Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped help needed

Options
  • 01-07-2004 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a moped for zipping around Dublin to and from college, ive no experience driving one, so for a start how much do they cost and how do i get insured?
    Also how much fuel do they guzzle?
    Is the buy and sell the place to look?
    I sat the computer test for the provisional three years ago and its expired, do i have to re-sit or renew?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by canavanbn@hotma
    I sat the computer test for the provisional three years ago and its expired, do i have to re-sit or renew?

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by canavanbn@hotma
    Thinking of buying a moped for zipping around Dublin to and from college, ive no experience driving one, so for a start how much do they cost and how do i get insured?
    Have you even bothered looking about? Mopeds cost different prices, just like cars do. Insurance will only be available through Hibernian.
    Also how much fuel do they guzzle?
    Again, like cars, different mopeds have different fuel economies. Not much though is your answer.
    Is the buy and sell the place to look?
    No, it's the worst place to look for mopeds. Go to any bike shop. They can also arrange insurance for you. Pat Barron are in Tallaght (so they sell a lot of mopeds :p), and you see them do special deals on bikes/insurance from time to time. Shop around for the best deal on a second hander.
    No idea. It should say on the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Aon apparently are changing from Hibernian to AXA. Rang up for an idea how much my renewal would be, turns out it's about the same as Hibernian.

Nothing on the AXA website about bike insurance and I presume there won't be. aaaaaanyway..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have a car and I got one for just going into town and getting around at rush hour,they are great most times now I take the bike into work so in ended up using it more than the car.About 5 Euro will fill most of them up,4 50 used to fill mine up dam the price of fuel is going through the roof.

If you want a new one you would be looking at around 2000 min up to 3500 but you can get a good used one,I would not go near the buy and seel for one you never no what you are getting try any bike shop.

As for insurance what age are you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

You can get a decent second hand moped for a little under €1000 these days,(id suggest a 99' Suzuki Katana as the engines in these were bulletproof) and your insurance will probably be €1000-€1500.
    You'll have to re-sit the test obviously
    The advantages of a moped is the fact you only pay a tenner(if even) a week on petrol and getting through traffic is no bother.
    dont bother going for one if you have a need for speed as you'll get pissed off with it within a week imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement