Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging Foreign Cheques

Options
  • 30-06-2004 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to the states in two days time and I plan on saving some money, spent it all on drink last year. Thinking about sending home a cheque or two home and getting my parents to lodge it in to my bank account.

Is it possible to lodge a foreign cheque.

I can get it cashed while i am there and send cash back home, but that is something i really don't want to do. Not the safest option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm going to the states in two days time and I plan on saving some money, spent it all on drink last year. Thinking about sending home a cheque or two home and getting my parents to lodge it in to my bank account.

Is it possible to lodge a foreign cheque.

I can get it cashed while i am there and send cash back home, but that is something i really don't want to do. Not the safest option.

I send cheques back to Ireland regularily, but unfortunately my mother has to lodge them into her bank (TSB), then put the cash into mine (AIB). The reason being is that AIB wouldn't cash cheques for a non-customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have cashed several US $ cheques in the local branch of my own bank.

But as BuffyBot states, they usually have to be made out to, and lodged by, a customer of the bank.

Have you considered electronic transfer directly into your own account? I don't know how the whole process works, but it may be an alternative worth exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    I send cheques back to Ireland regularily, but unfortunately my mother has to lodge them into her bank (TSB), then put the cash into mine (AIB). The reason being is that AIB wouldn't cash cheques for a non-customer.

That's strange, I frequently lodge US$ and STG£ cheques to my AIB account with the quick lodge - I don't see why this guys mother can't just do this instead of having to lodge it to her bank first?!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That sounds mad.

Mother walks into your branch, fills out express lodgement slip, puts it in envelope, puts in box. They then have no choice but to lodge it.

Of course, the whole issue is that AIB thinks the cheque is being cashed - it isn't, it's being lodged. And also your mother isn't taking money from your account.

Doing it by cheque sounds like a haphazard and expensive way to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Cheers guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement