax back for the rest of the tax year.

AFAIK:

So far this year you have paid X in tax, and gotten a monthly tax free allowance of Y per month.

If you go to the revenue and say you're not going to work for the rest of the year, they'll give you back:
    Z = (number of months remaining in year)*Y
    where Z<=X

You will need to fill out a form from the revenuers, and get a form from your last job saying you've left.

have a look at http://www.revenue.ie/
    Your best bet it just to ring your local tax office right now and talk to someone. They're quite professional and will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by giftgrub
    try www.taxback.com

DON'T use taxback.com! They'll charge you a load of commission for filling in ONE form!
    Go to revenue.ie and search for the relevent form, it's only one page long and you send that with your P45 to the revenue and they'll issue you with a cheque.

Advertisement