Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - MY ARSE!

• 30-06-2004 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

How can Eircom get away with calling their service 'Broadband'. At times I cannot tell the difference from dialup. Is the fact that you can use the phone at the same time enough to deem the service 'Broadband'? Its a disgrace that we are forking out for such a bad service. What are people on other countries getting for their money? A lot more than us I'll bet. :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Generally there are few enough complaints on here about Eircom speeds. If you detailed your problems (just with Broaband:) I am sure there would be lots of people eager to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by tubes
    How can Eircom get away with calling their service 'Broadband'. At times I cannot tell the difference from dialup. Is the fact that you can use the phone at the same time enough to deem the service 'Broadband'? Its a disgrace that we are forking out for such a bad service. What are people on other countries getting for their money? A lot more than us I'll bet. :mad:

Well, you had the option of going with either IOL or UTV . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Do you mean in speed terms? I'm with IOL and I get 50kbps on downloads no prob there may be a problem with your end if you are getting slow downloads. If it's about anything else - join the queue:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

There’s obviously something wrong with your connection, unless you’re from another country and used to 5mbps lines??

I have eircom and am happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ring tech support, there's obviously something wrong with your setup, your line or your computer.
    As a matter of interest, what spec is the PC you use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Download a large file from ftp.esat.net or ftp.heanet.ie what sorts speeds u getting?
    whats the average speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I have no problems with my Eircom Broadband 512 connection. I constantly get 50-54k/sec downloads and never have any problems with disconnections or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I spent a month going nuts for the same reason.
    My problem was solved by downloading a TCP/IP from a search engine and bingo!
    My speeds shot up to 54-55 KB, and I was able to open the Netopia modem interface finally.
    I presume my settings were knackered by a net accellerator program which I had on board originally.
    It may not be your problem, but ... nothing to lose.
    On a lighter note, I was persuaded by a guru to download an extra adware/ spyware detecting device, but my resident program ate it !! No trace left! Survival of the fittest.
    Don't get rid of any of your expensive programs to try to solve your problem, its probably something simple, but it may take time to find it, better spent learning a few things on the internet rather than listening to someone turn the pages of his manual on the premium phone.
    I would like to thank all those who helped out .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

That should have read TCP/IP Optimiser or optimizer for the yanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

We are getting wireless broadband in about 2 months. 1MB up and down.

Hopefully there will be no problems. The good thing though is that there no CAB limit. Thats the reason for us not getting any eircom, utv or esat. The download limit is FAR to low on those. Plus we will have a LAN connected to it, so we need the bandwidth too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

Originally posted by dub45
    Generally there are few enough complaints on here about Eircom speeds. If you detailed your problems (just with Broaband:) I am sure there would be lots of people eager to help you.

eircom bb and 56k have a big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i have eircom 512k broadband its about 10 times fater than dial up , no complaints here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have eircom also and its fine ,sometimes my modem isnt ready so i have to wait a few seconds after boot to connect to Net but thats my fault didnt want a USb Cpu horsing modem so got a PCi one instead.

But overall i paid for 512/128 i get 55 down 15 up and pings are fine unless its BF and crap netcode.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

keep your BB modem cables away from your monitor lead.

showed someone a test with a netopia with a USB connection (ethernet is nowhere near as bad for this sort of thing btw) where they were downloading a large file. just lay your monitor cable over the top of your modem cable and watch the speed drop to about a 3rd of what it was.

it's easiest to see with something like DU meter, but whatever you're using to download with should have a speed indication of some sort.

there's a lot of EM interference from monitor cables so keep them well away from everything else. bundling them up with cable ties will only make it worse.

Advertisement