Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW question

Options
  • 30-06-2004 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Ok Question time :D

Im thinking of buyng a 1.4L VW boro

Has anyone any opinions regarding reliabily, or maintainence issues??

Thanks,

king

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sound car, but save yourself €4 grand and get an Octavia instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

The main VW dealer in Cork, is shockingly bad. Got my vw polo there and nothing but problems since
    they never put back two screws and a main bolt after a service (i found them in the ash tray).

The have no customer care to speak of. I dont know if that's just the cork branch but
    all the main VW dealers in Ireland are owned by the same group MSL. They'll also charge you a fortune for doing nothing, if you go ahead with buying it, I wouldn't get it serviced by a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

what unkel said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

get a 1.6 litre if at all possible

Originally posted by iggy
    get a 1.6 litre if at all possible

Well that depends on what you want in a car.

If I were to spend my own money and I'd have to buy a new car for around the €25k mark, I'd go RS :)

The 1.4 is not fast but not everybody requires that. A 0-60 time of about 15 seconds is more than quick enough to move with the traffic and top speed of 106mph is more than most people will ever want

The 1.4 is solid and extremely good value for money. Make sure you get the Ambiente, not the Classic (that nobody buys anyway)

I've been presuming you are buying new - in that case the new model is coming out soon, so either bargain hard on the outgoing model or wait for the new one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks for the advice guys,

But my one worry about the VW is that a friend of mine (a mechanic) said that the VW petrol engines can cause a lot of problems.??

What do ye think?

btw its a 01 model

Originally posted by king_of_inismac
    (a mechanic) said that the VW petrol engines can cause a lot of problems.??

Nah the 1.4 petrol is sound (used in VW polo. VW golf, VW bora, Seat leon, Seat ibiza, Skoda octavia, Skoda fabia and Audi A2)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by king_of_inismac
    But my one worry about the VW is that a friend of mine (a mechanic) said that the VW petrol engines can cause a lot of problems.??
    I've heard someone say that every type of car is prone to problems at some stage :rolleyes: FWIW I have a '00 1.4 Golf and haven't had any problems with it, although I've only had it 6 months.

Advertisement