Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asian films coming to UGC?

• 01-07-2004 6:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I just picked up the July edition of UGC's free movie magazine. In it there's an article about 7 asian films that are coming to UGC. Does anyone know if they are coming to the Dublin branch?

For those that haven't/won't read this magazine the 7 films are:

Gozu - Takashi Miike
    A Tale of 2 Sisters - Korean psychological horror
    Phone - Korean horror
    The Isle - Korean
    Save the Green Planet - Korean mix of sci-fi/thriller/comedy/craziness
    Into the Mirror - Korea
    Chaos - Japan (Hideo Nakata)

I've seen 'A Tale of 2 Sisters' and 'Save the Green Planet' and can wholeheartedly recommend them. 'The Isle' is also supposed to be pretty great and I've been meaning to watch it for a while now. 'The Phone' not so great apparently. Dont' know anything about 'Into the Mirror'.
    The 2 Japanese films speak for themselves - one's Takashi Miike and the other's Hideo Nakata so both should be interesting enough.

Anyone else seen some of these movies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Looks interesting, I like the way UGC now seems to have a policy of showing more foreign and independant stuff alongside the blockbusters.

Now if only IFI would have a Hayao Miyazaki season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

'The Isle' was heavily cut in the UK for animal violence. It'll be interesting to see whether it's released uncut here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Was at the preview for Ju On: The Grudge last night in UGC (which I recommend highly by the way). It gets a general release tomorrow as well, but before it they had a trailer for Gozu. Looked incredibly weird, but what do you expect from Takashi Miike!

So I guess they will all be shown at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Well the trailer was in Japanese with no subtitles, so it consisted of a lot of people screaming. Another had this cow or something licking this guys face and then he starts screaming. I have to say I nearly fell off my seat laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

As far as I can tell from the UGC magazine they are all coming to Dublin as well.

I was at Ju-on last night too...

I was a bit disappointed... call me old fashioned.. but I like my films with a bit of a plot... not just a bunch of mad scary **** for the sake of it...

It reminded me a little bit of Kairo.. except Kairo is alot more unsettling...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah this is good news if it's true. I've been catching more of the foreign run of movies lately ("The Return" is particularly good) and would like to see some foreign horror (I think the last they showed was "Dark Waters" which I enjoyed). I'll catch "Ju On" next week.
    BTW, to settle a debate, for those of you who saw "Ju On: The Grudge" here - was Chiaki Kuriyama (Gogo in "Kill Bill: Vol. 1" and the psycho in "Battle Royale) in the movie because she's in the trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Save The Green Planet is on as part of the Galway Film Fleadh, and is playing on Tuesday the 6th of July at 23.00 in the Town Hall Theater.

I'll certainly be heading along, anyone care to join me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

its not surpiring theyre showing more asian films,since alot of the clientel to the ugc are asian, which is a bonus, cos of the high calibre of films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I LOVE japanese horror film's cuase they really know how to make you squirm, like in The Audition, and The Ring 2.

Anyway, i think that i might take a look at A Tale Of Two Sisters, Phone, The Isle and Into The Mirror. I'm glad that somewhere in Dublin is finally showing some of these films on the big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Kain
    I'm glad that somewhere in Dublin is finally showing some of these films on the big screen.

*cough* IFI *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

okay not exatly usefull to anyone living outside of Dublin but for all ye familliar with the UGC on Parnell street (or any card-holders like myself) I thought you may like to know that The new Takashi Miike "Gozu" is being realeased there this thursday 30th July.
    its part of an up-coming Tartan asia extreme festival, 'ju-on' is also being released and so is 'save the green planet' along with an arse load of others.
    So many 'asian cinema' threads have been started lately its nice to see the films hitting the big screen so close to home. I'll re-check whats coming out and post up again later.
    -fnn

Advertisement