Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible cooling solution

Options
  • 30-06-2004 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I know these questions are asked A LOT but I'd appreciate a nod in the right direction.

My computer is overheating badly so I'm buying a new case and PSU and fans etc.

I have an athlonXP 2800 with 3x512 of RAM and a 128MB 9800 graphics card.

I was thinking of getting:

Case:Antec SLK3700BQE
    (a lot of people here recommend the Antec Sonata. Is this a better option?)

Extra Case fan: Vantec SF12025L Stealth 120mm fan

and

for the graphics card: Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer

Will this do what I need?
    I don't mind spending a bit of money because the computer is essential for my job.

Keeping the temperature down is the important thing but I would obviously like to keep the noise down as much as possible.

Your probably sick and tired of the same questions again and agan, but you do such a great job of answering them.:D

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Get an SP-97 for your CPU too. That will help a lot with your temps, especially if you're still using the stock hsf.

SP97_news1.jpg

Looks sweet too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The ThermalRights are fantastic but might be overkill. Depending on your motherboard, have a look at the Zalman 7000alcu (cheaper option) its great performance and very very quiet.#

The rest looks pretty good :) . You might want to watch your NB cooler (if its not passive) and your hard drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Col_Loki
    what do you mean by (if its not passive) ?
    I have a little fan with on it that came with my MB. I hope that be ok.

My computer also gets very hot sometimes up to 56c at load :). It does a great job in heating my room just leave it on for a few hours and my room is the bigest in the house. Its runs at about 44c when doing noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yeah, it's a touch on the warm side alright but not excessively so.
    By, "passive," he meant is it just a heat sink? As the NB tends to get warm too. The little fan that came with it should be fine but later down the line you may find it starts whining or the fan dies and you might need to replace it should that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I have what I think is a Thermaltake Volcano fan on the cpu at the moment.. Not sure which one but it is (could be a Volcano 11 (it has an orange fan) but dosen't have a speed control and the sensor dosent seem to be attached.

I'm a bit scared to remove it from the CPU so i was thinking of keeping it for the time being. Are they a decent enough solution?

Is the Sonata worth the extra money?

• Advertisement

I have a little fan with on it that came with my MB. I hope that be ok.

Thats whats known as Active cooling, ie moving ...... the fan.

Passive cooling is just like a heatsink with no fan attached. For the NB it is generally fine to cool it passivly as it doesent run too hot. The NB fan can be a bugger when you have everything else silenced.....
    I have what I think is a Thermaltake Volcano fan on the cpu at the moment..

Im not 100% sure about the Volcano 11, but the Volcano7 has got to be one of the loudest fans ive ever ever heard. It adjusted its speed according to case temps and if you didnt have 5 case fans on full rpm it would sound like a jet plane.

Theres not much point in going for silence if you have a noisey CPU fan, this can be the worst offender. Once you have a nice fitting flat heat screw driver you should be fine to take it off. Even remove the motherboard if your having alot of problems.

The TT Volcano7 was a b*tch to take off at first , now its much easier.

Originally posted by Col_Loki
    The TT Volcano7 was a b*tch to take off at first , now its much easier.

Thanks for the reply.
    Prob go for the Zalman 7000alcu mentioned above.

Watch out for my broken MB post soon :D

If I was going for the Sonata case what are the best fans? The Vantec are ok aren't they?

Probably buying everything at overclockers.co.uk to save on postage.

My boring newbie questions will soon come to an end

Noise reduction, then Papst are very good. Vantec are decent aswell.

Sorry to bring back a long gone thread but I ordered all the above

Antec Sonata

Vantec SF12025L Stealth 120mm fan

Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer

Zalman 7000alcu

and they arrived today.

I'm going to tackle it over the weekend and as this was my first attempt at this sort of thing (screwdrivers & thermal paste necessary etc) I was just wondering if there are any pitfalls to look out for?

My big concern is removing the current Thermaltake and replaceing it with the Zalman (which is bigger than expected and I'm a little worried about space).

One question I do have is: Is the thermal paste/gel that comes with the Zalman or the Artic cooler better or do I just use each for what they were intended.

Thanks for any help.

I'm going to tackle it over the weekend and as this was my first attempt at this sort of thing (screwdrivers & thermal paste necessary etc) I was just wondering if there are any pitfalls to look out for?

No real pitfalls , artic cooler is pretty easy to fit just follow instructions. Zalman is also grand (have a tutorial on website).

Just reading this again you never told me what motherboard you have? Most will fit fine with the Zalman, there are a few that wont. Did you check the website for compatability?

On the thermal paste thing there both prob very simular, not as good as AS5 . Mite stick with the Zalman stuff...........

• Advertisement

Still not entirely sure what motherboard I have :rolleyes:

I asked my brother (who built the PC) and he says it's this one by XFX.

However I ran CPU-Z and it says the manufacturer is AZZA model number KT400-ALH.

Looking up their site that motherboard isn't there anymore but it says they are Chaintech MBs

So looking up the Chantech Socket A boards I am pretty sure it's the 7VJL5 as it has the VIA KT400 Chip and VT8235 Southbridge as well as the 3 DIMM slots.

Looking this up on the Zalman compatibility table it should fit as long as the PSU isn't in the way.

So hopefully I should be ok.

Wont get to start it until next monday now I'd say

Well sure let us know how you get on anyway, and how you find the noise difference!!

Wiil do (if it still works. :( )

Thanks for the help

Advertisement