Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law

Options
  • 01-07-2004 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Perhaps someone can help me out here...If you have any sort of a Degree, you can skip a few years of LAW at a later stage, as a mature student?
    fact or fiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

to the best of my knowledge anyone can sit the law exams required to become as solicitor at blackhall place.

however it does help to have a law degree of course to do so but it is not necessary.

difficulty can arise however do to the fact that to do the time in the law society you have to do get an apprenticeship with some form of law firm. this will be easier to obtain if you have a degree and even then its still very difficult. however there is a list of that you can be put on in the law society for solicitors who are looking to take on apprenticeships. however the person i know doing this found it easier to get they're foot in the door as a general office junior in a law company and to use that foot hold to get their apprenticeship.

with regards to doing an actual law degree, even on top of a different degree as a mature student or otherwise i would expect that you have to do a full law degree to get the law degree no skipping of any stage as you are no more qualified to do it then anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

You don't really need a law degree to become a lawyer at all. You can just do a normal degree and then a conversion course that takes one/two years, then sit various exams etc etc. I would say it's probably a better idea to do law if you want to become a barrister though. Solicitor's firms will appreciate things like languages or science (indispensable for intellectual property law).

Getting in the door of a solicitor's firm is all to do with results and extracurricular. Sure a small firm will take you on if your dad plays golf with their dad, but in big law firms (especially in the UK) they only take the best people, it doesn't matter who you know.

Advertisement