Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gmail, what do you think?

• 30-06-2004 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

The fact that i am typing this means i surrender to my nerdiness...but it had to be done.

Ok so far I like that:
    1. Its fast, i mean google fast. Once you click "dont ask me my password for 2 weeks" all you gotta do is open the page and your mail is up faster than...outlook.

2. the storage, well obviously, even yahoo and hotmail are jumping on the bandwagon.

3. what ads? haven't even noticed them, as unobtrusive as anything by google.

4. When minimized, if you have mail unread, you see "gmail - Inbox (1) ..."

5. sent mail is stored, come on, we needed that!

6. contacts, very easy, fast and light.

anyone have any others to add?

I think the google boys are pure genious, this is a well thought out product. I personally never would have used this service if it had been advertised and promoted - the fact i had to be invited made be look closer. Now im thinking of turning off all the other accounts and just using it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Its amazing....Its just...wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

7. you can very quickly assign a label to emails tomake it easier to find later when searching.

8. no need to refresh, just keep webpage open and presto mail arrives

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

it is a great service, totally agree with all the points, but I do have an issue or two with it.. i dont like the way it automatically saves the addresses you send to in your contacts, and I dont like the way you cant just tick all the boxes and add them to a mass mail (I do love the auto complete tho, very handy)

would also like to see gmail as an icon on my google bar, but I'm sure that will happen once it goes public (or 'alpha' :D)

only check my old address now to see if theres any mail from people who dont have my new addy, pretty soon, yahoo will be redundant.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

It's great, I agree with all the points you've mentioned. I just can't download attachments which is bent and google haven't replied to my numerous emails about it yet :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Flogen, there is a program that is working wonders for me, while its not necessarily for the google bar it does work for Mozilla and variations and is in the toolbar. Gmail Notifier is its name and there is the link. Explains it more there.

For those not using Mozilla/Firefox (shame on you!) there is a program called GTray that stays down in your system tray and checks your gmail periodically and alerts you when you have new mail. Get your GTray here

I deserve a medal for these information bulletins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

How do I setup a Gmail account?

I went to the website and there's no option for actually registering and opening an account... :(

I wanna get in there quickly so that I can have my first choice email address!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Alas one has to be invited to get an account. There is a thread somewhere on boards for such a thing. You put your name on a list and hopefully you get an invite off another user.

cheers for the links d-generate.

giles, I'm feeling charitable, PM me with your email addy and full name (1st and 2nd), and I'll hook ye up...:D

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

How long does it take before you get your invites to hand out- anybody know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I think Gmail is great, I don't think I will use it for communication but mainly for storing files.... just a question, did anyone see a "save as draft" option? I can't find any, and it would be very useful for my case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I was just going to ask the same question, how do you save as draft?

There's nothing on the help about it, any ideas

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Mac daddy
    How long does it take before you get your invites to hand out- anybody know :)
    i've had my account for 10 days now without a sign of any invites... don't hold your breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Gmail has just become a lot cooler for me now that I've installed this extension for Firefox:

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=127&vid=198

It allows a right click on mailto addresses that opens the Gmail compose page with the address filled in for you. Fierce Handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Just got mine, looks great but doesn't work with Opera yet so I have to use IE to access it.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'v had Gmail for nearly 2 weeks now. It took about 5 days before I got my first invite. Since then I'v had about 11 invites. I think the more you use it, the more invites you get.

Btw, it's I really like it for all the reasons that have been pointed out above. I think it's been a sucess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Very impressive, but here are some possible improvements:

support for importing address book from existing applications Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird etc..

The ability to upload an entire existing mailbox to your gmail account. There are tools available for this, but it should be included in your gmail acocunt.

As mentioned above support for saving Drafts.

Should have the option to save a composed mail, for sending later.

Mails can be filtered using labels, which very useful for mailing lists, but there should be an option to have mails that are filtered not appear in your Inbox but only under the label.

There is no option to switch replies from top-posting to bottom-posting (which is the recommended way of replying to email)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Some thing for nothing is always good, but g-mail for nothing is brilliant!
    Pity it can't be used in outlook express, i would probly pay for it then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

These people don't share your enthusiasm for gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah those guys were bought up in another post! I stick by my word, whacko's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I think it's great! i really do, aside from the fact that i can't sign in tonight, i keep getting 'this page cannot be displayed' in the sign in box, everything else is showing up, bar the sign in area. Was fine up until tonight.
    Ah will probably be ok tomorrow.
    Either way, i think that it's a success, but a 'save a draft' would be really helpful.

thanks again acous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can you read your GMail from a client program, or do you have to use the web interface? I'd rather be able to get to it through Thunderbird if I could...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Have to agree with previous posters - its great but with some minor adjustments could be so much better. Save as draft is needed, but what really annoys me is the contacts list. AutoComplete is great but adding the functionality to allow to click a load of contacts and send them mail would be so much better than having to use autocomplete for each name. I also dont like the way it saves the email address of who you send emails to is they are not in your contact list.

On a related issue - has anybody donwloaded and used GTray? I was reading reviews on some site that seemed to suggest it was a bit buggy? Anyone having issues? Is it worth downloading?

agree totally dec.

got gtray, and stop using after a very short time.... wasnt all that bad, but I was having trouble accessing gmail after i started using it, and stopped just incase it was causing it. may have been coincidence, but the problem stopped since then. I'd much prefer to just have a window open...

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

One thing that's quite annoying, is that they haven't sorted out sending email to multiple addresses (e.g. selecting from a list). Also there are no options for the creation of groups..... I've just been reading about it in the help section. It says they're still working on it :rolleyes:

Other than that, it's fantastic...especially the 'auto-complete' on email addresses

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Gmail rocks! Been using it for quite some time. It's almost like a messaging system if your mates are also using gmail.

I guess it is annoying the way you can't send group mails all too easily. But at the same time I hate sending those types of mails. I've only ever sent one (to my recollection) which was to tell all my mates that I was using a new e-mail (or should I say 'g-mail') account.

Final word (from me): The g-mail system is superb. Sure it needs a few tweaks but it is only a beta.

[edit] Erm... Another final word... :rolleyes: I'm only on 3% and I've had friends send me rake loads of photos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by doodle_sketch
    Can you read your GMail from a client program, or do you have to use the web interface? I'd rather be able to get to it through Thunderbird if I could...

Pop goes the GMail -> http://jaybe.org/info.htm

With that, and the gmail mailto extension for firefox it is pretty sweet.

The downside? The attachment limit. If your attachment is 6MB-10MB (depending on ISP) your mail won't arrive. My cousin couldn't send me his project to review and that was tiny. He was using hotmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

For me the best thing is that i fanally have a decent address with no number in it cos some other 50 twats have it also. I have a feeling that when it goes public it will be very very popular. I love the way it stores my mail together with replies in easy to read folders, i love the way i can label everything etc. etc

It's just the best thing since sliced bread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by doodle_sketch

Why?

I mean if you want POP3 access to gmail then you lose all the benefits that it offers, namely, Google searching of all your mail, 1GB of online storage, the ability to access your mail from anywhere[/]..

As for IMAP access to gmail, I can only imagine how rediculiously slow that would be, not anywhere near as fast as the web interface..

I prefer reading my mail by POP through Thunderbird for my regular long-standing email address (especially for mailing lists), but gmail is an entirely different beast...

just my €.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

on the invites,
    my friend has one now for over ten days and hasnt got the facility to invite :-(
    anyone know the actual time frame or whatever, needs to be breached before you can start handing them out..

i dont wat to be xXXXX5050@gmail.com////

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by adonis
    on the invites,
    my friend has one now for over ten days and hasnt got the facility to invite :-(
    anyone know the actual time frame or whatever, needs to be breached before you can start handing them out..

Invites have trickled out (6 a day every second day for about a week down to zero in 2 weeks). Most likely a sign that they are going public real soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Has anyone heard of or used this service: http://www.walla.com (1 GB space)
    It's the battle of the 1GB email accounts has begun... I signed up with one of these too... 1 flashy banner ad at the top, but otherwise, a nice bit of space for email and no popups...

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Haven't tried using it yet. Is it truely impossible to delete mails? That'd put me off on it's own, as well as all the other privacy issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Trojan
    Haven't tried using it yet. Is it truely impossible to delete mails? That'd put me off on it's own, as well as all the other privacy issues.

It is easy to delete mails. You send them to trash, then go to trash and select "Delete forever".

There are no privacy issues beyond any other webmail service (eg. Hotmail).

Advertisement