Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT cuts broadband price

• 30-06-2004 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Our friends in the UK can now get Broadband for £16.99 a month with free modem and connection...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3852433.stm

BT Broadband Basic - £19.99 a month, with 1 GB download capacity
    BT Broadband - £24.99, 15GB
    BT Yahoo! Broadband - £26.99, 15GB
    BT Broadband 1Mb - £28.99, 30GB
    BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb - £29.99, 30GB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

The effects of decent regulation can been seen from the last paragraph of the article

"The company says that up until two years ago BT had 58% of broadband customers in the UK, but this has since fallen to 42%."

Now if we could get one it would help

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    BT Broadband 1Mb - £28.99, 30GB

sob :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye but they have just introduced CAPS!!!!, for those services, we don't want them!, the prices going down are good put the caps are a big no no:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

BT Broadband Basic - £19.99 a month, with 1 GB download capacity - €29.78
    BT Broadband - £24.99, 15GB - €37.23
    BT Yahoo! Broadband - £26.99, 15GB - €40.20
    BT Broadband 1Mb - £28.99, 30GB - €43.19
    BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb - £29.99, 30GB - €44.68

We have pretty much compareable pricing with the UK and some other european countries by now.
    Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Ye but they have just introduced CAPS!!!!, for those services, we don't want them!, the prices going down are good put the caps are a big no no:mad:

Like it or not, caps in some form or other are probably here to stay. The international trend is towards, not away from, limited introduction of caps on broadband connections. If you're looking for an uncontended connection to the internet (which is what you're moaning for) you have to be willing to stump up for the cost of it. If not, you use a cheaper contended connection like dsl or cable modem connections - along with the limitations that this entails. You can't have the proverbial cake and eat it.

A big no?
    BT £29.99 for 1MB/256K with 30GB cap against my
    UTV €45 for 512K/128K with 16GB cap

Hmmm, same price, but I know which one I'd take........if I could :(
    And I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't come anywhere near 30Gb downloads each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

I thought AOL in the UK were offering a package with no download limits for £29.99?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As almost every other ISP in the UK, is offering the same speeds, with NO Caps and lower prices then these new BT prices, it is expected that BT will continue to lose customers.

AOL has today siad that they will not Cap their products, as customers don't want caps and only start to get worried when caps are introduced.

I expect that BT will get massive bad press about the caps.
    Their competitiors will make a big deal about having no caps in ads, etc. and BT lose even more customers and then eventually reverse the decision.

Bad move by BT. It would have been better for them if they introduced a really cheap product with a Cap and left their other products alone. With Caps on all their products, they will almost definitely lose all their high end 1M customers, who normally care about things like caps and pings.

The fact that I and probably many more would bite BT's hand off if they offered that over here shows just how behind Ireland is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Moriarty
    BT Broadband 1Mb - £28.99, 30GB - €43.19

We have pretty much compareable pricing with the UK and some other european countries by now.
    In the land of the fairies we are compareable! Twice the cap twice the speed up AND down in every way that package is better then what I'm getting for €47 from IOL (it's €4 cheaper as well). You must take into account that BT is the €ircon of the UK - so their offers will be the worst of all the available offers; we can't even BUY 1Mbps consumer packages from our fixed line DSL providers! We are still - as always - behind the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Yeah, BT Openworld have introduced caps. But the section of the market they go for is the clueless noob who would otherwise get AOL. Only one or two other ISPs out of the 40 or 50 which exist actually have caps on their downloads.

A £16.99 service is grand for big Windows Update downloads every once in a while. Tha's about all you could do with a 1Gb monthly cap...

On the other hand, E7even.com have been doing an uncapped 512k service for ages now. £14+VAT a month if you pay for a full year up front.

Just goes to show a fool who doesn't do his research and his money are soon parted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement