Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - The Train in the Drain?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The line was actually sold off to private holders so the RPA had to buy the land back.

Plus, I think I remember mentioning many other reasons why it might be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

you would think they would have spent the money on something more productive like fixing our bloody roads. Im sick to death of driving on crap roads that put my car into bad order even when i go at 20 mph.

I heard that irish men built the roads in the uk... why not fix our roads with that money.

Its a sham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Railway Procurement Agency indicates that a global amount of euro 36 million was spent by the Agency up to the end of 2002 on land acquisition in respect of the Luas project. From Famous Brennan

Yep, other costs like paying to contractors for doing nothing for 4 years and getting no where, when they get somewhere pay them bonuses. Now I understand you DadaKopf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

as for the price,it goes to places where ppl have no other choice but to take it,its that or two buses...it goes nowhere near me so i couldnt care less if it blows up or ends up in the liffey...but surely some people appreciate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

There has been so many figures banded around I dont even know any more how much it costs. But €1,5bn for the two line, LUAS does seem expensive.

However it looks good, its a nice journey, quite, clean, friendly, guarnteed arrival time, relatively fast, and it will be worth the money over its life time. So im impressed that we actually have it rolling.

Its one of the first major infastuture peices in Ireland, we didnt have the "knowledge or expertese" in building such projects in the past, so it was bound to result in over runs.

Just look at the US or UK or the rest of Europe, there is load of examples of over runs. The jubalee line was one such example, and they have tons of experinece in building lines.

Bertie was in the Dail saying that we cant go ahead with the rest of the Metro/LUAS scheme. He never head the vision thing and is best suited in delivering deals.

Its time for some forsight, In the indo recently it was saying that Dublin will have a population of 2million in the next 10 years and eventually 2,5 million. It wil deperately need a city wide LUAS/METRO. I say the government should urgently press ahead with the airport link in the autumn!!

Underground more expensive, and even more bragging rights, so I fail to see your point

I thought they introduced a law to make all land below 10 meters property of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    I thought they introduced a law to make all land below 10 meters property of the state.

I was referring to the construction cost, not the acquisition cost.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnJoe

Its all about what Dublin needs, yes, it needs a metro, underground favourably. More importantly, Ireland needs a new government. While some cabinet members are doing a decent job, others are not worth their weight in lead.

I would favour a FG,Labour and Green alliance. I think it will be interesting to see how they mamage but I am jst sick of FF at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But €1,5bn for the two line, LUAS does seem expensive.
    Because it's the wrong figure, it would appear that €775m is the likely figure.
    That was in Spain. We have the problem of having constitutional property rights where you own everything from the centre of the earth up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

They wouldn't be able to change that with a law, there'd have to a referendum to change the consitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

does that mean of you don't dig at a slight inward angle you're actually cutting into your neighbours plot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, all you gotta do is dig straight down, but yes the plot area would get smaller and smaller.

I think the two World Trade Centre buildings were about a foot further apart at the top than they were at the bottom.

Advertisement