Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Confusion

Options
  • 30-06-2004 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Ever read a book and bout 100 or so pages in you discover the characters you pictured are completely different to the characters in the book..

Example:

Reading To Kill a Mocking Bird (Numerous requests from my little sister eventually got me to read the thing..)
    Only after about 80 pages have i realised that the kids (scout,jem) are actually white.. or am I wrong :)?

Anyway, too lazy to read back so I'll just read on, and no, i dont know how i didnt cop it either.

Anyway, just a ceist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Aye! Or even when you've imagined all the settings really clearly in your head and then you find out the house is supposed to be facing north or something and that really messes with your mental map of it. But it's kind of unavoidable in books I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

yeh i know, but something like a characters race. Imagine my shock when i realised the finch kids were white, not black. COMPLETELY new perspective.. and i still see them as black now heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

have to say i never encountered that before with "to kill a mockingbird" but i guess thats probably because doing it in school, the teachers tend to point out the fact that Atticus is a white man helping a black man.

question though.....what was it that made u think they were black?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

erm dunno really. For the first few days of reading, i was just doing a few pages a day cos i was watching tv etc. Famliys away so reading wasnt a priority. But then i decided that tv is crap and to read it. Got to the 86th page and started saying, hang on why is the little un calling black people by that name etc.

So guess its down to i was just touching and going for the first few pages, but im on the straight and narrow now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

never really happens to me with main characters ... might happen with minor ones that pop up every once in a while ... but only because I confuse them with other people ... and happens more with factual books then fictional ... but I'm just slow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

When I read it for the Junior three years ago i thought jem was a girl and scout was the boy! Didnt do too good in that english test, let me tell you!

Advertisement