Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Tyre Brand

Options
  • 30-06-2004 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

My two fronts are spinning at 50mph in the wet so it must soon be time to change them :) Was wondering what are peoples opinions on the various top brands available - Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. My present ones (Federals - previous owner put them on for me) are on their last legs after only 6000 miles. Maybe get another 1000 out of them if the weather stays dry. The tyres are 215/45R17 83Ws and i'm looking for ones that will do in the region of 15000 miles and be able to put 250ft/lbs of torque to the ground. I'm willing to spend 150 to 180 a piece for them. What should I buy?
    Tyre shops always tell you the brands they sell are the best...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I like Michelins and Continentals.

Pirellis don't last pissing time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Id definately go for Michelin, I get good wearing out of them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd vote Michelin for durability and smooth running.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Cerberus
    The tyres are 215/45R17 83Ws and i'm looking for ones that will do in the region of 15000 miles and be able to put 250ft/lbs of torque to the ground.

I like your torque figure I'm guessing its a TDI? Any way I find the Goodyear Eagle GDS3 F1's a great tyre and they handle my 250Ft/lbs no problems. I dont think your really going to be getting 15K out of them though plus they are rare on the ground these days. I've to get Pirellis Zero-Nero's as a result, I know they aint as good in the wet but in the dry they are meant to a bit better than the F1's. I had michelins on the car when I bought it and they where crap..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm a Yokohama man meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Had a set of Pirelli P-zero that lasted about 18K miles, I've switched to Goodyear Eagles which are holding up alot better, and better grip in the wet.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Had a set of Pirelli P-zero that lasted about 18K miles, I've switched to Goodyear Eagles which are holding up alot better, and better grip in the wet.

Ya the Eagle F1's are meant to be better in the wet alright but seemingly the P-zero's are slightly better in the dry... not that that matters in Ireland :P. I'm so sorry I can not get the Eagle F1's this time around but for some reason they are getting very hard to get thats not just in Ireland either :(. I will state that I have yet to see 18K out of any of the F1's I've had on my car(s) the max has been around 12K and thats with swapping them around, I've seen much less than that aswell but I can not say much seeing as they got killed up in mondello along with my fuel econ coming in at around 8MPG for the afternoon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Just a question kayos, wot u driving now?

and when these mondello days on?

cheers

Farlz

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by kayos
    I can not say much seeing as they got killed up in mondello along with my fuel econ coming in at around 8MPG for the afternoon :eek:

FFS, it is a track day. Were you hoping to be driving Miss Daisy??? Why on earth are you watching your fuel economy when you are pretty much red-lining the car?
    Originally posted by Farls
    http://mondello.ie/one.php?page=track_cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its impossible to get a tyre that grips and lasts long. To make it last long, it has to be harder, so one thing is sacrificed for another. Look at the threadwear number on the sidewall, should say 150, or 320, the lower the number the softer the tyre. Anything over 350 will last a while, 150 wont last at all. Not all tyres have this number though, cos its not required in EU, but it is in USA. So most tyres have them stamped on it. Dont forget...poor tracking/4 wheel alignment will destroy tyres in 1/3 the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

do your homework and read few reviews here

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Thanks Gmodified, that was a big help. Going from what you guys are saying and from the reviews on that site I think I'll try and git me some Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Originally posted by Farls
    Just a question kayos, wot u driving now?
    cheers
    Farlz

I drive a little Ibiza ;)...

@kbannon I was joking the fuel econ is displayed by the on-board computer so thats the only way I knew what it was. I was hardly going to go and calculate it myself now was I :p. I knew going up there that both fuel and tires where going to suffer and the chance my brembo's would need some looking at aswell be it pads/disc's. Any way after any trackday the car goes in for a oil change and a check up. They are an expensive hobby but great fun. As for the driving miss daisy comment on the public road yes, on the track not a hope :p.

Advertisement