Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor network

Options
  • 30-06-2004 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

hey guys/gals

am an O2 customer at the moment but am considering moving to Meteor.
    why?

1) i have a Nokia 6510 (this one is a two month old replacement) and its giving me crap. (losing coverage without warning, freezing when i get a text etc) and want to move from bill to pay as you go. Meteor are by far the cheapest option to get a new handset.

2) Meteor prices are way cheaper than O2 and vodafone.

So , whats the catch? is meteor coverage still the pits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no its fine.. its about 90% or so maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

its utter **** outside of the cities. They may claim to have 90% coverage but that's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Yes they are lying to the masses, They only have 10% coverage and no one has noticed :rolleyes:

I'm with meteor and its great, far better than O2 which I switch from. Been all around Leinster and its pretty much perfect! So go ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what's it like in bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

I think its 90% POPULATION coverage they have. I used to be with them and never once had any hassle with them.

Changed back to 02 recently and I'm starting to lose patients with all the crap with sms - network busy - no network etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Stephen
    its utter **** outside of the cities. They may claim to have 90% coverage but that's wishful thinking.
    I take it you HAVE a meteor phone right now and experience this problem? :D

Anyway its fine outside of Cities as a recent trip to Galway and also near Tullamore proves. Meteor are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Mutz,

Your correct, it is only 90% population coverage, but Voda and O2 are only 95% coverage (area wise)

Its all marketing, check out their maps there is no coverage on mountain areas. Would be nice but they probably can't get planning permission on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

haven't had any trouble with a Meteor connection when I've been using it around Dublin, a good mate ported over to them and he goes between Dub / Galway a lot and finds it grand...

although if you carry a garden gnome around with you, you may get a better signal in some remote locations...

... or maybe i'm reading too deeply into the current advertising campaign :D

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    Mutz,

Your correct, it is only 90% population coverage, but Voda and O2 are only 95% coverage (area wise)

They have 90% population coverage, but the quality of that coverage is certainly questionable. Vodafone and O2 have 99% population coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Besides from coverage, I think they're a good network. Thinking of porting over to a bill pay option when I can get around to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    They have 90% population coverage, but the quality of that coverage is certainly questionable. Vodafone and O2 have 99% population coverage.

Last year a friend of mine got sick of network busy messages and moved to vodafone. This was him calling his wife(also Meteor) in town from approx the nass road M50 area. I have heard similar stories from other people.

I moved from 02 to vodafone 4 years ago because of network congestion. If you want reliability, vodafone are the business.

i've been on meteor two days now with my lovely 6600 and i havn't noticed an iota of difference in coverage in and around the bray/greystones area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver

I moved from 02 to vodafone 4 years ago because of network congestion. If you want reliability, vodafone are the business.

Strange, when I was with Vodafone over two years ago I found their network to be crap, moved to o2, never had a problem since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by DubWireless
    although if you carry a garden gnome around with you, you may get a better signal in some remote locations...

... or maybe i'm reading too deeply into the current advertising campaign :D

BrianG
    Must be a portable mast inside the gnome. No wonder the aul fella is so pissed off, those things are worth a fortune :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

i have a few mates in dublin on meteor and they say its pretty good

that is until they visit me up here in donegal... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Saruman
    I take it you HAVE a meteor phone right now and experience this problem? :D

Anyway its fine outside of Cities as a recent trip to Galway and also near Tullamore proves. Meteor are fine.

I HAD one until recently and did experience that problem, smartass. Try them around the south east, its ****. If I'm in Kilkenny city centre, its grand. If I go back to my house 3 miles away its utter ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Coverage is getting better nationwide, but I still can't get a signal in most pubs in Baggot st - which is mad!

Apart from that they kick all the other operators' asses on price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i've been on meteor two days now with my lovely 6600 and i havn't noticed an iota of difference in coverage in and around the bray/greystones area.

cool nice to know i live in kilcoole/Greystones area might get a sim

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    cool nice to know i live in kilcoole/Greystones area might get a sim

should work as they are fairly built up areas, well greystones is :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

as I have to leave Dublin every now and again (yes, some people need to!!! ) Meteor is of no use.

so i cancelled my bill a/c and got a speakeasy sim on thursday...

• Advertisement
Advertisement