Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech Vs Greece

• 01-07-2004 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Im going for a Czech 2-1/3-2 win tonight. There is plenty of Czech players who are good going forward and should get the goal. The greeks should score 1 or 2 as the czechis look dodgey at the back.

I think the Greeks can defend well and keep it tight at the back. They didnt get to the Semi's for nothing. They are a boring side to watch and hopefully the czechis will put us out of our misery: P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Agree with all that except I don't think the Greeks have been boring. Italy, Germany, Holland, France etc. etc. all far worse in this tournament. At least Greece are giving it an honest go which is more than can be said for that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

pre euro 2004
    i got czech to win it and baros to be top scorer at 100 -1
    and czech to win it at 14 -1

:):)
    lookin good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I think the Czechs will win by 2 or 3 goals tonight. The Greeks gameplan is based on defending well, working extremely hard and trying to catch teams on the break but this only works if they are ahead or the sides are level.

I fancy the Czechs to score first tonight as they have more up front than the other teams Greece have faced so far. This will mean the Greeks will have to come out to try and score at some stage leaving them vulnerable to the counter themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I hope the czech's score first otherwise i can see it being a very boring match.
    I have a lot of respect for the greek team to have made it this far, but for an impartial viewer they aren't the kind of team you want to see win the whole thing.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just for a bit of fun. These are the odds PP have given for the first ITV commentary cliché. The exact phrase has to be used. I'll listen to ITV's commentary (:o) and see can I spot it.

He'll miss the final 4 - 1
    Touching distance 10 - 1
    Surprise package 10 - 1
    Date with destiny 12 - 1
    A tense affair 12 - 1
    The tournaments only 100% record 12 - 1
    Greek Tragedy 12 - 1
    The dark horses 12 - 1
    He'll be disappointed with that 16 - 1
    Czech Mate 16 - 1
    Taste of glory 20 - 1
    The last hurdle 20 - 1
    The Bouncing Czechs 20 - 1
    End of the road 20 - 1
    There'll be no work done on the Olympic stadium tonight 25 - 1
    Last chance saloon 25 - 1
    The cruellest game to lose 25 - 1
    57 Varieties 25 - 1
    Benitez will like what he's seen 25 - 1
    Like Denmark in 92 25 - 1
    They deserve to be here 25 - 1
    Greek Gods 33 - 1
    Herculaean Performance 33 - 1

I'll go with Suprise Package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Greek Gods might be a good one to go for. I can imagine the commentator saying at the start that this will be a showdown between the Greek Gods and the Czech whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If Clive Tyldesley gets wind of this he could make a fortune. Or his family or friends who can call him on the mobile. "Make sure you say Herculaean Performance first".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lol, thats funny, but i still couldn't listen to the ITV commentary

i'll go for
    The tournaments only 100% record 12 - 1

czechs to win of course, fair play to the greeks and the czechs do have an imperfect defense but i can see the czechs scoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Czechs to win (please!) in normal time.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Dark Horeses , although I dont have ITV and have rarely listened to it .

Whats the chances of him somhow mentioning 'that night in Barcelona '

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-1 czechies

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

good opening start by the czechies !!
    great strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,ll go for there'll be no work done on the olympic stadium tonight at 25 to 1 but I hope it doesn't come true as I want the czechs to win.

Good start from them. they look up for it.

Czechs flattering to deceive! The Greeks very impressive in the way they're kep both the front men shackled while harring the midfield. Could be a long night.

Mike.

Should be interesting to see the Czech's without Nedved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nasty looking knee injury i'd say thats the end of his involvment in this tournament and his absence be a major blow even if they get past the greeks which is far from a given at half time.

Im a lot more impressed with this Greek side, they have put in the performance and worked hard. But they are looking tired now..

oh no... the greeks have scored :dunno: bye bye czechis

Greece score and they've won!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Holy crap. what odds were Greece at the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

feckin great !!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

fair play to greece, hope they win it now, they deserve it.

i always backed greece. i should have put the money on for them to get to the final.

I think its quite obvious Liam Brady had a few quid on the Czech's, he doesn't look a happy man. There'll be no work done on the Olympic stadium tonight! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Greece... deserve it? What?

Possibly the most boring and shit side to ever make a major final.

Still though, the writing was on the wall as soon as Nedved limped off.

You gotta wonder why Marek Heinz was'nt on the pitch about 20 mins before time you feel he would have made the difference.

The Portugese will be crapping themselves at the thought of being shut out for 120 mins in front of thier home crowd and having to win on penos.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

greece are terrible to watch.

its gonna be a poxy final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Stop watching Eamon Dunphy. The greeks beat Portugal, France and now the Czechs. Thats 3 of the 4 teams that finished top of their group. They deserve to be there, not once did they need penalties to win. They played well and stopped the Czechs from scoring only team to do that this tournament I think.

Dont be shocked if they beat Portugal AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm in shock. I cant belive Greece won. It was going so well for me. i had a 0-0 draw a 13/2 and for Czechs to win it on penos AND to win euro 2004 at 14/1. I couldnt belive it when Greece scored in the last second on extra time. there wasnt even a chance for the czechs to get back into the game.

I was saying before the match Portugal vs. Czech Republic would be a great final but i cant see Portugal v. Greece being a classic. I watched the first game and it wasnt very good.

Czechs should of took there chances, and Heinz should of been on for Baros who was very poor tonight.

So now i have Portugal to WIN it outright on sunday as my last chance.

gutted. koller missed an absolute sitter after some good play by rosicky and baros had one decent effort
    was unfortunate nedved went off and the czechs really should have scored

anyone watching ITV would've had the pleasure of hearing des lynam still whining about the disallowed goal
    if portugal win we'll never hear the end of it, just like ronaldinho and the "fluke goal"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I lost my money as but i do have a lot of respect for the greeks they battled worked hard and at times actually played football.
    I think putting on smicer for nedved was a mistake he played poorly should have brought on heniz insted he may not be a left winger but jankulofski plays as one anyway so heniz could have added far more.
    Also he is taller than smicer and migt have headed the corner clear but maybe im clutching at straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Greeks were still at 33s when they got into the quarters, and now they are going to play a team that they have already beaten in this competition. Anybody else think that both finalists got a little help ?

its ok for the greeks to stick 11 men behind the ball, if not using the hoof method, but england and liverpool get slated everytime they use it!

greece are a poor side, but hardworking, and i cant believe they havn't been found out yet!

gutted!

They can pass it ,they can get it ,they strong work hard and have some flair Karounis is a class player with the ball at his feet.

They in the final they have beaten 3 of the top teams in the world to NIL.

maybe england and pool get it so bad cos of the players they have doing it ?

Well played Greece hope they win it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It certainly was a heart breaking result... The Czechs are by far the better team but were beaten my Greece's tactice. Fair played to them, thats three big wins in this tournament, the hosts, the tournaments favourites and now the 2nd favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

greece are a poor side, but hardworking, and i cant believe they havn't been found out yet!
    I said it before the tournament that I felt the standard of international football was at an all time low and I feel justified now.
    It seems coaches are going back to the bad old days of defensive football.
    If a team is physically strong,fast and disciplined they will succeed.
    To break down a team such as Greece you need a dribbler,someone who will take on men ,suck them in to create space for other players.
    What we saw throughout the whole tournament were teams afraid to commit men forward or attempt to beat an opponent.
    This will suit a side such as Greece .
    I didnt have great expectations for this tournament but it has been far worse than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Teams should stick to their strengths or wherever they can outplay their opponents. Its obvious that the greeks dont have the individual skill that other teams such as France, Czech Rep and Portugal have.

They have proven they are no fluke by beating 3 top rated teams. There play isnt horribly defence like most would make out. Liverpool for instance used to play far more defencivly... I've not watched them in a long time as they bored me to death and I used to support them :D (Well I guess I still do... just cant watch them anymore :) )

They are very attacking in their defence. They may get a lot of people behind the ball but they still attack it. They dont back off it.Just about anytime they dispossesed a czech player there were 2 / 3 of them standing within 5 foot of the ball. If Greece's play is so obvious then everyteam should have a game plan thought up before the game to break them down. If a team is unable to do that it probably means they lack the know how / talent / whatever to do so. This is international football. The people playing, coaching and instructing the teams are meant to of a high calibur so someone isnt doing their job or perhaps the Greeks are actually doing something right

Spot on Damn yanks but also when greece got they ball they instantly tried to attack and if it broke down they tried again and again.

If irleand played like we be delighted:)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    There'll be no work done on the Olympic stadium tonight! ;):D
    So, it won't make a difference then huh?!

WOOOHOOO

Well done Greece! SYXARITIRIA!

Stupidly I saw the match slap bang in the centre of Athens, not even thinking tht Greece would win and it would take us hours to get out of the throngs of Greeks hoarding the roads.

Great fun! GWAN TEH GREEKS!

I must say i was disapointed to see the Greeks in the final from a purely footballing point of view. Lets be honest the czechs are defintely the better team in that respect. However the result speaks for itself and if they won then they should be in the final.

Football these days seems to be about organisation and gettting the basics right. There isnt a lot of outstanding (motivated) players in the teams. There is no reason why Ireland shouldnt reach at least the Quarter Final or Semi Final of the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    i always backed greece. i should have put the money on for them to get to the final.

Yeah of course u did

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

(bah, I lost my original post on this, here is the jist of it)

CZ deserved to win the match in the 90 mins, they created all the chances
    and should have scored several times.
    GR defended well.

The game changed in extra time, GR created a few chances, CZ looked
    more tired (GR dont seem to tire - I hope they aren't using Olympian
    substances!).

Overall a steal, GR players feel lucky themselves and are in a dream.

The quality of football is not lower than in recent times, all teams are now
    becoming better and more difficult to beat ...

Originally posted by Dewey
    I'm in shock. I cant belive Greece won. It was going so well for me. i had a 0-0 draw a 13/2
    I hope you didn't throw out that bet because you won. As soon as the 90 minutes are over, the match is over in the bookies eyes.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I hope you didn't throw out that bet because you won. As soon as the 90 minutes are over, the match is over in the bookies eyes.

yep yep, your dead right eirebhoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

What a travesty, I lost my ass on the Czechs. I hope the Greeks get a fcuking hammering in the final the scroungers.

Originally posted by G
    What a travesty, I lost my ass on the Czechs. I hope the Greeks get a fcuking hammering in the final the scroungers.
    Will you bet on them?

I'm suprised with so many people unhappy that the Greek's are in the final. I will always cheer on the minnows and 90 minutes of defensive football by Greek doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the final.

Originally posted by VinnyL
    its ok for the greeks to stick 11 men behind the ball, if not using the hoof method, but england and liverpool get slated everytime they use it!
    gutted!

england and liverpool have players that should be capable of more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

FANTASTIC RESULT!!!!!!!!!!

I dislike Milan Baros

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh way to go editing your post Shiek! Now I look like the raving lunatic! :)

Im looking forward to the Final tbh. Would be great imho if the greeks turn the portugese over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement