Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Bowie Cancelled?

Options
  • 30-06-2004 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Just back from holidays and someone said Bowie isn't playing at Oxygen? Is this true?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

According to breakingnews he has, and entertainment.ie have taken him off their line-up

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/06/30/story154893.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

Don't blame him. Pinched nerves hurt like holy crap.

It's the White Stripes all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/index.php?id=20040630 - According to his official website he's cancelled.

I first looked up www.bowienet.com - quite a different subject altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes, he has cancelled all European dates over the next couple of weeks. They were hoping he would be OK for Oxegen but obviously not. The Darkness will now replace Bowie as the headliner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

I heard that The Frames have been drafted in as a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by bandit
    I heard that The Frames have been drafted in as a replacement.

Doubtful...but perhaps. Would be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Rumour has it Muse might be pulling out too. :(:(
    xm

Again, I wouldn't blame them.

It isn't every day your dad dies. He needs time to grieve. How & ever, it's only a rumous thus far.

They've already cancelled other dates, or so I'm told. :(
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Mcd lose a headline act,move one up and don`t replace them,pocketing the cash.

disgracefull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

Totally. was thinking the very same thing. Bowie cancels, the darkness are bumped up to headliner and MCD save themselves a nice wad of cash. what would it be, a couple hundred grand. not even an attempt to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by IanluvsKathleen
    not even an attempt to find a replacement.

How do you know? Its only been a day since he cancelled.

As for Muse...taken from offical site.
    Muse have cancelled their show in Bermgo, Italy on Wenesday (June 30th) with decisions on other shows pending.

They have 4 more shows before Oxegen, the first of which is tomorrow, so they'll have to make and announment fairly shortly.

Seems like the last few days haven't gone well for Mr Bowie . .
    Halfway through his third song at a Norwegian music festival, an object came flying out of the crowd and hit David Bowie in the eye.

It was a lollipop, probably sent as a message of adoration since Norwegians call the hard candy "love on a stick."

Bowie wasn't seriously injured at Friday's Norwegian Wood Festival in Oslo. He backed off the runway, hunched over, and was assisted by his set crew.

Within moments, he was facing the crowd of 7,500. Swearing at the unknown culprit, Bowie said he only had one good eye. The other eye had been damaged in a childhood fight.
    iMarieM_2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    How do you know? Its only been a day since he cancelled.

Because he officially cancelled it yesterday and it was announced also yesterday that the darkness were being bumped up to headliner. in my opinon is doesnt seem like they went to great lengths of find a replacement for him considering they were upping the darkness within a matter of mere hours after he cancelled. ..even if that. surely the process of finding, contacting and arranging a headline act would take a bit longer. ok so time is not on their side but for the budget that would have been allocated for bowie to headline im sure they could have come to some arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Just to add another possibility to the cancelation buzz the Libertines cannceled Glastonbury, T in the Park and a cvouple of other dates while Pete has been in/out of rehab, attending court and dissapearing......

seemingly according to nme they are going to go ahead without their main man....

as for mcd finding a replacement it looks like they didnt bother their arse. Im sure as a last gasp someone like the frames would jump at the chance of second on the bill if all else failed with international acts.
    same thing last year.:(

I hear that Pete isn't allowed back into the band 'til he sorts his sh*t out.

I hope to God Muse still play....:(
    In a way I was relieved to hear that Bowie cancelled 'cos that wasy I wouldn't have to choose between the two, but I'm still mighty pi*sed about it.
    But they can't pull out too!!!

Sg*t one about MCD pocketing that cash - it does make for a very likely case. :dunno:

xxx me

will play their remaining festival dates according to
    wwwnme.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Dont get me wrong when i say this,cause i quite like the frames, but i think they'd be a sorry replacement for bowie. Even perhaps, dare i say it, the darkness? While a more established band i think they're a little ubiquitous at the irish summer festivals, so maybe a change would be nice. I dunno. Theres no chance anyone bigger than the darkness is gonna fill in for bowie now, besides the short notice whoever it is is likely to ask why they werent asked before and tell em to p*ss off.
    Thats why im only going the saturday....thank god pink isn't headlining...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

it all seems a bit suspect to me.... hmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

I heard that The Frames have been drafted in as a replacement

hm... seems pretty unlikely, their touring in the US&eastern europe& the middle o' july'll be their first break in aaaaaaaaaaggggeeeesssss. and there's no word about it on their website, and it's always out on the msgboard weeks beofre it's announced... but it is witnness... and it is bowie.. and we love bowie...

would be pretty phucking amazing luck (sorry dave) seeing as im missing marlay...

(bring it on!)

have been added to t in the park but not oxegen !

farce.:(

Advertisement