Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom, A Tale Of Woe!

• 30-06-2004 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭

For the past six months I've been recieving at least one phone call every fornight from eircom offering me there new broadband service, I politely declined each time declaring that my surfing habits would not warrant the cost. But recently the eircom dialup service which I have been using since 1995 has been getting hard to connect to, sometimes taking 5-10 redials which was driving up my internet bill considerably. At the start of this month a brochure came through the door offering eircom's new offer of surf free for the summer, it sounded about right for me. I looked into the other companies offering broadband and the two other main contenders were IOL and Digiweb. Both I dismissed for seperate reasons, IOL because I have heard alot of negative things about them and Digiweb because they were relatively new.

So I decided to go ahead with Eircom.On the Wed 9th June I logged on to there site and pulled up the page where you can input your number to see if your line qualifies, to my surprise my line failed. This was surprising because the exchange is less than 50 yards from me. I then inputted my 2 nextdoor neighbours numbers which passed the line test. Well I was aware of the excuse "just because your neighbour can get it doesn't mean you can", so I tried my brothers number who
    lives 500 yards from me and he failed the test too. This was a surprise because he has been an eircom broadband customer for the past 13 months, obviously there database is inaccurate to the extreme. So the next step was to ring the sales line, the lady asked me for my phone number and her reply was this "I'm sorry sir your line does not qualify for this sevice, goodbye", I managed to get half a syllabil in before been greeted with the dial tone. Well my immediate reaction was to ask myself "Why were they ringing me every 2 weeks and sending me literature if I don't
    qualify?". So I rang back and blurted out my story as quickly as I could, the lady begrudgingly said she'd get an engineer to test the line, and that it would be the next day (maybe) before I got an answer.

Thur 10th June, no phone call so rang them back, engineer had done the test and my line passed, full steam ahead ordered broadband, recieved user name & password (eircom/broadband1) and was told it would be no more than 10 working days.

Fri 18th of June modem arrived in post, hands sweating with anticpation set it all up, DSL light on strong I had been activated. Inputted generic username & password I'd been given, could not connect details invalid. Rang tech support the gentleman told me "my username & password were not mapped to my phone number and to ring sales and they can do this immediatley". Rang my sales rep and to my horror was told that the account was approved but pending and will be activated on
    the 29th June and not a day before or a day after. Feeling very deflated I went back to the modem to tidy it away, I gave one more go at connecting about 20 minutes later, hang on I was connected, Excellent! Surfed hard all weekend and that monday, very impressive how could I have lived without it.

Tue 22nd, went to check mail, dsl light was off, did the usual test, factory reboot, etc. Light still off. Rang tech support was told that my account had been cancelled and an engineer had been sent out that day to disconnect me, due to an admin error, there advice was to ring sales immediately. Rang my sales rep, "well sir theres nothing here on your account that says its been cancelled, your setup date is the 29th June so I'd wait until then". I explained that I had already been connected and an engineer had been sent out to disconnect me and that it was an admin error, told wait until the 29th June but if not connected by then don't hesitate to ring
    her. So all that week I talked to everyone in eircom trying to get the problem resolved, I might as well have been playing a banjo down the line.

Mon 29th, supposed connection day according to eircom. Rang my sales rep got voice mail, left all my details asking her to ring me. 4 hours later no contact, rang the general sales line got passed around the house, finally got through to a gentleman who told me that the account had indeed been cancelled, he got in contact with my sales rep and assured me that she would be in contact before the close of business today with a full explanation and solution. No contact.

Today 30th June, my line is still down, my sales rep has gone underground and no one in eircom will help me. And just to prove irony is sill alive I've just received my post and in it was an eircom surf free for the summer brochure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Name and shame - who was the rep that you've had so much trouble with?
    *edit* And I'm sorry that you've had the unfortunate hassle of dealing with Eircom :( I'm more than happy with IOL, even if there were some hiccups along the way - and they were caused by eircom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Boggles
    For the past six months I've been recieving at least one phone call every fornight from eircom offering me there new broadband service, I politely declined each time declaring that my surfing habits would not warrant the cost. But recently the eircom dialup service which I have been using since 1995 has been getting hard to connect to, sometimes taking 5-10 redials which was driving up my internet bill considerably. At the start of this month a brochure came through the door offering eircom's new offer of surf free for the summer, it sounded about right for me. I looked into the other companies offering broadband and the two other main contenders were IOL and Digiweb. Both I dismissed for seperate reasons, IOL because I have heard alot of negative things about them and Digiweb because they were relatively new.

So I decided to go ahead with Eircom.On the Wed 9th June I logged on to there site and pulled up the page where you can input your number to see if your line qualifies, to my surprise my line failed. This was surprising because the exchange is less than 50 yards from me. I then inputted my 2 nextdoor neighbours numbers which passed the line test. Well I was aware of the excuse "just because your neighbour can get it doesn't mean you can", so I tried my brothers number who
    lives 500 yards from me and he failed the test too. This was a surprise because he has been an eircom broadband customer for the past 13 months, obviously there database is inaccurate to the extreme. So the next step was to ring the sales line, the lady asked me for my phone number and her reply was this "I'm sorry sir your line does not qualify for this sevice, goodbye", I managed to get half a syllabil in before been greeted with the dial tone. Well my immediate reaction was to ask myself "Why were they ringing me every 2 weeks and sending me literature if I don't
    qualify?". So I rang back and blurted out my story as quickly as I could, the lady begrudgingly said she'd get an engineer to test the line, and that it would be the next day (maybe) before I got an answer.

Thur 10th June, no phone call so rang them back, engineer had done the test and my line passed, full steam ahead ordered broadband, recieved user name & password (eircom/broadband1) and was told it would be no more than 10 working days.

Fri 18th of June modem arrived in post, hands sweating with anticpation set it all up, DSL light on strong I had been activated. Inputted generic username & password I'd been given, could not connect details invalid. Rang tech support the gentleman told me "my username & password were not mapped to my phone number and to ring sales and they can do this immediatley". Rang my sales rep and to my horror was told that the account was approved but pending and will be activated on
    the 29th June and not a day before or a day after. Feeling very deflated I went back to the modem to tidy it away, I gave one more go at connecting about 20 minutes later, hang on I was connected, Excellent! Surfed hard all weekend and that monday, very impressive how could I have lived without it.

Tue 22nd, went to check mail, dsl light was off, did the usual test, factory reboot, etc. Light still off. Rang tech support was told that my account had been cancelled and an engineer had been sent out that day to disconnect me, due to an admin error, there advice was to ring sales immediately. Rang my sales rep, "well sir theres nothing here on your account that says its been cancelled, your setup date is the 29th June so I'd wait until then". I explained that I had already been connected and an engineer had been sent out to disconnect me and that it was an admin error, told wait until the 29th June but if not connected by then don't hesitate to ring
    her. So all that week I talked to everyone in eircom trying to get the problem resolved, I might as well have been playing a banjo down the line.

Mon 29th, supposed connection day according to eircom. Rang my sales rep got voice mail, left all my details asking her to ring me. 4 hours later no contact, rang the general sales line got passed around the house, finally got through to a gentleman who told me that the account had indeed been cancelled, he got in contact with my sales rep and assured me that she would be in contact before the close of business today with a full explanation and solution. No contact.

Today 30th June, my line is still down, my sales rep has gone underground and no one in eircom will help me. And just to prove irony is sill alive I've just received my post and in it was an eircom surf free for the summer brochure.

The likelyhood of getting back to your sales rep is nil to be honest your best bet is to e-mail this guy whose the head honcho in eircom

phil.nolan@eircom.ie

hell pass it on to philomena lonergan wholl sort you out, might take awhile but youll live longer

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So I decided to go ahead with Eircom.

There's your problem right there!

Bloody hell Shinzon, don't quote the whole god damn post! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I looked into the other companies offering broadband and the two other main contenders were IOL and Digiweb. Both I dismissed for seperate reasons, IOL because I have heard alot of negative things about them and Digiweb because they were relatively new.
    You forgot UTV. The way their service is going they deserve to be dismissed on this thread. If/when I have a choice again I'd go with IOL, not €ircon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I would have to admit tho if i had the choice at home of eircom, iol, utv or ibb i would probably more inclined to go for Eircom (or netsource), reason being ive been here an while and if seeen alot of IOL, utv and other operator complaints about service or sales.

Granted eircom sales isnt the best or neither is the support but the service is top notch, 99% of the posts around here arnt acctuly about the eircom broadband service problems its about getting the service, you may say im licking up to eircom but i hate them as much as the other people around here.

Eircom definatly an good choise and word is from the wicklow business rep that eircom will be increasing the caps and might be launching an 1meg home service.

Just put the number this bb connection is running off "Sorry your line dose not qualify for broadband" get onto your local eircom sales rep they are an wealth of infromation.

*looks at ntl*
    *looks at watch*

not long to go :)

yeah yeah, a man can dream can't he! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by kin9pin
    You forgot UTV. The way their service is going they deserve to be dismissed on this thread.

What way is their service going? Apart from their outages around Easter, I've had rock-solid performance from UTV since I signed up last July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by tomk
    What way is their service going? Apart from their outages around Easter, I've had rock-solid performance from UTV since I signed up last July.

I take it you don't play any games online then .

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

definetly if anyone has a choice of the 3 GO With IOL.. I got the modem.. router etc within 2 weeks.. got online no prob and have only had one slight glitch.. from what I hear the other 2 ie eircom and utv are useless..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jonski
    I take it you don't play any games online then .

John

Correct. There are many uses for broadband - gaming is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

I've been really happy with Eircom Broadband since around may of this year, as the add says "it will change the way you look at the internet" and good golly gosh it has..... i love my broadband connection:D :D:D

P.S My standard ISP was iol but i decided to go with eircom broadband for some reason, but im happy i did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by tomk
    Correct. There are many uses for broadband - gaming is one of them.

I dont play games either but as a customer of UTV I am concerned at the way those who play games have been treated. From virtually day one pings have been an issue with Clicksilver - this has been brought to UTV's attention many times - and Jonski and other gamers have cooperated with UTV by giving them endless ping data in the support group - pings seemed to improve after the major 'glitch' some months ago but recently they have been at record highs - this has resulted in a high volume of posts to the UTV support group mostly ignored but recently UTV replied
    I've escalated these
    reports, yet again :-( , to our network team for investigation. So far they
    have been unable to come back to me with anything that I can pass on as to
    the cause (either internally or externally). I will post back as soon as I have anything

Now thats bad enough after all this time but bear in mind that those gamers reluctant to commit themselves for a further 12 months to UTV because of the type of attitude demonstrated towards them by UTV in the post above are 'stuck' on the old rate thereby paying more than many other broadband users whatever their isp.

There is also another issue which UTV do not appear to be addressing and that is 'the eight minute pause' one which has been reported both here and in the support group and appears to be affecting a small but increasing nmber of users. So even if you are not a gamer UTV's attitude towards their customers who are into games is worth watching.

jonski, dub - we're going OT here - I'll start another thread.

<edit>
    Go here.
    </edit>

Advertisement