Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB, USB connection to Netopia modem... web pages stop downloading, ping works.

Options
  • 01-07-2004 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

My friend has broadband from Eircom, the home starter package with the usual Netopia USB/Ethernet modem thing. He is using the USB interface.

A normal looking Local Area Connection with an IP address assigned to it etc. appears in Network Connections but it is really a USB connection to this modem. I'd prefer to do it via ethernet but his machine doesn't have a NIC and I don't want to go to any extra trouble if it can be avoided.

The connection worked prefectly until yesterday when I uninstalled some spyware (full searches of Ad Aware, Spybot S&D and Hijack This [I was careful removing only things I knew where spyware in Hijack This]) for him yesterday.

Whenever he tries to surf the web now it works fine for 5 or 10 minutes (roughly 20 pages) then web requests just stop working. Even calling up the modem's configuration page http://192.168.1.254/ doesn't respond.

The strange thing is that the network connection still appears sound in Network Connections and I can still telnet to the modem and ping the modem and Google, MSN etc. I've tried releasing and renewing the IP, disabling and then re-enabling the connection... pretty much everything I can think of. I've also uninstalled the software that provides the USB - Modem interface and re-installed it.

He is using XP Home, just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I go ahead and install an ethernet card in the machine and see if that works.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This may not be much help - but de-install Spybot ! I downloaded it last week and there is some smart monitoring facility (can't remember the name) which seemed to play havoc with my web browsing (in-between my wireless dropping) - I de-installed it and everything was ok again (wireless still drops but that's a separate issue)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Thanks a lot mate, I'll give that a try.

Advertisement