Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tryin to find the right kind of tattoo...

Options
  • 30-06-2004 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided I want to get a tattoo for my 24th birthday. Basically, I want to get something that combines the themes of love, ocean and music. Problem is, I haven't a clue of anything that combines the three. Anyone know of anything that combines the three? The closest I can think of is a ripcurl where the interior of the wave is in the shape of a heart with a stratocaster tattooed in the curl... which would look completely shite. Boringly enough, I just want something slightly smaller than the diameter of a tennis ball on my right bicep.

I'd feel like a complete prat walking into a parlour with only the vaguest idea of what it is I'm looking for... so, anyone got some ideas that could put me in the right direction?

One other thing I wanted to ask was, what are the effects of putting on/losing weight on a tattoo? I tend to go through cycles of getting fit(ish) over the summer before putting it back on over the winter...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

In my opinion,getting a tatoo should be of something you REALLY like,
    walking into a tattoo parlour and telling the tattooist what you have in mind is the best idea,he's (or she's) seen a hell of a lot more tattoos than you and can probably help you out more than boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

It would be hard to capture the theme you want in such a small diamater I always say your tattoo will pick you and not the other way around. Gaining some extra weight shouldnt effect a tattoo on your bicep unless its a hell of alot and you get stretch marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

goto selestial ring in stepens green.. ask for "mono" she does custom desgins.. and she really is ****kin amazing.. that and shes real loud..! but have a look at her work its worth a shot. that and they are reasonably priced.

dont go for anything tribal cause when i was out over the weekend.. i was with cathal from selestial.. hes fed up to his back teeth of tribal.. he said its gettin too trendy.. he likes all old tribal tho.. like bone tribal or solid black bande etc..

go in an have a look anywho.
    kas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wouldn't be a big fan of the tribal stuff myself. It's become very trendy at to be honest I think a tattoo should be of your own culture and yourself, not another culture you know sfa about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Hell_en_earth

What I do before I get inked is get an idea and just keep drawing different ways and shapes and images of doing it and bring them to my tattooist and then they tend to incorporate them together or i pick one of them and he draw's it out a few times to get use to it!

My old tattooist Aaron in wild eagles will design it for you if you give him a basic idea or pic. and he is very good at it. I recommend going in having a talk about it first. Or getting one of your friends or your self to draw some fague idea of what you want!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Originally posted by Kastro
    goto selestial ring in stepens green.. ask for "mono" she does custom desgins.. and she really is ****kin amazing.. that and shes real loud..

yeah she did my tat and it looks ****in cool!!

i happen to like tribal designs... who gives a **** if its trendy!! it beats the **** out of scummy tats like an irish flag or a tat of a stupid ****in dragon or the grim reaper or skulls or any of that ****e.. put your hand up if ya like tribal!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Groovemerchant

I'm with newband here. Tribal inspired tattoos don't necessarily have to be depicting something from a foreign culture. The term 'Tribal' encompasses many, many different 'tribes'. Even so, it's a style of tattooing, it can be applied to practically any image. I do think that it's great to design your own tats but who says that you can't design something tribal? Like something that's signifigant to you, drawn in tribal style. Anyway, if you got something done in a celtic style, would that be any more original? it's about personal preference really. as for that tattoo artist being fed-up with doing tribal tats; i reckon he's lucky to be in the position to be sick of custom! what does he mean by trendy anyway? I assume he means popular (as opposed to faddish). Tribal tattooing is certainly popular, but in essence all tattoing is tribal in origins. There have been discoveries of ancient frozen mummified remains of early man that are covered in intricate tribal tattoos. It all began as tribal!

personally, I'm not a huge fan of tats with any colour. stark black just looks better to me.

Some Tribal style Tattoos that are available: Native Indian, North American Indian, Pacific Northwest American Indian, Indigenous, African, Egyptian, Mayan, Aztec, Hawaiian, Samoan, Maori, South Pacific, Micronesian, Polynesian, Melanesian, New Zealand, Eskimo, Inuit, Wiccan, Pagan, Gothic, Celtic, Tahitian, Borneo, Oriental, Asian, Japanese, Chinese, Buddhist, Tibetan, Indian, Hindu, Deities, Aboriginal, Fraternal, Military, Heraldic, Ritual, Amulets, Sacred, Mythological, Magical, Alchemy, Folk Art, Astrology, Astronomy, Abstract Tribal, Geometric Tribal

Advertisement