Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month trial not available to people already using b-band???

• 30-06-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi and apologies if this has already been covered.

I’m current with eircon on the business plus plan and was thinking about switching to ESAT b-band plus. I rang them and they told me that I won’t be eligible for the 3 months free as this was kept for new costumers. I outlined that I would be a new customer with ESAT but they said that the idea of the free months was a subsidised plan to get more NEW people using broadband. Basically, it didn’t matter who I was with or who I was going to I won’t be eligible for the free months as I already had B-band.

See this true? Is the free months like the first time house buyers system and if your already in you can’t win? Seem a little unfair to me that the people who started using the B-band way back when, the very people that telecoms use to show the up take of b-band and their projected success penalise us when is come to a few month free .

Finally, if I do move what do I need to tell Eircom? Has anyone been through the eircom-Esat switch?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by paulj13
    See this true? Is the free months like the first time house buyers system and if your already in you can’t win? Seem a little unfair to me that the people who started using the B-band way back when, the very people that telecoms use to show the up take of b-band and their projected success penalise us when is come to a few month free .
    It was well covered when the offers were first launched.

Eircom Wholesale are providing a €120 rebate to their customers (eircom, IOL, UTV, etc) 90 days after any new account is activated, between now and the end of November. This rebate is explicitly restricted to lines that have never had broadband before. Each provider is free to "spend" the rebate any way they like, and, in theory, they could use it to discount existing users, but if IOL or UTV to give you 3 free months, it will be coming directly out of their pockets, because Eircom Wholesale won't be giving them a rebate, and they'll still have to pay Eircom Wholesale for the 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its free for a first time connection on a given landline, if you have another line you could avail of the offer on it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Thanks all for the quick reply. Felt it best to check before I make the switch. However do you have any opinion on the move?

Is the move from Eircom business Plus (€89 a month and 12gb download limit) to IOL's broadband plus (€47 a month and 16 gb download limit) worth it? Are there other factors that I should be taking into consideration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

as the iol and eircom ads point out

It is for first time Broadband users, i.e people who dont have broadband and who have never had it.

Which means people that have DSL with Company cannot avail of this with another company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by paulj13
    Is the move from Eircom business Plus (€89 a month and 12gb download limit) to IOL's broadband plus (€47 a month and 16 gb download limit) worth it? Are there other factors that I should be taking into consideration?
    Eircom Business Plus is a 1Mbps/256kbps service, whereas the IOL Broadband Plus service is a 512kbps/128kbps service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement