Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Cooling

Options
  • 30-06-2004 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 hard drives. 2 are in a RAID 0 array so I cant monitor them:( But the third is at 37'C

I have a spacing between all the drives but the top one (raid) drive has the floppy drive right on top of it. The lower two drives have92mm fan blowing across them and they are cool. The one under the floppy doesnt.

What should I do to get these temps lower.

The drive I can monitor is at 37'C, the raid array is hotter. It doesnt feel like 37'C though.

I have a external probe, where should I place it to get an accurate reading from each hard drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Dempsey
    I have a external probe, where should I place it to get an accurate reading from each hard drive
    The side I believe is the hottest part on a HDD, it may give you the best readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If thats the case then offler, mbm is saying 37 and my probe is saying 28 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Are you afraid your Hard Drives will be damaged at those temps? They don't seem too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Think its over 45' Degrees that you might want to start worrying. The temp reading on the Hard disk is internal so the outside temp will be a little cooler.

Looks fine TBH. Think even at 55' Most drives will still last a pretty long time (35-45' being a nice temp).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

what type of case u got, it depends on the fan mountings too, for example i have a cheiftec dragon case, so i put 2 fans in the front for the intake and then put the hds right behind them too keep em nice and cool , yup nice it looks in the case too, wait a minute whys their smoke coming outta there............ill have to get back to u.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Those temps were read with the side panel off and consider that my single raptor was running at 25-32 before I made these changes, they did alarm me because the there is a intake fan in front of that drive.

I put the 200Gb under the floppy drive and the tow raided drives are now in front of the fan with gaps all round them. The 200Gb is running at 35-36 now

All temps according to MBM 5

Now my probem is that temps go up 5-6'C when the side panel is on. I have a 80mm Vantec but I've nowhere to mount it but Id like to put it somewhere, any ideas on that one. I have the cables tied back best I can but the 3 drives i suppose are keeping up the ambient temps up to 30-35'C

I know the temps aren't accurate cos of the probe but they can be lowered if i can get the airflow right.

Advertisement