Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB go slow

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hey Mutant,

I don't think its the same thing here. I am already on the VL gear, have been from day one. And usually my connection is fine. So its something that happened over the weekend. But not to everyone obviously - I assume u were fine Mutant? I'm going to set up a script to capture pings over the next week or so, this should help pin point whats happening.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Oh right, didn't know you were on the VL, it slipped my mind :p Anyway, i did notice some patchy times over the last week, but they didn't last more than a few minutes at a time, so i forgot about em til now. Basically i was getting random packetloss, but no high pings. Nothing that interrupted my service for more than 2 minutes, and it only has happened (that i noticed) 4 or 5 times over the last week.
    By the looks of it he just got a bit frustrated cause it appeared the information been supplied here and what was happening were 2 different matters
    Maybe your right, what i heard was that he left because people were constantly complaing about stuff to him and repeating the same questions etc, general bitching. And thats why he gave up and left. I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

it is a shame chaz is gone. it is always nice to see businesses communicate with there customers and he always provided useful info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got confused and thought u meant the guy that posted a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Phibs, I'm on 3Rock... but even with the VL there can be problems... may be you're part of an over crowded "sector". IBB had to change my VL gear once because they couldn't connect to it or monitor the quality of the signal...bla bla bla. At the time I had very irregular pings and/or downloads (including web pages), but it wasn't due to the equipment itself they said. The guys said I was on a busy "sector"... or something like that. So after changing the hardware they changed my "sector" assignement and thing went smooth again.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting - Im having another nightmare night tonite - ive been trying for two hours solid to post a reply to this thread :( I just managed to get into Hotmail after hours of trying so heres hoping...

C

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

must have been well worth trying for 2 hours to post that reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Lads,

why do you put up with IBB? They have being having the same problems since early this year and don't seem any nearer to solving them.

I went through all the same crap, slow download speeds, bad pings, calling/emailing tech support with not joy, resetting radios, downloading file after file from ftp site to test speed, IBB blaming contention....

So I wrote a letter to IBB complaining (letters always get a better response, I believe emailing is a complete waste of time if you are complaining). Got a reply from Jeremy Nel (Executive Director) and spoke to him several times on the phone. He tried to resolve the problem but in the end he conceeded that they could not fix it. After some "negotating" he agreed to cancel my contract and refund me for 3 months.

I switched to IOL and it's great (the way IBB was for the first month I was with them), downloads always 50KB/s plus, fast pings and no downtime.

When IBB works... it rocks !!!

Except that glitch last sunday... my download speed is very very good for more than a week. I'm a happy camper.

Reasons I put up with IBB:

1. unlimited download , like anywhere else in Europe ! They are the only one to offer it at a decent price.

2. avoid Eircom , if IBB wasn't around I'd go with NTL (if possible) as any other ADSL ISP has to use Eircom's lines.

I think IBB works fine for most users. They've had and still have problems but they're being resolved (slowly)... their support process has improved, their network performance has also improved. Many people have issues (including me once in a while) but the 3.5ghz should fix this. It's always the unhappy minority making most of the noise.

1. unlimited download , like anywhere else in Europe ! They are the only one to offer it at a decent price.

Even if IBB imposed limits, I would never have reached them as my connection was so bad! My IOL is cheaper than IBB.
    2. avoid Eircom , if IBB wasn't around I'd go with NTL (if possible) as any other ADSL ISP has to use Eircom's lines.

I hate €ircon also, but I won't bite off my nose to spite my face. I'd rather pay for a reliable service with €ircon/IOL/UTV than put up with IBB's amateur operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

/me still oaccasionally reads these threads.
    Im just suprised that no one has put 1+1 together yet. Really surprised.
    :D

Moonbeam - thanks for the contribution! I had various long replies written that reflected my situation during those hours - as none of these got through, my replies became terser til you got my final one basically saying here goes nothing :) I subsequently tried a more comprehensive reply but guess what - it wouldn't post :( All your replies seem to suggest incredulity that IBB would have any problems - do you work for them by any chance? I take that back - I have a feeling that if you did work for them you would have a fairly realistic view of the problems they face ;)

uteotw - I agree with you - in general I am an IBB fan - they were available to me when I failing dsl (passing now but hey), they are uncapped, they are free from eircom and so far the support has at least been knowledgeable - I am not dealing with first level biddies ala eircom. But obviously when it doesn't work its very frustrating - and it ain't working at the minute :) As for helter, if you read back through his woes you'll see it never really worked for him and IBB should have cut their losses there sooner. It has worked for me and I want it back not out of my contract.

Chas - That intriguing! I followed some of your history and basically you are down in cork now and also got pissed off with some of the trolls going after you. But what one plus one do we need to add to get two? Do give me a hint!

To update, my connection this morning still wasn't great. I have emailed support a graph showing my pings to gateway/dns/various websites over the last 12 hours or so. They are monitoring my connection... Could someone else use pinggraph to monitor dns and gateway and let me know what it looks like? pinggraph is free for monitoring two addresses, http://www.xmission.com/~infix/pinggraph/pinggraph.htm. Don't do more frequent than 5 minutes tho or we'll look like a DoS attack :)

Cheers,
    C

Originally posted by Phibsboro
    As for helter, if you read back through his woes you'll see it never really worked for him and IBB should have cut their losses there sooner. It has worked for me and I want it back not out of my contract.

I got IBB in July (I think) of last year and it was fine for 2 or 3months, I was very happy with it.

My bad - i take that back so. I was under the impression it had never worked for you. Oh dear....

C

I have a 1mb vl connection off three rock and rarely have problems

I have been full time in Cork since beginning Feb. I know what goes on in the company to a certain extent, but I do not have the day to day movements on Dublin network planning and issues.
    So, from my side, I cannot offer much help as Im not involved day to day anymore.

One thing I promise, 1+1 = 2.

Hey Chaz,

I went to post a PM to you asking for more when I had a sudden insight into what 1+1=2 is and was bathed in a (weakish) light of knowledge. Oh god! I hope Im wrong - if what I think is correct then it looks a bit silly from IBB's point of view! And I'm at a loss to square the after hours interest in anatomy and physiology...

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 madden

I got 2mbit and I'm very happy with the speeds games are pretty good too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if what I think is correct then it looks a bit silly from IBB's point of view!
    Enlighten us, we're not all that intelligent, i can't figure out a good meaning from the 1+1=2 thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Chaz,

Are the problems recently due to the much promised upgrade to the 3.5 gear? Has it been tried out? Whats the performance like?

• Advertisement

Kevok, I dont know. I am not in Dublin, so have not got touch of the day to day runnings. I know theres roll outs etc, time base, not sure.

Im saying nothing, wouldn't be fair :(

Another bad day connection wise and once again tonight I am having trouble posting this and cannot get onto hotmail. Most, most annoying.

I am comtinuing to gather ping data - if someone else could do it for a few hours and post the graph it would be useful - see my earlier post for the app. I am setting the app up on an eircom dsl connection tomorrow for a comparision.

Heres hoping this goes thru...

C

Hey,

Just to finish this thread off, the problem has been resolved. I gathered ping data for over the last day or so and fed my comments thru to support. They changed some things and now I have beautiful steady low pings to gateway and my connection is back feeling the way it did.

So well done IBB support and if anyone out there is having similar probs with their isp (not just IBB or even wireless) I would defo say pinggraph is your friend!

Cheers,
    C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

We use IBB in work, 1/2 meg line to building with approx. 15 users max in D4. We've had problems for the last few months with the connection going from average to unusable, even at 19.30 when the building's empty.

It's interesting what you say re: hotmail, nobody's been able to login to it or msn for about a week now :confused:

Phibs, I'm glad you got it sorted.

Cheeky, I guess you're gonna have to monitor your pings.

Chaz, I'm not sure to understand your 1+1 remark... what are you refering to ?

Nevermind 1+1 - just a personal joke among some. Dont get hung up about it.

Advertisement